PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run

Chris
December 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm getting this on the calendar early since some other runs are being planned far in advance.

This is the official posting of the 5th Annual Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run. We'll run the trail and have lunch with grills & good food, plenty of time to meet other folks. Family friendly, bring your kids, dogs & good attitude!

This is an easy trail so everyone can attend. Pure stock trucks are fine and there are enough optional obstacles for built trucks to have fun too.

Please RSVP so we know you'll be there!

Link to RSVP: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2013-3-9&e=534&c=1

Due to sparse interest in members soliciting donations I'm suggesting we drop it altogether.

Anyone interested in being the overall organizer post up. The same goes for food oranizer and maybe a run organizer if deemed one's needed. :thumb:

Southparkjk
February 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Sorry guys looks like I'll miss another one I dont get back from the Gulf till the 11th. I was looking forward to making one of theses and in joy some of the fine food and meet with all the good folks of FR and doing some 4x4. Guess I can hope to make it next year...I sure was looking forward to eating some of ColoDisco's food I seen on here that it's the best you will ever eat..:cheers:....I guess another day maybe.

Coonburger
February 6th, 2013, 11:09 AM
i got finals for one of my classes on that day iam going to see if the teacher will let me take it early , itll be a sweet time to take out the wifes' jeep and let her wheel it a bit.

Brad
February 6th, 2013, 05:57 PM
We will have another chance later Richard. I was not planning on smoking meat for this as we are entertaining camping there the night before. :thumb:

Southparkjk
February 7th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Sounds good to me. Camping sounds like lots of fun wish I was going to be there well I hope every one in joys and be safe and take lots of pic's

xaza
February 9th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Have any plans been made for the trail run itself. I have never been to an Anniversary run or China Wall altogether. Do we divide into groups and meet at the lunch spot?

Jackie
February 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Cliff, usually everyone meets at the lunch spot right away. It's a huge clearing with plenty of room to park and set up tables, grills etc. We have always broken up into small groups and allowed enough time for the groups to spread out. A few groups might go before lunch and then more groups might go after lunch. There have been trail organizers in the past, but I haven't seen anyone volunteer this year. I've also never seen any kind of "group assignment" going on, it's just kind of been small groups forming on their own through conversation. IMHO, it's best to just go in groups of about 6 rigs to help keep from bottle-necking.

Pathrat
February 12th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Something I would add....
before taking off, especially if you see that there are not that many people left at the lunch spot, ask if you can help clean up. Last year a few people were left with the responsibility of cleaning up and watching the leftovers so nothing flew away, etc, while everyone else was on the trails. Take turns, be considerate.
thanks.

The StRanger
February 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Something I would add....
before taking off, especially if you see that there are not that many people left at the lunch spot, ask if you can help clean up. Last year a few people were left with the responsibility of cleaning up and watching the leftovers so nothing flew away, etc, while everyone else was on the trails. Take turns, be considerate.
thanks.

yes, Agreed...

thebacardigod
February 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Edit

Java
February 18th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I thought I'd have to choose between this run and skiing, but check out the sliding... and is that Charles Wells from Fun Treks at 3:20 or so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLWxwgOSA5A

Java
February 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM
this one is cool too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgHkdMHA9g

Chris
February 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM
is that Charles Wells from Fun Treks

Yes that was Chuck.

Pathrat
February 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
ahhh, back when the Pig was stock and I wasn't a blonde.

ctracy5
February 20th, 2013, 02:14 PM
I will have to see if my mark is still on the wall from last year lol!. Can't wait to get out there hopefully I can get my lift on in time for the run!!

Clickpopboom
February 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
I've never been on this trail before, am I gonna have problems with my crappy Wrangler RT/S tires?
http://www.treadsource.com/images/M/GY_Wrangler_RTS.jpg

94ToyBear
February 22nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Unable to see the trail run date. What date is it on?

Robert B
February 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Kelly those tires will do fine.....might even do better on the wall than mine as it is a smooth rock

Chris
February 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Unable to see the trail run date. What date is it on?March 9th

Rick
February 22nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
Kelly those tires will do fine...X2,not that bad of a trail

trailfiend
March 6th, 2013, 11:15 PM
What's the latest word on the trail condition? I know it looks like more snow for that area on Friday and likely Saturday...

