PDA

View Full Version : Interior winch control wiring

Cr33p3r
December 12th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Recently I made up a control switch panel for 2 more and 2 control power switches for both my winches and one switch to operate either winch from inside the cab, here is a quick drawing I did of it as well as actual photos of the panel. Still need to make labels for it. The main winch control switch is a spring loaded double pole double throw switch. I will be adding two more LED lights for the opposite side of the switch.

Fordguy77
December 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Very nice Sean! Now I know whose wiring the fj60 :rolleyes:

Rick
December 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
that'll be sweeet!

Jeremy
December 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I may be misreading your diagram, but with the way you have it wired up, couldn't you accidentally have both winches controlled by the in/out switch at the same time?

Hypoid
December 12th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Looks that way to me. :thumb:

Andrew
December 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I may be misreading your diagram, but with the way you have it wired up, couldn't you accidentally have both winches controlled by the in/out switch at the same time?

Useful for when you want to rip your rig apart.

Cr33p3r
December 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM

True, I am going to mount switch covers on the two power switches.

Fordguy77
December 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Useful for when you want to rip your rig apart.
Or be incredible useful when you need to winch your rig parallel to its current location. Or even more useful for the long recovery of another vehicle on a limited traction surface, and can serve as an adjustable anchor point. Sometimes its nice to think outside the box.

Andrew
December 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Or be incredible useful when you need to winch your rig parallel to its current location. Or even more useful for the long recovery of another vehicle on a limited traction surface, and can serve as an adjustable anchor point. Sometimes its nice to think outside the box.

My post was also useful for those with a sense of humor.

Cr33p3r
January 29th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Ok after installing in the truck and hooking up one of the winches I did realize the mistake I made with the first diagram, that the winches would end up with two power sources to the control switch if hooked up like it was, to remedy this I redid the wiring and diagram removing the Battery power to the extra power switches and just using the sole power from the winch itself that normally powers the hand held controller. So now I will have 2 seperate control switches--> 1 for each winch and the old power switches are auxillary for future use. Look at the old vs the new diagram and see the differences.

xaza
January 29th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Much better because the original had the power having to pass through your aux switches to work winch, wasting 2 switches. So the supply power for the winch switches comes from winch? Where does power for aux switches and lights come from? You are getting enough switches in there to consider running a dedicated power source from battery for switch console, well IMO.

Cr33p3r
January 29th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Much better because the original had the power having to pass through your aux switches to work winch, wasting 2 switches. So the supply power for the winch switches comes from winch? Where does power for aux switches and lights come from? You are getting enough switches in there to consider running a dedicated power source from battery for switch console, well IMO.

You would be correct, the winch control is powered directly from the winches and the other switches are directly powered from one of the batteries. I am at the point I NEED a higher output alternator. I will be doing a terminal strip for all the power for the switches so I won't have so many connections on the battery. I wasn't thinking about the winch control being an electronic setup when I did the original design so with this in mind the supply power comes directly off the transformer and I just tapped into the existing plug in for the hand held controller so I will still be able to operate it that way also if needed.

glacierpaul
January 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Sweet Sean! Very cool and useful thread..