PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a truck

migli
December 20th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hey guys my little brother has a 94 f-150 that shakes when he starts it in second and it also shakes a little in fourth, but if he starts in first then shifts to second it only shakes a little any ideas were at a loss here. Thanks

Patrolman
December 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Automatic or manual tranny?

migli
December 20th, 2012, 07:18 PM
its a manual

CS79bronco
December 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a clutch problem, probably getting worn. Might also be engine not running right.

Popsgarage
December 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Very possibly the pilot bushing or throwout bearing.

The StRanger
December 20th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Iv seen the same thing when the clutch chatter springs go bad
Loose a couple of coils and it ....Chatters....

Hypoid
December 21st, 2012, 06:00 AM
The description is kind of vague. Check the engine and transmission mounts before moving on to anything else.

Rick
December 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM
The description is kind of vague. Check the engine and transmission mounts before moving on to anything else. that was also my 1st thought

Robert B
December 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
sounds like the clutch is skipping...or i think chattering might be the word already said as my truck does that also when i do it just right or in third which is too high and the clutch will engage then slip and try to reingage.............just a thought but might be more of a worn pressure plate if it is like that cause the clutch seems to want to engage............my truck also did it when the clutch was missing about half the friction material when starting off a little bit.......you can check the motor mounts and tranny mounts but ( i had this problem too one time lol) they usually tend to do more of a big clunk as the torque will be the same then another clunk when the torque is lessened or removed..............just what i have had with my truck and what the problems were :D

Robert B
December 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
or what pops said could be true also but mine gave more of a speed vibration when those parts were bad :) again just my experiences

gm4x4lover
December 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Why would you start in second?

Robert B
December 21st, 2012, 09:42 PM
GM 4x4 lover i do not know what manual is in miglis brothers truck has but my 4 speed and my now 5 speed are wide ratio gears........very wide....also known as granny gear transmissions........the 5 speed has a 6.32 to one first gear and about a 3.40 to one second gear .......my dads jeep has a 4.00 to one First gear and it wide ratio just not as wide and is designed to start in first gear...............mine is designed to start in second gear and first gear is for steep hills or under heavy loads......my first gear gets me to about 7mph at 4000 rpm..:) so it is useless for most road driving

gm4x4lover
December 22nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
My 4speed Chevy's were the same way, but I don't belive the f150 has a granny first. The fact that it doesn't do it when starting in first tells me that its not a trans problem but rather the engine being loaded up and either not really having the power to pull it up starting in second or maybe its just not running up to par a only shows when loaded at very low rpm. If it was a clutch issue it should show the problem in the lowest gear.

Hypoid
December 22nd, 2012, 08:20 AM
Maybe the guy is flat out lugging the engine. Hard to tell without some firsthand observation.

I do remember trying to find a 5-speed tranny for the same era F-150, with a six cylinder engine. I think the bell housing was the same as the 351W engine. Every possible donor was missing the tranny. I don't remember the model designation of the tranny, but it was nortorious for wearing out.

Robert B
December 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
if it is the shake i think it is it wont show in the lowest gear lol its like if i try to start in third it shakes real badly ........but i would have to drive it to see what the shake is exactly and i know ford has at least 1 granny gear 5 speed...a 5.72 to 1 first and then a 2.94 second

gm4x4lover
December 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Zx5 or zf5 I can't quite remember

CS79bronco
December 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
The ZF5s have granny low 1st, but didn't come in F150, just F250 & up. Could have been swapped.

Geno
December 22nd, 2012, 10:13 PM
The last F150 i installed a clutch in (1995 i think) had a M5R2 mazda 5 speed with a 1st gear of 3:75 to 1 ratio. That trans was in f150s from 1988-1996. After 1996 I am not sure but I beleive they used the M5OD Mazda trans, still a peice of junk with a I think 3.90 to 1 1st. F250 and up used the ZF 5 speed with a wide or close ratio setup. Go to How to identify a ford trans .com, they should have pictures so you can match what you have. As far as the shaking ,it can be several different things or a combo of a couple things, I would need t inspect and drive the unit, or better have the driver drive it and hopefully create the problem and then it would be a lot easier to figure out. :2c: