PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Axle Questions

Java
November 11th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm looking at a trailer today with a 2000 lb idler axle on it. I'm building very light- just a flatbed frame- and expect it to be maybe 500lbs empty. I'm using 33x12.50s on Jeep rims, so I'd need to buy spacer / adapters to go from 4 lugs to 5. I don't expect my load to ever be more than 300 or 400 lbs, so I'm wondering if the 2000 lb axle would be sufficient. Most people use the 3500 lb axle, and I will too if I end up buying a new axle, but I'm wondering if I can use a 2000, it's still about double what I think I'll need. then the 33s add leverage... Anyone have any experience with this??

glacierpaul
November 11th, 2012, 08:24 AM
My experience is biggest is best, or, too much is better than not enough. The real question is, do you ever want problems? just my 2 cents....no experience building trailers at all, admire you for giving it a try Paul!

Popsgarage
November 11th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'd be wary of the adapters more than anything. Why don't you just re-drill the hubs to your pattern and press in some Jeep studs???????

Java
November 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Paul- I'm into overkill too, just came across it and seeing. I'm probably going to buy an axle from redneck trailers in Longmont, just looking around and trying to find a good deal since I'm not in any rush. A donor trailer would save me a lot of $$, and if it has a title it would save me some time as well. My deadline is Spring.

Jon- I'm not worried about adapters, I run 1.5" spacers on all 4 corners of my Jeep, and had them on the rear of my last Jeep too, never had any problems. they went on with locktite and a torque wrench, and I check them everytime I pull a tire. I personally couldn't drill the rotors precisely enough, I'd have to pull them and take them to a shop and pay for the labor. Adapters are about $70.00, it's sort of a wash. If I buy an axle from redneck I'll just get 5x4.5" hubs.

xaza
November 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
An added benefit of the heavier duty axle :thumb: Also once you have a trailer you never know what will come up that you want to use it for, might have heavier loads in your future and it's always good to be ready. :2c:

Brad
November 11th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I would go with the heavier load axle. If for no other reason than you might punish it going offroad. :thumb:

Cr33p3r
November 12th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Definitely do the heavier is better theory, its better to do it now than redo it later!

Java
November 12th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I'm passing on that one, it was a strange axle. I'm dealing with a lot of jerky people from CL, might stop bothering with it soon. I did find this trailer today that has nothing to do with what I'm doing, I'll never get it, but I WANT IT!!!

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/3356931409.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3G23Fe3N95N45T45Kfcama1055aa4bde613ef.jpg

scout man
November 12th, 2012, 08:34 PM
dang, that seems like a good deal too! And better stocked than my garage!

southpaws3
November 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM
When i built my 1st trailer i used a 14bolt, cut out the diff, sleeved it put it under the trailer (it went to canada and back to colorado off road no problems ). this new trailer i'm building same way but w/ a 2nd sleeved 14bolt (8lug) overkill .

Java
November 15th, 2012, 06:53 AM
14 bolt in a trailer??? that is crazy overkill, I'd love to see some pics! I had an idea of putting a Jeep 44 under mine so I'd have spare shafts, and then I could hook up an electric motor to the pinion to move it under it's own power short distances. I still like the idea but don't think I'm going to do it unless I run into a TJ 44 for a steal pretty shortly.

southpaws3
November 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
check out the photos on the divide trail run, you can also look on expedition portal---my expedition rig

AccordRanger
November 19th, 2012, 06:47 PM
14 bolt in a trailer??? that is crazy overkill, I'd love to see some pics! I had an idea of putting a Jeep 44 under mine so I'd have spare shafts, and then I could hook up an electric motor to the pinion to move it under it's own power short distances. I still like the idea but don't think I'm going to do it unless I run into a TJ 44 for a steal pretty shortly.

I like that idea, when I build my trailer I may have to find a 8.8 for the axle.

Java
November 20th, 2012, 06:55 AM
the only issue I've thought of (aside from the weight compared to a standard trailer axle) with it is how to put brakes on it. I don't know if electric trailer brakes will adapt easily or not, and I do want brakes.

Chris
November 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
You really don't need brakes on it when it's light. I look at that as just one more thing to give you trouble and have to carry spare parts for. I'm sure you have your reasons Paul but I'm like the KSS concept.

Java
November 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
You're right, and the law agrees with you, it doesn't require them below (I think) 2000lbs. I like "as simple as possible, as complex as necessary" for my junk. I've debated this in my mind over and over and for the little extra money I'm going to do it. it makes the hills on I-70 safer and from everything I've read they can be a real asset on trails, especially going downhill. You can dial the controller up or even make it a hand control. Also, parking brakes can be handy on a trailer, I know that first hand from the boat ramps in Fl. having said that many of the trailers I've looked at don't have them, if I run into a good deal on an axle without I may build without and add them later, IDK. it's a thinker.

Chris
November 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Good points Paul, I'm basing my opinion on my popup which I think weighs in at 12-1400lbs. I don't even notice it behind me when stopping but that's on roads vs trails. You've obviously given it a lot more thought than I ever will!

Funrover
November 24th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm passing on that one, it was a strange axle. I'm dealing with a lot of jerky people from CL, might stop bothering with it soon. I did find this trailer today that has nothing to do with what I'm doing, I'll never get it, but I WANT IT!!!

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/3356931409.html

WANT SO WANT!!

glacierpaul
November 25th, 2012, 06:06 AM
WANT SO WANT!!

X3! A tool trailer would be pretty sweet, especially for a big group run to say Moab.....:)

southpaws3
November 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM
X2 w/ what Chris said......when i built my trailer i just wanted an over kill axle so if i had to drag it over anything i could , it was light( 650pds) but could carry alot(about a ton ) ,wanted to see how much it could hold.. will have the axle for sale soon comes w/3rims/3tires 35x12.50x16 chevy 8lug 6x5.5....
trailer is getting longer and bigger going to get duel axles.will post photos when done

Java
November 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
check out the photos on the divide trail run, you can also look on expedition portal---my expedition rig

couldn't find it, got a link?