PDA

View Full Version : Teton and Yellowstone trip this summer.

ColoRaider
January 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
We are looking to take a weeklong trip up to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this summer. I am trying to plan some camp sites for the three of us to stay at. We are looking for tent and vehicle( my 4runner) camp sites, preferable out of the way and generator free and anything near some water would be a nice bonus. I have never been to either park, and was wondering if anyone had any tent sites they might suggest. Our trip is planned from the 1st of june through the 10th or 11th. any suggestions would be great.

Patrolman
January 7th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I believe Chris has done some Yellowstone camping. My parents camp at both on a regular basis. I believe tent camping within Yellowstone is limited due to bears. Of course most areas in Yellowstone are going to be designated camp areas with RV's and generators. Make sure you are looking at opportunities outside the park even though you may have to commute in to see the sites.

Chris
January 7th, 2013, 03:12 PM
You're smart to make reservations now if you can because that time of year is busy. I stayed at a campground along the strip of road between Yellowstone NP & Grand Tenton NP but it was a plug-in site and not a tent site. I suggest calling the park and asking where you can camp, the web is good for some stuff but talking to a human frequently is not only easier but saves a lot of time.

Chris
January 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM
One more thought - we spent 7 days in Yellowstone alone with 1 day in the Teton area. Plan your time because it flies and the parks are huge. I don't recall exactly but I think it's a couple hour drive from one end to the other in Yellowstone alone.

Jackie
January 7th, 2013, 03:28 PM
x2 what Chris said above. Plus, if you plan to walk the trails through the geysers (and wait to see each one spout off - which is a must!) Then it requires a lot of time. Hiking in the Tetons is also a blast, but plan on long days to get the most bang! You'll love those parks!!!

Tom
January 7th, 2013, 04:35 PM
East of Jackson on a road that paralells the south side the wildlife refuge there used to be a great remote campground. I last camped there in the early 80's but at that time, during peak summer months, there was only one other camper in the campground. The Jenny lake campground actually in the GT park is wonderful but has crowds.

North end of Yellowstone at near Cooke City was a great campground. It had bears though the last time I was there. If you end up at that end of the park be certain to head up the LuLu City road for the old ghost town. The bar in cooke city used to be a hoot too. I lived west of Cody in Sunlight Basin for a year and spent quite a bit of time in Yellowstone. Haven't been there in years except to drive through a year ago.

ColoRaider
January 15th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I think we might just stick with Yellowstone for the full 7... looking at camping just outside the park.