PDA

View Full Version : Brake issue need Help!

Cr33p3r
September 20th, 2012, 01:59 AM
After swapping out my passenger axle shaft and putting the correct backing plate on the brakes on that side is making a loud clicking noise when drive and it jerks the truck. I jacked it up and put it on stands, rotated the tire while like in the adjust hole and notice that the brakes are shifting to the back when it makes the clicking noise.

I took the drum off and found the (tan)rear top spring was dropped down and the e-brake adjuster cable carrier was out of the whole it sits in. Upon further insepction found the last coil on the same spring was bent outward and causing it not to stay mounted correctly. Replaced sring and still having the same issue with eh brakes moving to the rear and and clicking. This rearward movement is causing the e-brake lever to be pulled and tightening the brakes to where the rotational force of the tire is popping the brakes back to where they should be.

So any ideas on what is happening?

I did try adjust the brakes both lighter and looser with the only effect was it got worse the tighter I adjusted them. Noticed the drum is a tiny bit out of round but I did not have this issue before changing the backing plate.

Hypoid
September 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Try swapping out the drum with one of the extras. Also, look closely for witness marks on the back of the axle flange.

Patrolman
September 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Is the axle shaft bent? You mentioned you replaced it, but it could be bent ever-so-slightly.

Hypoid
September 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I got a call at lunchtime; it was a bent shaft. His next plan was to install the other shaft and see if it worked.

Hopefully, the P.O. did not play Dukes of Hazzard with the donor vehicle. :rolleyes:

Patrolman
September 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
It sounded like a bent shaft. Since the drum fits directly onto the end of the shaft, if it is bent it is going to keep throwing the drum around and messing up the backing plate and shoes. At least it wasn't too big of a deal.

Hypoid
September 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The thought crossed my mind as I drove to work this morning. Once I'm there, I'm in an internet vacuum. ;)

Cr33p3r
September 21st, 2012, 05:47 AM
Thanks Mike and Jeff,,

Yes the newer shaft was bent just a tiny bit I got a video of it and will post it up once I get home. So after seeing that I pulled the otherspare shaft and installed it. Funny thing is that it was the former drivers side shaft on my new spare 9" and yet it was the same length as both my passenger side shafts. Anyhow I got it in and put the newer(spare) drum on and walla no clicking or movement of the shoes, at this point I got another phone call and while on the phone I figured I best replace the rubber boot on the wheel cylinder and then I mistakenly put the old drum back on and the wheel, fired up the truck put it in gear and damn same problem popped up.
So now when I get home it take the tire and old drum off and put the spare drum back on and try again with the tire on and see if it happens or not. One thing I did notice yesterday was the both sets of new brake shoes are different than the old ones, the pads are riveted lower on the metal part of the shoe, not that it is affecting it because I had those on previously with no problems.

Hypoid
September 21st, 2012, 06:11 AM
I found out I had a bent shaft when I took the drums in to be turned. I was lucky to have a mechanic who recognized the problem, and explained the significance of an egged out drum. I hope it's just the drum...

Cr33p3r
September 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Watch the drum and the E-brake cable and you will see they are in sinc.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/th_009_zps07371285.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/scwinddancers/?action=view&current=009_zps07371285.mp4)

Patrolman
September 21st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Just be glad you aren't the guy who I saw on the way to work this morning on I-25 at Belleview. Guy was in a flatbed dually contractor style truck. I believe the lug nuts came off on the driver side. There was a large brake drum in the center lane that was smoking. At least 1 tire/rim was in the right lane. And there was random metal parts all over the place. Poor guys truck was all caddywompus. Luckily he made it to the side of the road, but there was a huge gash in the asphalt.

Cr33p3r
September 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
That is scary I had a similar episode with a 3/4 ton Van that the whole axle shaft, drum, and tire came out of the axle housing right in front of me on I-25.

Patrolman
September 21st, 2012, 12:37 PM
That would be because it was a semi-floating axle and the shaft either broke or the clip came off. The truck this morning was a full-floating axle, so it was either a bearing failure or the lugnuts, but likely the lugnuts.

Cr33p3r
September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Glad my 9" uses a retainer, by the way I got it fixed late yesterday afternoon, reinstalled the original axle shaft and drum but made my own retainer and it seems to be working great so far with no brake issues or leaking seal.

Rick
September 22nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
:thumb::thumb::thumb: now go play

Cr33p3r
September 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Here is a pic of the retainer I made

Hypoid
September 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
That looks effective! :jiggy:

After looking at this mock up, I'm thinking about those paper gaskets you mentioned, and the axle end play. Without opening a book, I'm guessing the gaskets are for adjusting the bearing pre-load.

So, does the JY axle have two bent shafts?