Rick
March 7th, 2013, 07:09 AM
What's the latest word on the trail condition?flat and bumpy with a chance of fun:D

trailfiend
March 7th, 2013, 07:56 AM
flat and bumpy with a chance of fun

:2thumbup::2thumbup::2thumbup:

A work project has come up that may end up preventing me from joining, but I'll do what I can! It would be great to see everyone.

ctracy5
March 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
flat and bumpy with a chance of fun:D

X2!!

tonkatoy
March 7th, 2013, 08:15 AM
my big block is ready for snow.:steer:

Rick
March 7th, 2013, 08:23 AM
my big block is ready for snow.me too! Snow will make china wall just that much funner

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I'm turning wimpy. Having driven in more snow than I care to, 27 inches from Cody to Denver, Blizzard from Denver to Chicago, lived in MN., and Gunnison, I'm likely going to back out unless the forecast changes.

If someone wants to bring my propane stove and chicken I'll be happy to provide them. Have to be local are Longmont/Boulder.

transplant87
March 8th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I was wondering if i could catch a ride with someone

ctracy5
March 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I am coming down from Fort Collins in the morning and should have some room. I was planning on camping with some buddies tonight and doing the trail in the morning but they all back out on me last min. so now I will just had down Saturday morning. Were you looking to meet somewhere or need to get picked up in Aurora.

Fordguy77
March 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I made it home, but can't talk Katey into letting me steal the dakota, so I'm out as always. There's always next years.

Chris
March 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm turning wimpy. Having driven in more snow than I care to, 27 inches from Cody to Denver, Blizzard from Denver to Chicago, lived in MN., and Gunnison, I'm likely going to back out unless the forecast changes.

I expect the forecast to be inaccurate as is common, if it's accurate and we have blizzard conditions I think staying off the roads is the smart thing to do. A few inches of snow, no big deal...

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Blizzard from Denver to Chicago, lived in MN.

If it's the same blizzard we drove through on our way from Denver to MN, it took us an entire day just to make it to the WY border. We tried 76 to Nebraska, but they shut down the hwy and we had to go back and try a different route. So many up-side-down cars and trucks... I'll never do it again.

Native ZJ
March 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
What Do Yo Think The Chances Of 285 Closing Are? Should Folks Plan A Second Route Back to Denver?

Chris
March 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Hey Tom, didn't know you're another former Minnesotan. A bunch of us here...

transplant87
March 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I am coming down from Fort Collins in the morning and should have some room. I was planning on camping with some buddies tonight and doing the trail in the morning but they all back out on me last min. so now I will just had down Saturday morning. Were you looking to meet somewhere or need to get picked up in Aurora. my blazer is down due to a blown radiator and bad plates so if you could pick me up i can try and get some gas money to toss your way

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Hey Tom, didn't know you're another former Minnesotan. A bunch of us here...I was there about 14 years. Worst 14 years weather wise of my life. Grew up in CO, move to WY where I met my wife, we then went to MT, from MT to MN where she was raised, then back here in 2000.

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
If it's the same blizzard we drove through on our way from Denver to MN, it took us an entire day just to make it to the WY border. We tried 76 to Nebraska, but they shut down the hwy and we had to go back and try a different route. So many up-side-down cars and trucks... I'll never do it again. Mine was in the 1970's at Christmas. Promised my girl friend I drive her.

Chris
March 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I hear you! We spent 25 years there and every winter Barb would say "This is the last winter I can handle" and finally we made it here.

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I left Mn when was I was 21 and never looked back. Still have to make the drive once in a while, but I'd never live there again. The blizzard I was talking about was the recent year that we had 2 storms back-to-back right before Christmas. The worst I've ever seen it here in CO. It was kind of fun though. :D We were driving our 2WD minivan! By the time we got to I-80, it was after dark and we were seeing black ice and hearing mixed reports on whether the hwy was open or not. We grabbed a hotel.

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I left Mn when was I was 21 and never looked back. Still have to make the drive once in a while, but I'd never live there again. The blizzard I was talking about was the recent year that we had 2 storms back-to-back right before Christmas. The worst I've ever seen it here in CO. It was kind of fun though. :D We were driving our 2WD minivan! By the time we got to I-80, it was after dark and we were seeing black ice and hearing mixed reports on whether the hwy was open or not. We grabbed a hotel.I've not been back. Told my wife the only way I'd go back is when someone in her family died.

ExplorerTom
March 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
This storm should make for some good pictures/stories.

I'll all for adventures, but I think you guys are nuts for intentionally heading out with a big storm hitting that day.

Rick
March 8th, 2013, 01:17 PM
What Do Yo Think The Chances Of 285 Closing Are?out through the springs if it does but it wont close.

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM
out through the springs if it does but it wont close.I've seen Kenosha closed before.

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I'll bet most everyone here doesn't know why birds fly upside down over MN.

Nothing worth poopin on in MN. And you know what the state bird is I hope...

