PDA

View Full Version : Middle St Vrain 110312

Mr6dwg
November 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Good Morning All. I got a call from one of my friends, asking if I would like to join a group and go do Middle St Vrain. I was a little apprehensive, not wanting to do alot of snow stuff. But, I figured, Hey! I will go.I met the gang at the trailhead at 10:30. It was 4 FJ Cruisers and I, the thumb in the Jeep. We all got through the beginning without any problems. Almost immediately, as we drive farther back into the woods, the snow was getting more prominent and deeper. At times, the path was slick, but not so much that you couldn't get around. The water was frozen just enough, it was crunchy all the way through them. The one water crossing at the bottom, in the valley was slow, peaceful, and pretty. As we ventured on, the trail got a little slicker and the snow got a little deeper. I told myself, if the hill going up Coney Flats was slick, I was not doing it! As we neared the hill climb up Coney, I looked at the situation. It was too much for me. I have to hand it to the guys I was with. They, went right up the hill. It was no cake walk, by any means. they did alot of spinning and revving of the engines. I stayed at the bottom, watched them scale the icy hill. I laid an egg and drove off quietly and humbled. I took some pictures and will try to get them on here by the end of the day.

Mr6dwg
November 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM
The last picture is going up Coney Flats hill.

Rick
November 5th, 2012, 11:07 AM
drove off quietly and humbled.Nothing wrong with doing what your comfortable with.

Jim
November 5th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Photos generally don't show the incline - with that packed snow covering I could see that uphill to be a good amount of spinning. I'd do a double-look before considering it.

dr350jja
November 5th, 2012, 08:06 PM
The last picture is going up Coney Flats hill.

Did the rear lockers on the FJs help them much, getting up the hill?

Mr6dwg
November 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
They did surprisingly well, I must say. They had no issue on the rock obstacle going up the hill. It was after that and where it turns up the hill. The incline and the rocks made it difficult to complete the climb. The only report I got was that someobdy got axle damabe trying to bust the ice at Coney Reservoir. Here is a link to some videos and pictures if you want to see them: https://plus.google.com/photos/110392848360255327828/albums/5806776794114332721?banner=pwa&authkey=CJ6p19rPop_sVg

Rick
November 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
:eek: that ice looks thick!!!!

Jim
November 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Soon the ice'll be thick enough to drive on it

Mr6dwg
November 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I spoke to Greg Beery, an office holder of the Trailridge Runners 4WD club. He said that his group was planning on running it this weekend, and then they were going to close it for the season.

Mr6dwg
November 12th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Here are some pictures of the Trailridge Runners up on Coney Flats. No need to ask where the Gold Jeep is at.

Jim
November 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I think Rob in his `40 want's go give that a try ;)

it's so lite it could possibly stay atop the ice.

(is it closed yet?)

Jackie
November 12th, 2012, 09:16 PM
That looks so screaming cold!:eek:

No chance you'd catch me trying it. What if you had to get out? Just add some flavor and food coloring and WhaLa! Instant popsickle, or slushie. :lmao:

Jim
November 12th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Heater not work'n in yours? :lmao:

Last time I crossed it - on that foggy, misty, 32F day - I went in fast... and promptly stalled it. 10' of water behind me, 2+ feet deep all around me. The group high and dry on the other side. If it didn't start I figure I'd be climbing out and onto the hood while someone backed up with a tow strap already connected to theirs for me to grab and fish onto the front hook. I'm fairly confident that I'd stay dry.

Rick
November 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'd stay dry.we'd get cha out!!!

Jackie
November 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Heater not work'n in yours?

Heater works fine. I freeze just looking at the pictures!:D