PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to think about this one...

Hypoid
December 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Some of my thoughts are not that polite, so I'll keep them to myself. Past that, DAYUMMM!!!!

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3398302606.html

Brad
December 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Wow! That is crazy. You can make the $600 back off that pretty easy. Wonder how exactly it rolled?

Chris
December 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
It would make more sense if he offered to pay $600 to get it out of there, wherever "there" may be.

scout man
December 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I would sure as heck make sure I had a title in hand and verified the VIN before I touched it. I agree Mike, I dont know how to feel about it either. Seems shady to me, something just doesnt sit well about it.

Jim
December 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Yea, it would seem the "meeting spot" to view the vehicle simply requires a 4x4. If the viewing agrees, the sale takes place on the spot.

The StRanger
December 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM
wherever "there" may be.

I hear Red Elephant hill, Bout 2 miles up

Jim
December 16th, 2012, 10:09 PM
So, a two vehicle, three driver removal. One vehicle in front with one behind - all three strapped in a line - and a driver to steer and perhaps brake in the disabled?

Hypoid
December 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I try to not be judgemental because I wasn't there. The information presented in the ad hits my buttons all wrong.

The guy is on a mountian road. He has a mishap and can't (?) retrieve his vehicle. Does he not have friends?

Rather than get his vehicle home, he attempts to make recovery someones else's problem. I heard a story, about a wreck on F.S. land...

If he can't sell it outright, he'll strip it on the side of a mountian, to sell the viable parts. What about the rest???

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd ask for help, in a heartbeat! I would also get my vehicle off the mountian, before posting ads on the internet.

Grump out...

otisdog
December 17th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I won't mention the trail name to keep rip-offs away but it is one that can be real dangerous. I understand he tried to get it out and had no luck.
Jim

Cr33p3r
December 17th, 2012, 05:07 AM
If you look past the truck you can see burned trees actually it appears to resting against one! All I am going to say on the matter.

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Funny, I just saw this guy a few weeks ago up here... weird little truck, narrowed front & rear.

Red elephant is a 5/7 on TD, and that doesn't look like the area below the main feature (only place I can see rolling) and there's no burned trees there either.

I've got no interest in this turd, but I'd sure be glad to get it off the F'in trail, like his buddies & he SHOULD have done!

Got a few local buddies with nasty rigs, might see if they're interested in helping get this off the trail.

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
hrm........ maybe its actually up at lefthand i was up there last night but it was dark and i wasnt looking for anything, i mean its partially burned up there and it kindof looks like the terrian

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM
id be down to help with a recovery but he should be paying someone to help or just hand over to title , i mean the forest service is gonna flip out they find out bout it

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
texted him, gonna see if he just wants help to get it off the trail

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 10:07 AM
texted him, gonna see if he just wants help to get it off the trail

If so, I'm up for helping as well. I was going to do the same. I don't want the thing, but I want it out of the woods as I'm sure most would.

Chris
December 17th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Speculation on Left Hand, Red Elephant don't fit with his saying "by Evergreen" so I'll guess Red Cone.

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Speculation on Left Hand, Red Elephant don't fit with his saying "by Evergreen" so I'll guess Red Cone.

Boy... I don't see that being much closer either though. I guess up 285 it's not that far...

I'm betting he lives in evergreen though, not that the truck is supposed to be there.

Chris
December 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah but it's easier to imagine rolling it and not being able to recover it there. Reminds me of the Land Cruiser last year if this is legitimate.

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah but it's easier to imagine rolling it and not being able to recover it there. Reminds me of the Land Cruiser last year if this is legitimate.

Trying to picture where in the trees you could roll it though, it seems so tame down in the lower parts.

Chris
December 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Good point.

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?201965-Jeep-Rolled
they say its on red elephant, i called forest service letting them know cuz this is bs to leave something like that up there and not get back with people, i did some digging found out his name and ****

Rick
December 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
texted him, gonna see if he just wants help to get it off the trailI willing to help also if I can be available;let me know

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
red elephant is narrow as **** so gonna need to use a bridal to hook the frame, i got that from my towing days, and probly gonna have to snatch down to it fun pull could have to side pull it up depending on how wide the trail is

AccordRanger
December 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I would gladly take it off his hands if he handed the title over for recovery. But $600 plus having to yank it out of there?

