PDA

View Full Version : where to scrap a vehicle?

scout man
December 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Anyone know the best place around here to haul a truck in for scrap? I have mostly parted it out, so I dont think a junk yard would really be interested, more of a scrap yard/crusher place. Anyone done this before with a preference of place to take it?

Jim
December 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
One of the "we'll take any car" donation processes? National Public Radio is but one of them.

Edit: One of the - you sign the title / they pick it up plans.

xaza
December 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
We have used all recycling. They will take the vehicle off trailer for you with forklift. They will weigh your vehicle/trailer weight in and out and pay you the difference. Rates vary, best to call around and find who is close and who is paying most.

this is the one that is close to me
http://www.allrecyclinginc.com/

scout man
December 2nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Dont think the donation thing would work on this one, because it doesnt even have axles under it. Needs to be able to be lifted off the trailer. Plus I really need the cash from it since I wrecked it with liability only insurance on it.

Hypoid
December 2nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Call around, Steve! The u-pull places pay scrap prices no matter what you drag in. If everything that contains fluids is already gone, they save that process time and take it directly to the crusher.

Patrolman
December 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
I have taken similar vehicles to Western Metal Recycling:
http://www.wmrecycling.com/

They are just off Santa Fe, just south of Hampden. Not exactly close to you, but unsure anyone else is closer. Typically I chop my vehicles into 2 or 3 pieces and load the body into the truck, so unsure if they will lift a vehicle off your trailer. Best to call and ask, plus you can get prices.

Brad
December 4th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Colorado auto off Santa Fe can remove it from your trailer but I don't know what they pay for scrap.

Coonburger
December 13th, 2012, 08:33 AM
theres that one over by 70 and 25 tryign to think of the name of it, its where the tow truck company i worked for took all their vehicles i think generallly they pay more

gm4x4lover
December 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Jb auto crushers is where I usually go. I-70 and brighton blvd. I think they generally pay the most.

scout man
December 20th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hauled the old truck in and scrapped it today. Took it to J&B Auto Crushers. I have to say, they really pissed me off today. First when you get there, you get the runaround even trying to figure out what the procedure is, and the lady behind the cashier window is one of the rudest, nastiest old hags I have ever met. She was extremely rude from start to finish. The thing that pissed me off the most, is that they didnt weigh my truck with the scrap, then remove the scrap, then weigh my truck again. Instead, they removed the scrap truck and set it on the scale. Problem is 1. this makes it WAY too easy to cheat the scale, and 2. they didnt have a read out where I could see it either. End of the day they told me the scrap was 3880 pounds, which was way lower than I expected. Especially since I through some extra scrap in the bed too (like, 9 extra leaf spring packs). Oh well, I walked out with $465, which isnt horrible, just not what I expected. Next time, I will go somewhere else, or make them weigh my truck too! For all I know that scale is zeroed out at -1000 pounds or something. Rant over.

Patrolman
December 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I have always had a good experience at Western off Oxford and Santa Fe. I have a buddy who has worked there for years, but don't use that to pull any strings, and the experience is still all around good. Sorry today went so bad, but that is a pretty good haul for what you used to get!

scout man
December 20th, 2012, 07:07 PM
yea, its not that I am dissapointed about the money, more that it didnt meet my expectations, if that makes sense. All told I made about a grand off this truck, and still have some brand new tires to sell, so not bad for a truck that went 50 mph into a concrete block, and only had liability.

gm4x4lover
December 21st, 2012, 07:00 PM
That sucks, too bad about jb. I have scrapped a few cars there and once you figure out there circus act its easy to follow. I have never had a scrap yard empty the vehicle of scrap before, i once had a dodge caravan weigh in a 7k never batted an eye. Next time you are up this way i only work a block from jb stop by and say hi.

Patrolman
December 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM
I was just thinking, it might be best to drive across a truckers scale or something before you go? Just a thought.