PDA

View Full Version : Gearing

SouthParkTJ
November 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys or gals in the Colorado Springs area have had any of the shops re gear your rigs. I talked to $wheel drive on Academy and they quoted me around 1500 to do it. 730 something was just for labor, now i maybe new but to me that seems to be on the rather high side so i was wondering who all you guys have used in the area and roughly how much it ran if you can remember.

thanks for all the help

Robert B
November 20th, 2012, 03:12 PM
hey what info can you give me ..... axle...year of axle....what you want to put in it (locker open LSD etc) what you are suppling ...every bit of info you can ....i have a guy my family has used for years but he neds info to give a good price

Patrolman
November 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Personally, I have done gearing myself, but I also went through ASE training for it. The gearing is actually a fair amount of labor, particularly for the front axle. When you consider $100 an hour or so for labor, that is probably about right.

The parts probably can be found for under the $770 or so you were quoted, but I am sure they are putting markup into that. Don't forget in addition to the gears themselves, there are other parts including gaskets and fluids.

Rick
November 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
labor is the killer! I agree with everything Jeff(Patrolman) said.

SouthParkTJ
November 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have an 03 TJ the axles are all stock so that should make them d35 front and rear as for now I'm not going to put lockers in i was going to wait till i upgrade the axles for that as for what I'm supplying lol right now the jeep and money if i need to i can supply parts but i was going to start off looking at somebody to do it all and go from there

Robert B
November 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
okay Dana35 front and rear what ratio you going to ??

SouthParkTJ
November 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I was wanting to go 456

Robert B
November 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
okie i got him looking for parts to get a price for you and will let you know what he says :) he wondered does the truck have a billion miles or is it still pretty new?? and from what i get all you want to do

is regear to 4.56 in ur dana 35s correct ??

SouthParkTJ
November 20th, 2012, 03:37 PM
yes just regear and ya its still rather new less than 60k on it

Robert B
November 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
okie dokie :) waiting for a reply now .....it might be tomorrow as it is 3.45 pm lol

SouthParkTJ
November 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM
thats fine I'm not in a super huge rush just want to get it done before i drive back to KS this winter thanks for your help

xaza
November 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
The front on that will be a Dana 30, low pinion I believe. The stock gearing is going to be very important. Gears 3.55 and up have a larger carrier that can handle the lower gears otherwise you will need a new carrier for rear. That is a pretty huge chunk of change to put into axles you are not keeping IMO. 4wheel parts has a sale going on right now on G2 axles, buy the front kit and get the rear kit for free. Still need assembled I think but if they come assembled it is a task the do it yourself person can handle. It costs half as much to re-gear an axle as to replace in most instances. The labor is the killer which means if you can get the buddy break it helps a lot.

Edit:
Tried finding link to sale but am not finding that anywhere on they're website...might be remembering wrong place...will follow up

Rick
November 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM
buddy break it helps a lot.:thumb:

SouthParkTJ
November 20th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ah ok thanks Xaza on correcting me about the axle and as of right now regearing it is going to be one of the cheapest things I've done to it. The only reason I'm not going new axles yet is cause i plan on some d44 in it but those and the lockers are a pretty penny so they will be like 4 or 5 years down the road so for now just re gearing it is all i need done and i believe there is 3.73 in there now

xaza
November 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Nice, so it is a manual tranny, I figured but thought should point out in case. I did find the axle add in the newer 2012 Four Wheel Parts Holiday catalog that just came out...wasn't imagining things. I am not too familiar with TJ's but I believe a high pinion dana 30 out of an XJ is an upgrade. Some XJ's do also come with 4:10 gears, not quite as low as you were wanting. Junkyards can be great for budgets. I am sure you will be able to find someone to give you a deal on gearing. Having gears has been a new thing to me this year and I am loving it!

Serious Offroad
November 21st, 2012, 07:13 AM
I regear axles.
You'll have bring just the axles, not the entire rig.

If you purchase the parts from me the Labor is $100 per axle and an additional $50 to install a locker.

Tom
November 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
I regear axles.

If you purchase the parts from me the Labor is $100 per axle and an additional $50 to install a locker.
Nice!

otisdog
November 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Unless changed your front axle is a d30 as said. Are you sure your rear axle is a d35? It probably is but on the Sport and Sahara models the d44 was an option.
If a d35 rear you don't want to put much money into it. Your front d30 is actually pretty good and with alloy axleshafts can handle 35" tires and a locker.
I have an 03 TJ with a d44 rear and d30 front. I've got alloy shafts in the front. The stock shafts ride along as spares and I also have a set of spares for my d44.
There is a tag on your diffs that is in between the cover bolts at the 9 oclock position. If the tags are there they will tell you your gear ratio. It will say 3 07 or 3 73 etc.
Jim

Here's a d35 and d44 for id. See the tag between the two bolts at the 9 oclock posiiton?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/dana4435.jpg

xaza
November 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM
I regear axles.

