PDA

View Full Version : The 10th Annual Christmas Caravan for Kids

Jackie
November 12th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I found the following info for the Christmas Caravan for Kids on colorado4x4.org. I was not able to find a link for a flyer yet. This is a really fun event if you've never done it before. I'll plan to join the crowd at the Westminster location.

The 10th Annual Christmas Caravan for Kids
This year’s event will be held on Saturday, December 1st, at the Jefferson County Event Center from 10 am – 2 pm. Please save the date and plan to join us.

A little background info—
In 2003, an ongoing community service project entitled “Christmas Caravan for Kids” was begun. Each year, in conjunction with area vendors and 4-Wheelers throughout Colorado’s Front Range, we sponsor a toy drive and “meet and greet” to benefit the Marine’s Toys for Tots Campaign. 4-Wheelers from around the Front Range meet in pre-determined locations and “caravan” to the event site where the USMC’s MACS 23rd Air Unit from Buckley Air Force Base is waiting to receive the toys donated by participants. For each of our first two events, we were the second largest single day toy donation the Marines received (second only to the Denver Bronco Toy Drive). In 2005, we became the largest single day donation ever received by Denver’s Toys for Tots campaign. Following the toy drive, participants are treated to a “meet and greet” with area vendors which includes a FREE lunch and FREE raffle drawing.

All vehicles are welcome—daily drivers, trail rigs, tow rigs, buggies, trailer queens, trucks, hot rods, muscle cars, bikes, family sedans, and…… bring your ride along with new unwrapped toys to donate to help assure no child goes without a Christmas.

NEW THIS YEAR, the USMC’s CLB-453 unit is host to the Toys for Tots campaign. It’s a brand new unit and we’ll get more information about them posted as we’re able. We also have 2 new caravan locations, one in Castle Rock and one in Brighton. Also, the northern location is now official!!! Finally, we’ve moved the East Metro and Southwest Metro Location to welcome Les Schwab Tires as a new sponsor with CCFK this year. The Southeast Metro Location moves slightly to Fay Myers Motorcycle World.

Locations: All Metro Caravans leave their meeting site at 10:00 am, Longmont leaves at 9:00 am

North Metro:
Quaker Stake & Lube
Just West of US-36 on 104th
10392 Read Street
Westminster, CO 80021

East Metro:
Les Schwab Tire
Just North of I-70 on Tower Road
3430 N. Tower Road
Aurora, CO 80011

South Metro:
Fay Myers Motorcycle World
3 lights east of I-25 on Arapahoe Road
9700 E. Arapahoe Road
Greenwood Village, CO 80112

Southwest Metro:
Les Schwab Tire
Just East of C-470 on Bowles Ave.
13331 W. Bowles Ave.
Littleton, CO 80021

Brighton –New this year!!
Buffalo WIld Wings
Just West of I-76 on 144th
2025 Prairie Center Parkway
Brighton, CO 80601

Castle Rock—New this year!!
Home Depot
Just East of I-25 on Meadows Parkway
333 W. Allen St.
Castle Rock, CO 80108

Longmont –
Park and Ride
Just Southwest of I-25 & CO-66
Take CO-66 West to Foster Drive, Take
Foster Drive South to Highland Drive, Take
Highland Drive East to Park and Ride

Patrolman
November 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for posting this info Jackie! A great cause and a great event!

Bunyon & Babe
November 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks X 2 !!

Jackie
November 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Don't thank me, guys - It wasn't my initiative... it's just an event that I've participated in for the past few years (and so have many others here) and I found the post quoted above for the 2012 event. I'll put it on the calendar so we might get some members from our group to commit. It really is a fun event (even though there is no off-roading involved). In past years they have had events at the fairgrounds that allowed participants to compete in various types of contests involving your rig. Great prizes too! I don't know what they have planned for this year - but we're sure to find out.

tonkatoy
November 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I will be set up as a vender at the event :2thumbup:

Chris
November 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Great prizes too!

I won a set of wheel spacers last year!

Jackie
November 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I posted the run. Feel free to edit it if you need to, Chris!

Jackie
November 17th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I found the flyer for this year's event: http://www.christmascaravanforkids.org/images/stories/2012_flyer.pdf

Coonburger
November 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
figured this deserved a bump :). Gonna try and put lipstick on a pig and make the dodge look perty hahahaha.

Jackie
November 30th, 2012, 09:06 PM
It's not too late to join in guys -n-gals. Just stop by Target and buy a toy. Then meet at the location nearest you... http://www.christmascaravanforkids.org/images/stories/2012_flyer.pdf

I had a rather interesting shopping experience tonight roaming through the toy department. Since I was buying toys for kids I have never met and probably never will meet, I was a bit picky. Who will like this doll? Who will like this football, who will like....................... It's kind of fun to picture the recipient receiving your gift. Will they think it's from Santa Claus? Will they know it was from a stranger? Or will they think a family member bought it?

Who cares! Let's see the smiles!