If my truck was rolled I would be trying to get it out ASAP.

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
see that pic from colorado 4x4 , iam shocked nobody is dead

Robert B
December 17th, 2012, 10:51 AM
ya Coon if you ever think of going up let me know lol ...i haveno problem with people rolling or other things that happen but when they just leave it .....thats what i dont like

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 10:51 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60978_523030087721495_3439176_n.jpg

Robert B
December 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
can you tell if thats just the tires turned or id the brame bent way in half???? i cant quite tell

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
iam game to go get it , just want the forest service to say yes go grab it yada yada, since the guy aint getting back with nobody

AccordRanger
December 17th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I would be willing to help depending on the day. I would have to ride with someone but can meet at the trail.

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
yeah there suppose to get snow up there tonight i think thats what iam worried bout , gets to a point it will be snowed in till spring

Chris
December 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM
iam game to go get it , just want the forest service to say yes go grab it yada yada, since the guy aint getting back with nobody

The FS will not say yes, they don't own it and can't give permission to do anything. Regardless of this guys irresponsibility he still owns it.

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
damn i was hoping they could do a abandoned vehicle or something

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
It's snowing here now, I've got 1" on the ground, and the main feature (only place I can see rolling) is about 200' above my place.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/12178_4160716858289_1572576774_n.jpg

Red elephant is on the other side of the hill to the right. Usually you can see spring creek upper trails (the townsite mines & above) from here... so it's snowing pretty decently in that valley right now. When it clears up I'll grab my big lens & see if I can see where it's at & get some shots of the area for reference & to get a game plan for recovery.

The wooded section before it opens up is pretty covered, I'd expect to winch up some of that, but higher up should melt off quick once the sun comes out, that face stays dry most of the year. If we've got a crew, some shoveling & prep might make the lower part more approachable & safe. It's very doable to get up there some time soon, as it's all S facing.

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Just had a bunch of texts back & forth with him, he's willing to help, he has a trailer if it can be gotten to the TH, but he didn't have the resources to get it out of there.

I saw someone talked about running RE sunday, I'd be up for helping then... not sure on weather though.

looks to be sunny friday at least... but only 31, that'll still melt some snow though.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7750333507536&lon=-105.64247131347656

He's trying to sign on (getting the same retarded "your email has been banned" message I got when I tried to sign on to CO4x4), I asked him to send Chris a message here to set him up.

Hopefully we'll get lucky on weather and be able to get him out of there. I just don't want it sitting there all winter giving the anti-a holes ammo to close trails around here. As the raod washes away at N empire, R.E. may eventually be the only access above me to the trails & BM lake.

Rick
December 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Im off this wed. but the forecast doesn't look good. Willing to go but not willing to wreck my truck to do it.

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 01:01 PM
not at all worth it. I'd wait for a full crew to be safer.

Chris
December 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I asked him to send Chris a message

Haven't heard anything from him yet.

otisdog
December 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
One thing for sure, better get it out of there before Wednesday. One good snow and RE will be done for the season.That trail would be too wicked in the snow.
Jim

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I don't see that happening...

No point in going with one, maybe two rigs... I'd want 4 guys minimum, and gonna be hard to do that in one day. (and nobody is going to want to go out in the snow to do it I'd think.

I'll go if someone wants to do an afternoon, but I won't go with just one other rig... not worth the risk for me.

Coonburger
December 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM
yeah am always game to winch a wreck up from a valley reminds me of the good ol days but that is way to off camber to be out there in the snow aint worth my life or my rig, talk to me when its dry ill be up there in a heart beat working my ass off to help out

Jim
December 17th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I could be an extra vehicle / hand on Wed. Chains for two wheels to boot.

EDIT: Though, yes, if the trail's too risky in the conditions, not worth it.

Rick
December 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I could be an extra vehicle / hand on WedIm game if not to bad

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/215041_4161964969491_558750475_n.jpg

FYI, just a tiny bit right of dead center.

REALLY hard to pick out because it's behind a stubby tree.

