PDA

View Full Version : Chinaman gulch nov 3rd

Backcountryislife
October 30th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Planning on hitting Chinaman this weekend, up for sat or sun.

Thinking meeting at 10ish would work. (at the gas station on the S side of the road)

Anybody up for it?

scout man
October 30th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I am up for it the next weekend! Unfortunately I am out of town for work this weekend, but if you cant get anyone to join and are free the 10th or 11th I will run it with you.

Serious Offroad
October 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hmmmmmmm........

I'm a definite maybe.

xaza
October 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I might be up for this. Still getting things figured out around here. Pretty long drive, might try and stay closer to home.

- - - Updated - - -

I might be up for this. Still getting things figured out around here. Pretty long drive, might try and stay closer to home.

Backcountryislife
October 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
you updated with the same post as before the update??? You messin with me man??? :D

I'd rather stay closer to home too... got any ideas of what might be dry that's closer? Just ran spring creek again today with a buddy who had never been, and ran red elephant a few ago... I'm wanting to hit something different, but running low on ideas!

xaza
October 31st, 2012, 05:35 AM
Although not likely dry, I was thinking maybe Wheeler Lake. Never been there before, it's off hwy 9 between 70 and 285. Still trying to figure out my brothers plans this weekend. Have you been to wheeler lake before?

Backcountryislife
October 31st, 2012, 07:20 AM
This was wheeler a couple days ago...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/416804_3944654896875_1299129918_n.jpg

There's definitely still plenty of snow.

Been 30's, with today being 46, and tomorrow being almost 50... so some will have melted, but not all.

Not sure I'm a fan of running that V notch when wet. Even that 2nd obstacle could be pretty nasty in the snow I'd think.

I've been wanting to get up there, but also want to keep my sheet metal straight on the new toy as well!

Serious Offroad
October 31st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Better check with the Forrest Dept. or BLM and find out if the gate has been closed for the season.

Backcountryislife
October 31st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Good point!

I've got a buddy right down the street, my office is just a few minutes from there, I just shot him a message to see how it looks & if it's open.

Rick
October 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
I was thinking maybe Wheeler Lake I may be up for Wheeler.thats a fun trail. Plans are changing for this weekend so may be able to go.

Backcountryislife
October 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
OK, set it on calendar for sat in BV.

I've got one other guy who's game, so gonna plan on that.

Talked to my buddy up there & he's thinking it'll be holding snow yet... I don't really want to do wheeler in the snow.

Anybody looking to join in late notice, shoot me a PM or call 970.366 eight five one eight.

xaza
November 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Still a maybe about making it. Where are you meeting? I would be coming up 285 to get there.

Backcountryislife
November 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Meeting at the gas station on the S side of the road in Johnson village, gunsmoke I think it's called, at 10.

Got 3 vehicles, you'd make 4... good crew!

Serious Offroad
November 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Decided to hit Liberty (Penrose) instead.

Errinjan
November 2nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Have fun, wish I was going with you all.

xaza
November 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM
Too far for me. Not going to be ready for that early start this time around, want to tinker with my truck a bit this morning. Have a good time and get lots of pics for me. Hope to get out with you again this year before the snowmobiles get pulled out :D

Backcountryislife
November 7th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Man... I'm 0 for 2 lately, everybody put their toys away for the year or what?

Ran chinaman on sat, and did some tweaking on the JK sunday morning so I went up to 1st on spring creek & ran across the guys we passed on Jenny creek a few weeks back.

these guys:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/387402_3811776054987_476337099_n.jpg

Tom, the guy in the pic has a sweet XJ on coilovers, and is a GREAT dude to wheel with. We yanked this same yota he's working on here up SC... got plenty of use out of our winches!
The guy who had the 4runner without 4wd at Jenny snapped a CV right at the beginning of 1st, so it was just 4 of us.

Fun day.

Running something again this week, don't know what, don't care what. Not posting any more runs up... if someone wants to go hit something, shoot me a PM.

Ps, trying to attach more images, but keep getting a message that says "javascript void"... never seen it before, and it won't accept me pressing OK in the image dialogue box.

scout man
November 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
hey, I am just pulling my toys out for the year as work is finally slowing down. Keep posting stuff up and I might be able to join you! Running Chinamans saturday if your interested in hitting it again

Backcountryislife
November 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM
yeah... that trail was friggin bone jarring. I said it would be a long time before I went down there again. By the time we were done with the trail, we were so ready to be home. Now I see why it was tough to get folks to come along!!!

The amount of "features" for the amount of just rough road was pretty tough. My buddy & his wife stopped me about a mile from being done & just needed to get out for a while!

Once I'm ready to go run Carnage... then I'll head back down there! :D

scout man
November 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
i dont remember that trail being that ruff. I know there arent really any views or anything to speak of. Then again its been a couple years since i have been there.

Jim
November 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Keep mulling stuff over in the planning forums - I'm still going but am tending for stuff closer to home.

Backcountryislife
November 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Maybe the increase in buggies running the trail from Carnage has made it worse? It just seemed like a trail that had rocks kicked all over it.

can't post pics for some reason, but here's a few from our day down there.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3980247946679.2142626.1295088056&type=3

Rick
November 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Not posting any more runs up.Cmon now!!!! to far for most and for what it is not really worth the gas to get there(JMO) Dont quit postin,not everyone is gonna make every run you post but if you quit posting no one knows your goin..

Jim
November 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
can't post pics for some reason

When I hit the link, not signed in to FB, I get this message:

This content is currently unavailable. The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Perhaps it's not listed as "public" such that you'd not see it on FR if you linked it here.

Backcountryislife
November 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Cmon now!!!! to far for most and for what it is not really worth the gas to get there(JMO) Dont quit postin,not everyone is gonna make every run you post but if you quit posting no one knows your goin..

Well, I don't really care where I go, so I'm not going to post up a run & get locked into that. I just want to run something that's interesting.

I didn't mean I was going to quit posting, just that I don't want to lock in to a run & get "stuck" doing something nobody wants to, that's all! I ain't gonna leave you or nuthin!! :D

Far as the pics, It must be a java thing, I just switched from Chrome to Firefox, because chrome was using WAAAAAAAY too much memory and I couldn't get it to stop, so I bet I don't have something properly installed or something like that.

maybe try this link... this should work for non FB users
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3980247946679.2142626.1295088056&type=1&l=5f874a8699

(https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3980247946679.2142626.1295088056&type=1&l=5f874a8699)
Just updated java & restarted... still can't post pics...wtf. So odd, it let me post that one up above... then just stopped.

Rick
November 8th, 2012, 07:17 AM
"stuck" doing something nobody wants to, that's all! I ain't gonna leave you or nuthin!!I get it.:thumb:

Backcountryislife
November 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM
You're so cute Rick, I couldn't leave you :p

Rick
November 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::jiggy:

xaza
November 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I have been having that issue with posting pics and video for a while now. I just keep adding a couple spaces and trying again and again and again until it takes. eventually will work. FWIW I also use firefox...I have IE, maybe I should try that one.
Also I really want to run Chinaman (never been), but it is a long drive. Gonna make it anyway, one o these days.

Jim
November 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM
maybe try this link... this should work for non FB users
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3980247946679.2142626.1295088056&type=1&l=5 f874a8699

That worked! Thanks for the link.

I had a double-take on the winch line to the RF of the vehicle. I couldn't figure out what it was as it didn't "look right" to me until I realized it was a synthetic line.