PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Cherokee Sport

Cr33p3r
November 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I am onto my next build project and it is for a friend of mine, she picked it up totally stock and not ready for the trails yet. Looking for any protection parts like skid plates and the sort also some 31s and possibly minor lift pieces. If anyone has anything for the XJ and is willing to part with them cheap let me know please. I am new to the Cherokees so any info to is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sean

Java
November 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I have a 31 for you, it's a procomp xtreme all terrain that I got for the rim it was on, it's in great shape, barely used. It would be a great spare. I have it posted in the classifieds from a while back (there is a pic). I don't need it and don't want to deal with CL... PM me if you want it, I can leave it on my front porch and you can get it at your convenience.

Java
November 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
FWIW, the only unique thing I know about the 2001 is that some of them have the TJ low pinion Dana 30 front and some have the XJ high pinion. It was the last year and they didn't buy any new XJ specific axles for it, just made due with what they had in stock.

xaza
November 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM
If the tires can wait until after the holidays I will be looking to upgrade to 33's. Drive truck pretty much for trails only, got less than 5k on them (tattoo artist/friend borrowed truck while in town and put 2k highway) 31" BFG KM2, lots of tread left, typical minor scratches and such. Also have spare, little tread left and don't remember brand. I also have road hazard warranty from discount for BFG's that if needed would help use.

Cr33p3r
November 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I know she will appreciate the help guys, thank you. I am finding it will be cheaper to just buy the skids compared to me building them for her so I am steering her in that direction. One thing I am noticing is a lot of folks are using a steering gear box brace on the XJs, wondering that is a critical problem as I have not read where it is just a lot of people using them.

Serious Offroad
November 14th, 2012, 05:17 AM
XJ's are notorious for cracking at the box mounting area. A brace helps distribute the load placed on the unibody at the box location.

xaza
November 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I ran my truck for years on 31's without the steering box brace with no issues. It is a common problem but not typically until you get to larger tires. The damage it does is pretty devastating so it is better safe than sorry. Well worth the investment and installs in minutes. :2c:

xaza
November 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Also on the tires, there is the Treadwright option. 31 1050 15 Warden (BFG A/T) $108. Guard Dog M/T $125.

Cr33p3r
February 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Today we are going to get the measurements to get her skid plates started.

Fordguy77
February 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Today we are going to get the measurements to get her skid plates started.
Back to custom fabbing them?

Cr33p3r
February 4th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Yeah Chris I will be doing this one for her gas tank but Mike gave her one for the transfer case so that will save some time. Found out she needs to replace the front ball joints and tie rod ends.

MelloYello
February 6th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Nice Sean!
I hope pictures are coming. : )

Funrover
February 6th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I am sure you have been there, but have you posted or searched on http://www.naxja.org/ ?

Cr33p3r
February 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Will do Keith as it comes along, And yep Aaron I am on there too, been trying to get her to join up since its her Cherokee.

Hypoid
February 9th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Found out she needs to replace the front ball joints and tie rod ends.I don't know what it is about my driveway, it just seems to suck the life out of wear parts! I can't count the people who didn't have a problem before they parked here. ;)

The StRanger
February 9th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Phuunie !!