Now, if I could only figure out something to get my own kid....:confused:

Hypoid
November 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I had a rather interesting shopping experience tonight roaming through the toy department. Since I was buying toys for kids I have never met and probably never will meet, I was a bit picky. Who will like this doll? Who will like this football, who will like....................... It's kind of fun to picture the recipient receiving your gift. Will they think it's from Santa Claus? Will they know it was from a stranger? Or will they think a family member bought it?

Who cares! Let's see the smiles!I hear you there Jackie! Jeremy and I went shopping tonight. I told him our budget, told him it didn't matter if the toy was for a boy or girl, or for any age group, because there were enough kids out there to fit the toy. Mr. Constant Consumer (me, me, me) still had to get the perfect toy for someone he'd likely never meet. Some days, I really like that kid! ;)

I won't meet up at any of the caravan locations. I'll drive 5 minutes and see you guys there.

KnuckleHead
December 1st, 2012, 12:47 AM
We got our bags of toys ready, hope wevrun into each other out there.

Jackie
December 1st, 2012, 07:57 AM
I woke up to a sick little girl this morning :frown:

I think I'll just drive up to the Steak and Lube and give my bag of toys to someone to deliver for me. I won't make it to the fairgrounds, but I'm sure the toys will.

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Today was such a great 'spring-like' day, for the toy drive. Seemed really odd, being that it was so warm out (too bad it didn't SNOW)!

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
pics from the 'Christmas Caravan for Kids' toy drive:

Met up at the new Les Schwab tire store in Aurora (near I-70 & Tower)

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:47 PM
pics 2

- - - Updated - - -

pics 3

Rick
December 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
right on!! Thanks for the pics. Would of loved to make it but it was our day to cut a Christmas Tree.

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM
pics 4

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:50 PM
pics 5

Rick
December 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29954&stc=1&d=1354416543Pig looks great w/lipstick!Nice ride.

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM
pic 6

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
pics 7

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM
pics 8

- - - Updated - - -

pics 9

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
pics 10

Rick
December 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29952&stc=1&d=1354416456Jackie? did you get to go?

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM
I've made it to the last 4 Toys-for-tots drives and today was by far the warmest of them all!! Not even a trace of snow at the fairgrounds. :frown:

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
right on!! Thanks for the pics. Would of loved to make it but it was our day to cut a Christmas Tree.

Hope you weren't sweating too much cutting down the tree! :D

Rick
December 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hope you weren't sweating too much cutting down the tree!Its SCARY DRY up there

Heather
December 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM
I woke up to a sick little girl this morning

I think I'll just drive up to the Steak and Lube and give my bag of toys to someone to deliver for me. I won't make it to the fairgrounds, but I'm sure the toys will.

Delivered, Jackie! It was nice seeing you guys this morning, and I hope that Annika is feeling much better, and that you're able to stave off whatever's trying to get you!

Coonburger
December 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
The rti ramp won this round with that sweet fabtech lift of mine :*(.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/31563_516129135078257_1295773158_n.jpghttp://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/401247_516128611744976_958969185_n.jpg

Rick
December 1st, 2012, 09:47 PM
The rti ramp won this round with that sweet fabtech lift of mine :*Nice!!!!! We gotta go wheel sometime. Im always with the smaller rigs and I would like to see what its like with something comparable.

Jackie
December 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Delivered, Jackie! It was nice seeing you guys this morning, and I hope that Annika is feeling much better, and that you're able to stave off whatever's trying to get you!

Thanks, Heather. We are going to be OK, but I think the weekend is toast. Thanks so much for delivering the toys for me. I hope you guys had a great time on such a beautiful day.

Annika spent most of last night coughing her brains out. Today she was still hacking, but we tried to keep her quietly entertained...played Monopoly tonight and Britton kicked our asses with Boardwalk & Park Place.

Thanks also to everyone who attended the event. This make 2 years in a row that I have only been able to deliver toys to the meeting spot...:confused:

dr350jja
December 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks also to everyone who attended the event. This make 2 years in a row that I have only been able to deliver toys to the meeting spot...:confused:

We'll have to see what we can do about working on that next time!?! :rolleyes:

xaza
December 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
I say lets move the event to Jackies house next year, she won't be able to get out of it then :lmao:

Jackie
December 2nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hey - I tried. Sh!t happens...

Hypoid
December 2nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hey - I tried. Life happens... I was talking about this, just yesterday. :)

Cr33p3r
December 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I was surprised how people was there this year, we hung around til about 1 or 2 then headed to Mikes to pickup some parts for my friends Cherokee. I thought a lil about doing the ramp but seen how long the line was and decided NOT!

Chris
December 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
I was surprised how people was there this year

Missing a word here, I didn't make it so how was the turnout?

dr350jja
December 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
It was a great turn out and a warm day, for a change. To me it seems like there are hundreds of rigs at this event.

KnuckleHead
December 2nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
It was a great turn out, saw a few from here out there. If I recall right, they said we set a record high turn out with almost 800 rigs this year. Our camera was dead so the only few shots I have are from my phone and GoPro......

KnuckleHead
December 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
a few more

glacierpaul
December 3rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
A hearty thanks to all who gave and attended!! Merry Christmas!