Rick
March 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I've seen Kenosha closed before.tryin to be optomistic

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Rick - see PM coming in a minute or two...

pictaker
March 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Is there a plan B if it is this "blizzard" all the weather forecasters are freaking out about?

Rick
March 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Is there a plan Bplan B is China Wall :D

Brad
March 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Plan B is Jenn and I sleep in the RTT while waiting for the pass or I-25 to open! :D

Rick
March 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Plan B is Jenn and I sleep in the RTT while waiting for the pass or I-25 to open!Can we BBQ in it too!!!!

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
WeatherBug doppler on my tablet already showing heavy snow hitting Genesee, Evergreen, Kenosha Mountains

Rick
March 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM
hitting Genesee, Evergreennot true for these two, Im working up there

scout man
March 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hey Fordboy, if you can get yourself down to castle rock in the morning you can ride up with me! I intend to go through the springs though since its the same distance either way and there is less chance of snow that way.

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 04:07 PM
not true for these two, Im working up thereNot weather bug but here's the doppler
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/denver-co/weather-radar?play=1

ctracy5
March 8th, 2013, 04:13 PM
What a load :mad:, just got a ton of school work for this weekend. I can't afford to let my grades slip sorry guys count me out. :frown:

Rick
March 8th, 2013, 04:19 PM
just got a ton of school work for this weekend.:rolleyes:

Brad
March 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM
What a load :mad:, just got a ton of school work for this weekend. I can't afford to let my grades slip sorry guys count me out. :frown:

Thats what Sunday is for. :thumb:

Tom
March 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I just marked myself as a no. Gonna play it safe and wimpy. And shovel snow all day.

ctracy5
March 8th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I already had a project in my design class that is due that I was already planning on all nighters Saturday and Sunday and now I have Macro Econ, Spanish, and Irrigation work to do. I still have to do a full Google Sketch up model of my design and prepare a sales presentation for it. I can't afford to take a day off this weekend. And on top of that I have revisions to do for one of my paying clients by the mid part of next week.
I am always a prime example of I never have money when I have time and I never have time when I have money.

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Hey - you picked a good weekend to dbl-up on the school work. pop some popcorn and get to work! There will be more runs.

ctracy5
March 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I have a lot of Redbull that was for the trip but now its for homework, Its is CSU's spring break the week after next so I am planning on doing something that week. I will plan something out and get it posted.

I am just bummed that I worked so hard to get my lift on and now it doesn't matter.

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I worked so hard to get my lift on and now it doesn't matter.
What??? Of course it matters! There will be more runs.

(OMG - I sound like a mother!!!")

Chris
March 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
That's pretty much unavoidable Jackie, it's just a problem when you start sounding like your mother!

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
My mother would have said... "What-ever. Don't be late for dinner".

Brad
March 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM
China wall snag. I just got a call from Steve(scout man) who heard from Big Ed who is at China Wall, the area we normally use has been shut down by the forest service. We need a alternate gathering area, any suggestions?

possibly the area right at the wall? There is a clearing just past it.

Jackie
March 8th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Has the hill going UP to that spot been closed??? I'm not familiar with another way up. (Doesn't mean there isn't one). Did Ed say if it's snowing yet? We got nuthin' here so far.

Brad
March 8th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Yes it has. According to Ed. That is all the info I got.

scout man
March 8th, 2013, 09:01 PM
The trail itself is open, but all of the meadowsaare closed except the one right by the road. Will have to gather there.

Brad
March 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Just talked to Ed, he said it is dry and the area about a 1/2 mile up the road is clear, right before you head up the first hill and there is plenty of room. He is setting up camp for the night there. He is setting up markers for us to follow.

Southparkjk
March 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM
We have about 3/4" at this time here at FairPlay and it is still coming down but not to hard yet.

Robert B
March 8th, 2013, 09:37 PM
ed messaged me too lol that he is up there ...should be fun!!

Bunyon & Babe
March 8th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Snowing now pretty good here at the house , but Tarryall is a world away when it comes to what the weather is doing across South Park. We could have a lot more or a lot less over at the run tomorrow > got 3" here and still coming . Either way tomorrow should be fun

sdhill
March 9th, 2013, 03:56 AM
As of now, still no snow in Conifer.

Rick
March 9th, 2013, 06:37 AM
snowing a little here at 470 & Bowles but nothing on the roads

Chris
March 9th, 2013, 06:43 AM
All packed, ready to go, but can't. :mad:

I won't bore you with details, take lotsof pics & have the great time I planned to have.

sdhill
March 9th, 2013, 06:45 AM
It started snowing at 5:30 am up here, it's coming down fairly good now. We have just about an inch now.

