PDA

View Full Version : CO2 tank question

dr350jja
October 18th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I'm looking for some feedback from anyone using a CO2 tank out on the trails. The instructions with the new tank I got, shows that it should not be operated BELOW 32* F. I don't get it; what am I supposed to do on a snow run, when I need to air back up? That's crazy :frown:

Chris
October 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, you carry it in back Jim? I do but I'm enclosed and it never gets to 32° inside. You may just have to have it behind your seat...

dr350jja
October 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Well, that's my whole dilemma. I'm trying to figure out WHERE to mount this tank. So, now I guess in the bed will be out of the question. Guess I should pull out one of the back seats and mount it there??

Jim
October 18th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Why no below 32F? Is it for freezing of the compressed gas in the tank (I'd think not) or for freezing of the nozzle as the gas transitions from the high pressure tank to the low pressure valve & hose assembly (any high to low pressure operation is subject to temp lowering and perhaps freezing where the valve could be frozen open).

32F is freezing for water but I wonder if this applies to CO2...

EDIT: Freezing point for CO2 is -109F, I can't see the material freezing in the tank, so perhaps when it's transitioning from High-to-Low pressure it could freeze a valve open?

Not an answer, just tossing some thoughts.

Chris
October 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Interesting Jim, all I can add is that freezing happens on a hot day in July so your theory strikes me as quite valid.

Robert B
October 18th, 2012, 09:36 PM
just a thought but it might have nothing to do with the Co2 but with any water in there..... if that freezes i think those tanks are under high pressure and the freezing water coud crack something .

ExplorerTom
October 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Apparently CO2 tanks condensate and the regulator can freeze during heavy use.

what about using nitrogen instead?

Serious Offroad
October 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM
CO2 is stored in your tank as a liquid, that's why they last so long.

Nitrogen is not, you would get very limited use out of a bottle of nitrogen.

The higher the ambient temp, the greater the pressure in the tank. The inverse is tru as well.

There isn't any water in your CO2 tank.

dr350jja
October 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I would think it has something to do freezing, because the instructions also state; "if temperatures are below 104*F, heat may need to be required to maintain tank pressure." I don't have any experience with these tanks, which is the reason for my query.

Squshiee1
October 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM
It has to be mounted upright though, Michael tried it laying down, and right away things started to freeze as soon as he turned it right side up, he had no issues with it freezing.

Chris
October 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Upright during use is all that's needed, you can carry it laying down without issues.

dr350jja
October 19th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I'm just bummed because I wanted to mount it somewhere in the bed, but now I don't think that's such a good idea. Really didn't want to take up space in the cab.

Hypoid
October 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I would think it has something to do freezing, because the instructions also state; "if temperatures are below 104*F, heat may need to be required to maintain tank pressure." I don't have any experience with these tanks, which is the reason for my query.104 FREAKING DEGREES! Where are you supposed to store it, under the hood? I think the recommendation is for psychological value.

Along with everything Frank said, the law of conservation applies here, 40 billion molecules at 104*F, is still 40 billion molecules if you drop the temp to 32*F. The only change will be the pressure inside the tank, and the tire.

I vote you try it first.

dr350jja
October 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Well I got some really disconcerting news today. I picked up a Smittybilt CO2 tank at truckfest, this past summer. I was calling around today trying to find a place that would fill it. One place told me that they would NOT fill any Smittybilt CO2 tank, because they are not sure the tank is certified properly, and have heard about the regulator blowing out on them. He told me that PowerTank, in Calif. is doing some testing on these Smittybilt CO2 tanks. So, to me, it sounds like the Smittybilt CO2 tanks may have the proper stampings on them, but they may be bogus. Now I'm second guessing my choice of getting this tank in the first place. Maybe I should just return the dang thing.

CS79bronco
October 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
From using CO2 tanks years ago to clean refrigeration units, seems the freezing causes problems with the regulator, and may shut off the flow of gas & damage the regulator. Conceivably the freezing could crack the regulator or fittings & cause quick frozen fingers or other damage.
Regarding the Smittybuilt tanks, I read on a forum somewhere recently that "some company" was selling cheap Chinese made tanks with counterfeit stampings so buyer beware. Since 4Wheel Parts etc owns Smittybuilt now I am not surprised.

Chris
October 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
If you can return it do it Jim. No reason in the world to carry what may be a defective tank.

I use a Power Tank and ne'er have had any issues at any temperature. Yes, the line out from the regulator does frost over sometimes.

Patrolman
October 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Ditto. I would return it. If they give you too much crap, ask at least for a store credit, but I would expect them to give you a refund. If it can't be filled, then it is a useless paperweight.

Jim
October 19th, 2012, 08:17 PM
WoW - Yea, I wouldn't want high pressure energy, contained in a questionable vessele, anywhere near me.

If they won't refund for the tank, could the tank be tested / certified independently? (as in, aren't scuba tanks and fire extinghishers tested?)

dr350jja
October 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Regarding the Smittybuilt tanks, I read on a forum somewhere recently that "some company" was selling cheap Chinese made tanks with counterfeit stampings so buyer beware. Since 4Wheel Parts etc owns Smittybuilt now I am not surprised.

I've been searching on-line and can't find any info to substantiate a claim of bogus stampings on the tank. Has anyone ever used these Smittybilt tanks, or know of someone that has? They've been out for a number of years now, so I would think there must be some information about them :frown:

Chris
October 19th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Red Comet moved from Englewood to Thorton but thry're a excellent company that I've used for years. I suggest giving them a call and see what they know about the rumors. They also do the certification testing.

dr350jja
October 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Good thought Chris. I'll give them a call to ask about filling this tank and get any info.

dr350jja
October 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Well, I don’t know what to think. I had the CO2 tank filled at Red Comet, in Northglenn, today and bought a mounting bracket from them. They didn’t see anything wrong with the tank, so who knows.

Chris
October 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Trust them Jim, they aren't going to risk their name and reputation for a couple dollar refill. They didn't see any need to test them so you can relax and enjoy. Toss it in the back of the truck and see how it performs in the changing temps we're having.