That is a great price. Think we just found our guy for my brothers XJ!

Java
November 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM
That is a great deal. How much for 4:56 gears for my 2006 LJ, stock dana 30 / 44? The only caveat is that I have Detroit Truetracs f/r that I want to keep, and I'm running the stock 3:73 gears... pretty sure that means fat gears for the 44. I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger until after the new year, just FYI.

Hypoid
November 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM
That is a great price. Think we just found our guy for my brothers XJ!And a guy who stands behind his work!
:thumb:

otisdog
November 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
That is a great deal. How much for 4:56 gears for my 2006 LJ, stock dana 30 / 44? The only caveat is that I have Detroit Truetracs f/r that I want to keep, and I'm running the stock 3:73 gears... pretty sure that means fat gears for the 44. I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger until after the new year, just FYI.

Yea the thick cut gears should work for your 44.
jim

ExplorerTom
November 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I had my Explorer regeared by Josh Jones at SFF Customes for $875 (included the new gears). He's in Parker. He deals with Jeeps all the time- mostly puts Explorer rear axles under them. He has tons of experience with regearing.

yeah, some people don't like him for whatever reason, but I had a great experience with him.

Serious Offroad
November 25th, 2012, 08:18 AM
That is a great deal. How much for 4:56 gears for my 2006 LJ, stock dana 30 / 44? The only caveat is that I have Detroit Truetracs f/r that I want to keep, and I'm running the stock 3:73 gears... pretty sure that means fat gears for the 44. I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger until after the new year, just FYI.Is it a standard D44 or a Rubicon 44?

Java
November 25th, 2012, 01:28 PM
standard. the LJs only come 2 ways- with the Rubicon 44s with 4:10s and lockers or the Dana 30 / 44 combo with 3:73s and a rear tracloc. Mine is the 30 / 44 combo and I've replaced the diffs with truetracs and kept the 3:73s.

Serious Offroad
November 25th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I ask because ya just never know what folks have put under their rig.
Dana 44
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Axle-Drivetrain/Ring-Pinion/PRECISION-GEAR/Precision-Gear/Precision-Gear-Dana-44-4.56-Ring-Pinion-Extra-Thick-R-G-3-8-RGB

Dana 30
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Axle-Drivetrain/Ring-Pinion/PRECISION-GEAR/Precision-Gear/Precision-Gear-Dana-30-4.56-Ring-Pinion-Thick-TJ-96-1-2-ZJ

Install Kits:
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Axle-Drivetrain/Installation-Kits/AlloyUSA/AlloyUSA-Master-Install-Kit-For-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-97-06-Cherokee-XJ-92-01-Dana-30-Front

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Axle-Drivetrain/Installation-Kits/AlloyUSA/AlloyUSA-Master-Install-Kit-Dana-44-Rear-For-Jeep-CJ-72-75-Wrangler-TJ-97-06-87-89-XJ

Java
November 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I bet you've seen some craziness. thanks for the links!

Serious Offroad
November 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Oh you have no idea!

I might be getting a front Ford HP D60 with a little carnage for a rebuild....
Apparently the owner snapped a pinion in half.

cfr
November 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I regear axles.

Now that's starting to sound interesting. What do you charge for a JK regear (D30/D44)?

Serious Offroad
November 27th, 2012, 07:17 PM
You quoted the price......

If you're asking about the cost of gears and such, they are close to what I posted above.

FWIW,
All of the gear and install prices are on my site. No need to request a quote or wait for a reply here in this thread (or to a PM).
I've tried to make the site easy to use so no one has to wait on me to get the info they need.

Java
November 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM
sounds like it's a ballpark figure of $800.00 OTD, give or take depending... :thumb:

Serious Offroad
November 28th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Regearing is one of those things that a lot of new-ish wheelers seem to fear the most. I suppose the dollar amount scares them off. It really is one of the best upgrades for anyone running larger tires. Getting your rig back to the stock Torque and Horsepower curve makes driving a pleasure again and not a loathsome chore when trying to make it to the trailhead.

Hypoid
November 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
:woot:Axle party at Paul's house!

LMK if you need help with dropping the axles, Paul. You won't find a better business ethic at any price!

Java
November 28th, 2012, 09:57 PM
thanks, mike! I'm not expecting to have the time / money until next year, you can regret the offer then. :thumb: after seeing your trailer welding I may hit you up for help on that down the road, you do nice work.

Hypoid
November 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks Paul!

You won't find a better business ethic, at any price!Just to clarify, I was referring to Serious Offroad.

Serious Offroad
November 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks!!

Chris
November 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks!!

There's a button for that Frank ;)