PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Emergency Generator

Java
November 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM
After watching the news and remembering sitting in the cold a couple of years ago I just ordered one of these, just incase we get hit this winter. It's a little guy from HF, and if you enter code 91106316 at checkout it's only $89.00, shipping is flat $6.99, so for about $100.00 it comes to you. It's not huge, but it can run a few lights and a space heater all day. It has good reviews, they suggest checking it over before running it for tight nuts / screws etc..., pre-lube the cylinder and change the spark plug to an Autolite 64.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/800-rated-watts-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html

xaza
November 1st, 2012, 07:09 AM
Actually Paul, you might have trouble running a heater on it. On low, most electric heaters draw 750 watts. On high it is 1500 watts.

Java
November 1st, 2012, 07:17 AM
I have a little ceramic one that runs on 400 watts, so that plus a few lights. It's just for emergencies, I have friends from NY that have been posting stuff like "sitting in my car running the heat" for the last few days...

CS79bronco
November 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I bought one of those at HF on sale for $89 in store. Used it one weekend camping with my old RV & worked great. We ran it for the 25 hour break-in first, which is kind of a nuisance but seems worth it. Starts right off & runs good after. I think I could plug my central heater into it and run the heater that way. It would only have to power the combustion fan & blower since we have gas heat.

Patrolman
November 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM
I had one a few years ago. Simply little jobbers. If I remember right they are 2-stroke?

Jim
November 1st, 2012, 06:15 PM
Zooming on the label - 3600RPM, 2HP, 2-stroke.

Rick
November 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
2-stroke?:erm::mad:

Patrolman
November 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
That is what I thought. Only downfall is you have to keep gas/oil mix around and it will smoke a bit more.

Chris
November 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
As an alternative source of heat when none exists I think it's a great idea. :thumb:

Rick
November 1st, 2012, 07:57 PM
I agree, for the price,you cant beat it!

xaza
November 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM
:2thumbup:

Java
November 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
I bought one of those at HF on sale for $89 in store. Used it one weekend camping with my old RV & worked great. We ran it for the 25 hour break-in first, which is kind of a nuisance but seems worth it. Starts right off & runs good after. I think I could plug my central heater into it and run the heater that way. It would only have to power the combustion fan & blower since we have gas heat.

25 hour break in??? really??? it's duty cycle is only 5 hours, that does seem like a nuisance. guess I'll check the manual and do what it says...

ExplorerTom
November 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
seriously?!?!? 25 hours? that is a major pain- not only for you but your neighbors too. I guess winter is a better time to break it in though since everyone has their windows closed.

southpaws3
November 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
AWESOME !!! I bought the lil blue 800 watt one on the OPENED shelf for $75.00 works great w/ a ceramic heater

CS79bronco
November 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
25 hour break in??? really??? it's duty cycle is only 5 hours, that does seem like a nuisance. guess I'll check the manual and do what it says...

I put it out in the back yard, plugged a couple fans into it & let it run through a tank of fuel every day for 5 days. It's quiet enough we could barely, if at all, hear it running inside with the windows open. By the end of the 4th day it was running smoother & quieter & the output voltage was more stable. When we took it camping I used a mix for a chain saw that was 40:1 instead of the recommended 50:1. It did smoke & smell more than the break in with 50:1 but worked fine.

RockyMtnHigh
November 3rd, 2012, 01:05 AM
Just curious Paul, but why not buy a tent heater and a couple of LED lanterns?

Here's my thinking:

Some of the tent heaters advertise a 10 hour run time on a single canister or propane (reality is probably more like 6 hours). Buy an adapter for it, power goes out, go outside pull the tank off the grill and the damn thing will run for days. They put off between 3 to 4000 BTUs, a quick search and WalMart has one for $38 and as high as $68. The 1500W ceramic heaters put off between 3-5000 BTUs (you said yours is 400W so I am assuming it's considerably less BTUs).

3600RPM, 2-stroke, is going to be some annoying sh!t after a few hours, I don't care if it's out in the garage or in the backyard with an extension cord coming into the house. Aside from being cheaper, running a lot quieter, putting off more BTUs, you don't have to screw around with gas or the oil mixture every 5 hours, not to mention the smell.

LED lanterns, I have been running the same D batteries in mine for 2 years now and they are still going strong.

Other electronics I can see the need for the gen (and I do have one), but for heat and light there are other less painful alternatives in my opinion.:2c:

glacierpaul
November 3rd, 2012, 04:44 AM
Wood stove for heat and candles here, I do have 2 gens for my back up, both need a tune up. My philosophy is the more back up stuff you have ready, the better you are, as we also have many LED lights/lanterns and back up elec. heaters. Shoot, if things get to crazy we have our camping trailer!! Looking into the solar panels for the camper too!
Good on ya Paul for getting prepped, things are crazy back east!

Java
November 3rd, 2012, 07:11 AM
Just curious Paul, but why not buy a tent heater and a couple of LED lanterns?

Here's my thinking:

Some of the tent heaters advertise a 10 hour run time on a single canister or propane (reality is probably more like 6 hours). Buy an adapter for it, power goes out, go outside pull the tank off the grill and the damn thing will run for days. They put off between 3 to 4000 BTUs, a quick search and WalMart has one for $38 and as high as $68. The 1500W ceramic heaters put off between 3-5000 BTUs (you said yours is 400W so I am assuming it's considerably less BTUs).

3600RPM, 2-stroke, is going to be some annoying sh!t after a few hours, I don't care if it's out in the garage or in the backyard with an extension cord coming into the house. Aside from being cheaper, running a lot quieter, putting off more BTUs, you don't have to screw around with gas or the oil mixture every 5 hours, not to mention the smell.

LED lanterns, I have been running the same D batteries in mine for 2 years now and they are still going strong.

Other electronics I can see the need for the gen (and I do have one), but for heat and light there are other less painful alternatives in my opinion.:2c:

I hadn't thought about it, good ideas. I have a ton of LED lights but I don't have a tent heater, could probably use one anyway. I do have a special neighbor that I want to run a generator for though... :D

Paul- you're lucky to have room to park a camper, I have two cars in the garage, one on the street and I'm out of room. City living...

otisdog
November 3rd, 2012, 08:22 AM
New technology
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/4731679/Hamsters-in-jackets-harnessed-for-energy.html
Jim

Brad
November 3rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Wood stove for heat and candles here, I do have 2 gens for my back up, both need a tune up. My philosophy is the more back up stuff you have ready, the better you are, as we also have many LED lights/lanterns and back up elec. heaters. Shoot, if things get to crazy we have our camping trailer!! Looking into the solar panels for the camper too!
Good on ya Paul for getting prepped, things are crazy back east!

my popup is always ready for a emergency. Solar powered and a mr heater. :thumb: