PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek - when there's enough snow

Jim
October 24th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Rock Creek is on the list for Rob and I since last winter. I have never been to the top (and wish to get there) and Rob's the same - but he wishes to give the next try when there's ??4-6"?? of snow on the ground.

While snow is season starting, I'd expect a few weeks to pass before that area has 4-6 inches.

If this is something you'd be interested in, pipe up, as the snow will get to a point for us to pick a date.

Edit: info links...

Trail Damage
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=244

Colorado Ski History
http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lost/rockcreek.html

ExplorerTom
October 25th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Out of curiosity, why does snow make this trail better? Or do you just want some snow on it, but not too much, to add a little something extra to it?

Rick
October 25th, 2012, 07:01 AM
sounds fun

Tom
October 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Rock Creek is on the list for Rob and I since last winter. I have never been to the top (and wish to get there) and Rob's the same - but he wishes to give the next try when there's ??4-6"?? of snow on the ground.

While snow is season starting, I'd expect a few weeks to pass before that area has 4-6 inches.

If this is something you'd be interested in, pipe up, as the snow will get to a point for us to pick a date.Don't you want to wait until the snow drifts in and has several freeze thaw cycle so its like ice like last spring? :lmao:

otisdog
October 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Don't you want to wait until the snow drifts in and has several freeze thaw cycle so its like ice like last spring? :lmao:

Jim wants to get using that new winch.

The Other Jim

Jim
October 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Don't you want to wait until the snow drifts in and has several freeze thaw cycle so its like ice like last spring? :lmao:

Then just toss in a downed tree to make it perfect!

As for winches...

Since I was a kid, when I saw a winch on a vehicle I thought they were cool. It was a different tool you could "do stuff with". Add in mud, snow, physics - a nice mix of mental and physical "what's the best way to solve this problem". So, yes, using one I put into the "fun" category (even thought why it needs to be used might not be classed as fun).

Colin
October 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sounds like fun.

Jim
October 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Out of curiosity, why does snow make this trail better? Or do you just want some snow on it, but not too much, to add a little something extra to it?

To answer this directly, no clue. I have been on the trail three times. Two of them in deep snow (mid winter last season) in which not much progress was had. The last was early spring last season with Rob and Tom IIRC (the time with the large, downed tree across the trail that we spent ?hours? manually hacking and sawing and winching to move aside).

Through none of the trips have I been to the top. Rob, IIRC, said the same. It seems he and I have this odd "goal" of getting to the top. Aside from the difficulty encountered with the trail I don't see the trail as a big destination in itself. It's somewhat "just a trail" though it is close to the northern front range and does have some history (old ski hill operation).

Edited post 1 with info web links.

Chris
October 25th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'd be up for it as long as we don't spend hours sitting in the snow like last attempt.

Rick
October 25th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I'm in if the schedule works out

Rob
October 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I don't think we'd want to wait a few weeks. It might already have a few inches of snow.

Jim
October 25th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I don't think we'd want to wait a few weeks. It might already have a few inches of snow.

I was awaiting your comment. What're you thinking - this weekend? I'm hearing that next week could be a warm time (Wx only shows temps through Tues so far).

Rob
October 25th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to be warm next week, but with some snow predicted for that area on Friday, Nov. 2. This weekend's probably too early for me. How about Saturday, Nov. 3?

Jim
October 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Nov 3 can work for me.

How about anyone else?

I'll hold off posting it as a run until we can see a weather prediction for Nov 3.

Rick
October 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
busy Nov.3rd but the 10th looks good for me as of now, but do as you will for my schedule can change with holidays around the corner

otisdog
October 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I may be able to go if I get my dog problems worked out

trailfiend
October 26th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I could be in, dislocated shoulder means nothin' but hiking and wheeling for me for a bit.

Colin
October 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Spring Creek had 3-4 inches today and was REALLY FUN!!!! Cant wait for this run!

Rick
October 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
busy Nov.3rd but the 10th looks good for me as of now, but do as you will for my schedule can change with holidays around the corner Nov 10th is opening weekend for Pheasant. Will be gone that weekend.

Jim
October 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM
This week is flowing quickly. Nov 3 is fair game - though I wonder if there'll be snow. Push it back a week and see if things cool down or set it for Nov 3? (my schedule might be different for Nov 16/17/18)

Rob
October 31st, 2012, 06:49 PM
My vote's for this Saturday, the 3rd. I'll be out of town the following weekend.

Jim
November 1st, 2012, 12:36 AM
It's on the calendar for Nov 3 in Lyons (new meeting spot):

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2012-11-3&e=527&c=1

Tom
November 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM
It's on the calendar for Nov 3 in Lyons (new meeting spot):

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2012-11-3&e=527&c=1
There is also an RTD park and ride in Lyons and it's really empty on weekends.
http://www.rtd-denver.com/parknride/pnR_Vicinity_Maps/Lyons.pdf

Jim
November 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hmmm - hadn't thought of that. I know exactly where it's at as Chris & his wife towed my jeep to the street by that lot.