PDA

View Full Version : Transmission help.

AccordRanger
January 10th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Pretty soon I'm going to start working on getting my 1970 Chevy K20 running, it has the 350 in it. When we bought it we were told it likes to pop out of a gear while driving. Can't remember which one.

If I do have to replace it I would like to upgrade a bit. It currently had a 3 speed and granny gear. I would like to find a 4 speed that also had granny gear. Does anyone know what trannies like that will bolt up to the 350? Thanks guys.

xaza
January 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM
not sure if this helps
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17961-Transmission-transfer-case
turns out to be a 4 speed with a 6.55:1 1st gear

AccordRanger
January 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately no what I'm looking for. I want to keep it a manual and don't plan on making it a crawler. Now if only I could fit it on my explorer.

Fordguy77
January 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately no what I'm looking for. I want to keep it a manual and don't plan on making it a crawler. Now if only I could fit it on my explorer.
The one in the link is a 4spd. It was just mis identified at first. Why the desire to keep granny? There are some nice 5 speed swaps out there.

Robert B
January 10th, 2013, 10:58 PM
what do you mean by 3 speed and a granny gear ??? that it has 4 gears total??? cause theh its probly popping out of third and i know what the tranny is....... i alos know of some others that will fit but it comes with a hefty price tag many times depending on what you want to do with the truck (wheel--street driving--lift--nolift)

AccordRanger
January 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM
The one in the link is a 4spd. It was just mis identified at first. Why the desire to keep granny? There are some nice 5 speed swaps out there.

It nice to have the granny when I need it.

what do you mean by 3 speed and a granny gear ??? that it has 4 gears total??? cause theh its probly popping out of third and i know what the tranny is....... i alos know of some others that will fit but it comes with a hefty price tag many times depending on what you want to do with the truck (wheel--street driving--lift--nolift)
Yes 4 speeds. It's mainly gonna be street driven and used for some towing. It may also see a mild trail or two every once in a while.

gm4x4lover
January 12th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I think all the 5 speeds are going to require you to switch from a cable operated set up to a hydrolic set up. It should be a sm 465 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muncie_SM465_transmission.
It's a pretty durable trans and other then missing an over drive its perfect. The nv4500 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_4500_transmission is avaliable with a granny gear. It would be my prefered swap.

Robert B
January 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM
im pretty sure ur poping outin third gear then lol as thats what happens with 465s and it all depends on how much money you want to spend..... i know a guy that can rebuild ur tranny for a prety good price and you can just run that for another 40 plus years........the 4500 takes a good chunk of money to put in......plus you have to get the hydo set up and as far i can tell that means tons of money for custom hydro lines and i could not find anyone to sell me some....unless you get lucky and find a junkyard set..... if wheeling you will need the aftermarket bellhousing which is a nice chunk of change (i had to buy it also) ........but then if you buy that bellhousing you can run the old ros clutch set up and do not need hydo at all...........and you will need a different transfer case as the 4500 has a differnt bolt pattern on the back and i dont think they mak an adapter to fit to the race track pattern your truck should have ........

if it was never to be trail driven you could run the stock 4500 bellhousing (i have one by the way ) but then you have to do hydro clutch ......... its all on how much money you want to spend lol :) im sending you a PM with my number in it if you want to ask me anything alse as i have done this in my truck