Looks to be a great day!! I thought China Wall was to easy last time. :D

sdhill
March 9th, 2013, 06:50 AM
All packed, ready to go, but can't. :mad:

I won't bore you with details, take lots of pics & have the great time I planned to have.

Thats no good. Enjoy your day.

I think we are going to have a lot of extra food lol.

Southparkjk
March 9th, 2013, 07:01 AM
well we only got about 1" of snow and sun shining right now (FairPlay Area)

Chris
March 9th, 2013, 07:05 AM
A light snow started a minute ago in Aurora, I'm betting the sun and minimal snow Richard reported will hold for the day.

Rick
March 9th, 2013, 07:07 AM
I think we are going to have a lot of extra food lol.thats why i didnt shop till i get to conifer,the way it was going I was just gonna fend for myself. leavin in about 10 minutes

Southparkjk
March 9th, 2013, 07:14 AM
I sure hope it holds off even as much as I like snow. I would like to see a good turn out for the run today.

Shane
March 9th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Everybody drive safe and have fun !!!!

Robert B
March 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM
big ed just told me its barely starting at the trail

94ToyBear
March 9th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I'm still in I am at king soopers now. Cya soon

Rob
March 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Had to cancel. Roads weren't bad in Longmont when I left at 6:30, but by the time I hit 93 south of Boulder, they were already bad and getting worse. After passing one wreck and stopping to drag a CRV out of a ditch, I decided to turn around and head home. Hope others had better luck.

Tom
March 9th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the update Rob. I've been second guessing myself all morning.

Jackie
March 9th, 2013, 12:36 PM
The roads here aren't bad. Just got back from the grocery store and really they are just wet with a bit of slush. I was second guessing myself too. Kicking myself for bailing out, but then when I think of the cold temps and wind... I'm glad I'm home to smell the pot roast cooking!!! Hope the rest of the folks are having fun!

Rob
March 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the update Rob. I've been second guessing myself all morning.

Maybe I-25 would have been a better route, but the thought of what 285 might be like made decide not to even try an alternate route.

ExplorerTom
March 9th, 2013, 02:18 PM
And it's been warmer down here so the roads aren't collecting as much. Go up a couple thousand feet in elevation and have mountains and trees shade the road 100% of the time and it could be a different story.

I had my March wheeling trip last weekend and got to play in the snow so I'm not at all sad about missing out on this. Got to make a snowman in the yard with the kids. And there's plenty more weekends ahead.

jaymoto
March 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM
ive been at airport since 3am sat morning on standby and pushing snow in front end loader. ive been wondering how all were doing been able to check web site. hope we hear from the group soon to seee how it all went I hope well.

4Runninfun
March 9th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Waiting on the report!

Coonburger
March 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
starting to worry bout em a bit search party?

Rick
March 9th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Just got home. everyone did fine. trail was very icy,pixs to follow later

Rick
March 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM
but the thought of what 285 might be like roads werent really that bad,just took an easy pace,had a camp fire and BBQ then hit the trail for a few hours,got off the trail and back to another camp fire for awhile.

tonkatoy
March 9th, 2013, 09:43 PM
just got home

94ToyBear
March 9th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Home safe had fun

GaryG
March 9th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks for posting up guys, was getting worried

The StRanger
March 9th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Glad we're hearing from peeps
I was startin to worry..

Jackie
March 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Welcome home guys! Glad you're safe!

transplant87
March 9th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Even tho I didn't RSVP I showed up and had a blast and just got home.

xaza
March 9th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Just made it home also.

scout man
March 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
made it home. No problems coming out of the mountains, back roads between the springs and elizabeth had some serious snow blowing across it. The road itself was fine, you just couldnt find it!!!

My real fun started in my neighborhood. Pulled up my road into a snow drift over my headlights on my tow rig. Made it through the first one, but the second one stopped me. Pulled the scout off the trailer, busted right through the drift and attempted to winch it out, but when I plugged in my winch controller I saw a spark, and I think I blew out my solenoid. Anyways, hooked my strap between the two and my scout drug itself, the truck, and the trailer the rest of the way to my house!!

Brad
March 9th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Jenn and I just got home. Pics and info tomorrow. Glad you made it into your driveway Steve! :thumb:

Those who weren't there, really missed out.

Clickpopboom
March 10th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Glad to hear everyone made it back. My wife nay-sayed my leaving this morning, so I spent the day watching movies and eating the snacks that I had packed in my winter kit. Hopefully we'll get something else on the agenda soon.

04z71
March 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Had a great time! Sorry I had to bail so, early. Can't wait for next time.

Southparkjk
March 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM
We had a great time, And what a great day next year I'll make it all the way up the trail...