PDA

View Full Version : JK E-Swaybar disco

glacierpaul
November 28th, 2012, 06:06 AM
The swaybar light came on, would not shut off, even did the battery cable disco to reset, no avail. The timing was perfect as the Jeep needed it's oil change and 30,000 mile servicing. Basically, the techs told my wife the module was shot, from water/dirt/mud. They have an upgraded unit now, that is $1700, thank goodness for the warranty!! Now I am looking into the after warranty fix for this, as my wheeling habits will not change. I think it is strange, but funny that Jeep techs would ask if we wheel the Jeep, when under the hood is dirt/dust, under the vehicle there is dented, scratched skids and rails, custom bumper on the front with custom scratches too :)...oh and that our address is Idaho Springs telling most folks that we live in the mountains.
It is like they were telling her that we should'nt wheel so much....with a Rubicon?!?!?!?!? weird to say the least. I suppose they really do see more city driven Jeeps though :).
Just a heads up for you JK owners, maybe say there is something wrong with your sway bar, have the new unit installed under warranty. I don't know how recalls would work in this situation, but if water/dirt/mud is a problem for the E- Swaybar disco, what the hell were they thinking.

Java
November 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
that's funny. it's a good thing for Jeep that you're the exception, if everyone used them as you do they'd be sold brand new "as is".

Aaron
November 28th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Mine went out. They took it off, opened it up and it was full of water. I had an extended warranty so after some argument, they paid for it but it was something like 1500 dollars if I had to pay. I was looking into getting the aftermarket always on type...

Tom
November 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I knew I bought a Wrangler Sport for a reason. I just didn't know it was that reason.

Jeremy
November 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

Perhaps I'll take a look at doing some form of dust/waterproofing to it.

Tom
November 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

Perhaps I'll take a look at doing some form of dust/waterproofing to it.A Big Condom should work. :D

Jeremy
November 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
A Big Condom should work. :D

I was thinking hot glue and duct-tape.

glacierpaul
November 29th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Every time we get the free oil changes at Jeep, the techs ask us if we wheel it much. :rolleyes:

I like the condom idea:lmao:

A guy has a DIY mechanical fix for this on JeepForum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/oem-e-disco-smartbar-study-1135688/

Backcountryislife
December 7th, 2012, 09:27 AM
FYI, this is the fix that I plan to do when the time comes.

http://www.evomfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_36_37&product_id=154

$89 fix, nice & simple.

Tom
December 7th, 2012, 12:10 PM
FYI, this is the fix that I plan to do when the time comes.

http://www.evomfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_36_37&product_id=154

$89 fix, nice & simple.Sweet.

glacierpaul
December 9th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the find Kaleb!!

Backcountryislife
December 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Looks like a buddy of mine I ran with yesterday is going to be taking advantage of this real soon...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522632_4125352614205_1740430874_n.jpg

This is a teraflex kit, after ripping my brake lines out (guess I needed longer lines for the amount of flex I was going for... who knew? :D) I rode with him & couldn't believe how rough his ride was, after looking at the pics, now I understand why!! The two other rubi jk's I was with yesterday BOTH had swaybars that didn't disconnect all day long. (light stayed flashing)

glacierpaul
June 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Mine is blinking again after the run last week, I didn't realize I had pushed it when I engaged the rear locker. Noticed the blinking :rolleyes: Thanks again Kaleb!

glacierpaul
June 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Jeep just put in unit #3 yesterday. There was water in the housing this time:rolleyes:. I got asked the million dollar question again...."Do you wheel this thing?" AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! What is funny, well maybe not, is the guy's have not said anything about my nearly destroyed factory skids! They need replaced or upgraded for sure. After web wheelin I have found Jeep has had this sway bar prob since 07 ?!?!?!?!? All I can say is Jeeze Louize!
I am getting the right fix, since OEM is crap!

Backcountryislife
June 27th, 2013, 10:09 AM
HAHA!!! I can't believe mine is still going with all the failures I see...

glacierpaul
June 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
HAHA!!! I can't believe mine is still going with all the failures I see... That is like the infamous Jeep topper leak, I don't have that :)

Max
June 27th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Paul, what Jeep dealership do you go to?

glacierpaul
June 27th, 2013, 09:04 PM
It is now Autonation Southwest I believe. They did not replace the entire unit just the motor. I must have damaged it snowbashing, the only thing that could get up in there, rocks certainly can't, maybe running over a branch in the snow? Going with the manual conversion for sure.