I drove up to an offshoot of SC up by the flag a couple hours ago.

Chris
December 17th, 2012, 06:51 PM
as others have said, I may be able to help but the weather coming in doesn't look like it'll cooperate.

Backcountryislife
December 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
as others have said, I may be able to help but the weather coming in doesn't look like it'll cooperate.

yeah... if it's not, then oh well. Honestly, we don't hold snow at all on these S facing hills here... Pretty sure we won't have to wait till summer.

Hypoid
December 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM
You guys rock!

Jackie
December 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
You guys really do "rock"! It's amazing to see how many people in the 4x4 community, (not just in this group, but others as well), who are willing to go help drag that POS out of there.

The driver should have asked for help immediately after it happened. He would have gotten it. It's harder now because of the weather and all. I wouldn't risk my life or my vehicle at this point.

The story reminds me of the rescue a while back of the guy who drove a modified rig because he was handicapped and managed to roll it. Winter rolled in and his rig stayed unmolested until spring came and people were able to get it out and give it back to him and it was still in pretty good shape as I recall.

Geno
December 17th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I agree, it should have been recovered as soon as possible. As a former Police tow truck recovery driver ( in the 1980s) sooner is always better than later, theft, some one uses it for target practice, leaks on the ground, animals get into the wiring. it all makes it harder to get out. Been there done that. I pulled one out of Cheyenne Caynon that was down 250 foot at 10-12 % grade for 45 days, it was stripped pretty good. thiefs can get to about any thing.

Jim
December 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM
From Kaleb's pic, my best guess...

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/frontrange4x4-pix/Elephant-hill-roll-n.jpg

http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/frontrange4x4-pix/Elephant-hill-roll-n2.jpg

Robert B
December 18th, 2012, 12:15 AM
from the pic it seems doable so its manily what the plan is and who would go lol

Backcountryislife
December 18th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Jim... that's spot on. Well done sir!

well... it's dumping here right now (and thundering, which I always think is cool during a snow storm!), and supposed to keep it up till tomorrow.

My hopes of this are diminishing, but clear day on friday, so we'll see.

Rick
December 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM
let me know either way.:thumb:

Chris
December 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I'm impressed Jim, I couldn't find the truck much less the trail. Keep us posted Kaleb and send that thunder & snow our way!

Jim
December 18th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Thundersnow - I've only experienced it once - and well remember how white an area can be when a lightning bolt illuminates all of the white snow falling down.

Wed is my only option until early January so I'll be watching to see what, if anything, happens!

Rick
December 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Wed is my only optionme too unfortunately as I work all weekend

Rick
December 18th, 2012, 05:42 PM
hows it lookin up there Kaleb?

Rick
December 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Though, yes, if the trail's too risky in the conditions, not worth it.whatcha thinkin Jim, Do you wanna take a ride up there tomorrow and check it out?

Chris
December 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hey Rick, I just heard from a guy I know that drives an 18 wheeler and he's not getting over the Eisenhauer tonight. It's said to be moving our way.

Jim
December 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
A valid question - it's on my far horizon, but I don't think so. That trip is a $50 fuel cost for the Jeep. While I do have enough flexibility should there be a formal try to haul it out, it's tad too costly to go scouting. If I had a totally open day and weather was attractive, I'd likely say yes.

As it is, tomorrow is my get all odd-n-ends tied up at home and at the office day and I should use my time to get that stuff done.

Thanks for asking though!

Rick
December 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM
:thumb:

Backcountryislife
December 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM
FYI... I know this is inconceivable... but as usual the Denver forecasters are clueless.

We got (hold onto your seats for this one...) ONE POINT FIVE INCHES!!!!!

Yep, you heard right, megasuperstorm predicted by the weather guys didn't do squat here.

SO, that said, I'm pretty hopeful with 3 days of sun in front of sunday, that this is looking more doable.

I can hike in on sat & clear some areas where it's drifted in, do a little prep work to make sure it's good to go.

Backcountryislife
December 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
42 degrees right now, blue skies, snow is almost melted off my jeep.

If anyone wants to help sunday, it looks like it'll be doable.

Coonburger
December 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM
looks like some people on co4x4 are doing a run up there sunday meeting up at like 830 and one said he would help if the timing was right

Backcountryislife
December 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM
looks like some people on co4x4 are doing a run up there sunday meeting up at like 830 and one said he would help if the timing was right

If the guy who runs that site wasn't such a douche I could actually try to coordinate with them & figure out a plan.:cool:

Backcountryislife
December 21st, 2012, 05:22 PM
just went over there a bit ago. not gonna happen this weekend.

Didn't even make it 20' up the trail.

Some other time.

Chris
December 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for checking Kaleb, I was just checking in to see the status.

Backcountryislife
December 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
yeah... Couldn't believe how snowed in it was right at the bottom.

I've talked to the USFS, and the CCSO and both say they could give a poo less... we never had this talk. Technically it's the circus's problem but Brandt was sick today & they said just call the sheriff. Sheriff said we never talked, if it shows up on the side of the road... it'll go to impound.

Hypoid
December 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yup, government agencies have rules to follow.

I'd be up for strap *****, if I gets permission to play.

Backcountryislife
December 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
The nice thing about being up here... both basically said do what you want, thanks for getting that POS off the trail.

Jackie
December 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a free-for-all.

I don't want any part of it, but I thank anyone who spends their weekend trying to get the garbage off the mountain. The owner of the truck should duck away shyly and kiss it goodbye. (Or have the kahunas to show up and help get it out of there in any way he can).

Backcountryislife
December 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
he talked a good game for a bit... but he ended up not doing squat. Told me he signed up here for an account...

whatever.

We'll yank it off at some point, and leave it on the side of the road... then I'll buy it at auction for $10 later, and give it to a buddy with a yota for parts.

Hypoid
December 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
he talked a good game for a bit... but he ended up not doing squat. Told me he signed up here for an account...

whatever.Maybe we are just too damn friendly on this board. Reading that thread on CO4x4 seared my eyeballs!

It's not like I've never been over my head, I have! I was fortunate to be with enough people, who were equipped to save the day. I'd like to give the owner the shadow of a doubt. Too bad he's MIA...

Rick
December 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
Reading that thread on CO4x4 seared my eyeballs!yeah, doesnt seem to be liked to much over there

Jim
December 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM

whatever.

We'll yank it off at some point, and leave it on the side of the road... then I'll buy it at auction for $10 later, and give it to a buddy with a yota for parts.

Could you ask him to sign the title and mail it to you (and you'd get it taken care of at no cost to him...)?

Chris
December 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
leave the FS out of it, if the CCSO says go fo it that's good enough. The FS has lots of paperwork for something like this, the SO can blow the negligent owner off easily. I'm in favor of finding the owner and making him show up with the title. He's a discredit to all of us and never signed on here as he said. That being said he sounds like an assh0le and would probably not e a good fit any way.

gm4x4lover
December 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
I'm in favor of finding the owner and making him show up with the title. He's a discredit to all of us and never signed on here as he said. That being said he sounds like an assh0le and would probably not e a good fit any way.

I second this notion with a pitchfork.

Jim
December 22nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
A modest thought to ponder before hitting Submit...

Some people have commented on the scathing remarks on "a different" offroad forum. It might make a person not think too highly of the members of the other forum. Non-positive / non-constructive comments to the situation, posted here, might also have others thinking poorly of folks at this forum.

Members of other forums occasionally check out posts here, as well as people of the general public via search engines. What we present helps them form their opinion of us.

Just a thought, I'll kick back to the corner recliner.

`wish I was there to help (the typical ~15 hour trip to Illinois took well over double the time due to ice-packed closed roads from the storm)

Jackie
December 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
???

I fail to see any posts on any forum I have visited that has said anything that would embarrass the group. People here are (in general) pissed off that the owner didn't ask for help recovering the vehicle in a timely manner (as in - as soon as he was able to reach a phone or a computer). He would have received help, but now we have to wait...

Rick
December 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
pissed off that the owner didn't ask for help recovering the vehicle in a timely mannerI agree and if offended don't read it

Coonburger
December 22nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
i think what the colorado4x4 members are most upset about is the blatant disregard to our national forest. trying to sell it and even saying in the same post if he don't hell strip it and leave it there. I am definitely not what u would call a tree hugger by any means still though there is a line i wouldn't even cross. and the guy crossed that line.

gm4x4lover
December 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
The dude with the toyota is a total tool. Who freakin tries to sell a rolled over vehicle abandoned in the mountains.

gm4x4lover
December 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
The dude with the toyota is a total tool. Who freakin tries to sell a rolled over vehicle abandoned in the mountains.

CS79bronco
December 23rd, 2012, 12:33 AM
Some dude here in the Springs tried to sell a Bronco he drove off Rampart Range Road last spring & couldn't get out, on Craigslist. He finally had it towed, then tried to sell for parts to pay the bill. IIRC it wasn't damaged as bad as that 'yota, but was well beat up.

Backcountryislife
December 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM
well... it's been snowing pretty good around here lately... woke up to about 8" today. Guess it'll be a while before that thing goes away.

I'm done dealing with the owner, when we yank it out, he will not get a call, and I'll leave it on the side of the road. 2 weeks later he'll get a towing & impound bill that's more than the value of the vehicle, and he'll end up letting it go for nothing, still owing the money to the county.

Had he manned up & gotten ahold of people who could help him, this would have been dealt with much quicker & he'd be on the good side of the law.

glacierpaul
December 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
It is a little concerning he has no freinds that would have helped him out, if he was already a member here, he would have gotten his truck pulled that same day, if not the next. On a side, it is a good thing he did not start a fire over there! Kaleb, hit me up when it is runable, I will be there, having never ran R.E. Thanks to all whom are concerned! Maybe this can one of the clubs first runs next season?

Backcountryislife
December 28th, 2012, 08:11 AM
How the heck have you managed to avoid the pain in the a** that is red elephant??? That's like un-possible. :D

I spent about an hour on the phone with Brant & the plan at this point is to get it out first run of the season, before the wheels magically disappear.

I tried to help him, and tried to get him to be a member here, but he lied to me about signing up... so he's gonna get a nice big kick in the balls for abandoning a vehicle on USFS land.

They wouldn't have done anything to him otherwise, but since he did nothing to get it out... it's gonna be an expensive winter for Jake unfortunately. I'm hiking up this weekend to get the VIN for Brant.

gm4x4lover
December 28th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Is it possible to get a trailer up there? What's the plan to get it down? And what about storage when its down?

Backcountryislife
December 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
no trailer, dragging it down (hoping the brakes work, but back strapping if not) and leaving it on the side of the road.

Dep Albers who is the guy who deals with this crap said just to leave it out of the way & it'll get impounded which is the plan, and then when auction time comes if there's anyone who has a yota & wants parts I'll give them a heads up. I don't want that turd, but it's a SA yota... it's got parts someone will want. For what the impound fee will be, and after paying the big tickets from the USFS, I doubt JAKE will be picking it up.

Jim
December 28th, 2012, 03:20 PM
So Kaleb,

Any raw guess as to when an extraction might happen? I'll be looking to work on the Jeep (pull / inspect / rejuvenate the xfer case) but have some flexibility.

Backcountryislife
December 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
probably april-ish? It's so hit & miss around here.

gm4x4lover
December 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I have 2 rigs wih winches as well. How far from where its at to where its the road or how close can we get a trailer?

Backcountryislife
December 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
The way we plan to hit it is two rigs snatched off to uphill trees, parked against the uphill bank, yank him up using both winches so one guy isn't beating on his, then it's about a 2 mile run out... steep & off camber... PERFECT kind of trail to do this on ;)

Bunyon & Babe
January 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Keep me posted , Ide like to help too.

Bunyon & Babe
January 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM
Keep me posted , Ide like to help too. I'll try to keep checking this thread come April to see when you're planning
to go up there.

Max
January 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM
This posting has been deleted by its author.

Backcountryislife
January 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
well... it's almost 60 here right now! Might be sooner than we were guessing!!!

(still snow in the shadows though... and that whole darn trail is shadowed pretty much)

glacierpaul
May 22nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
bump

Jim
May 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19043-quot-That-quot-trail-recovery-thread&p=231551#post231551