PDA

View Full Version : Camp cooking Whatcha got?

Funrover
January 10th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Been looking at camping more this year, as my wife and I miss it horribly. But I need to step up the cooking. I found a great site. Hope you can enjoy it also!

http://www.livingoverland.com/

And I was curious what do others cook,prepare, do for camp grub?

Funrover
January 11th, 2013, 12:01 AM
http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/

Also this one!

Robert B
January 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
im more of a cowboy when it comes to that lol steak chicken potatoes wrappin tin foil with seasonings tossed under the fire green beans or something on my little stove .......high quality food but more of the rustic simple stuff

Patrolman
January 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Aaron, are you looking for tent camping food on a little stove or in your camper?

I have never had a trailer prior to now, so all my cooking is backpacking stove friendly. Typically when we go to CanyonLands in Utah where it can be up to 5 days before we see a grocery store, I have a menu that I use on a regular basis now. Each person fends for themselves with lunch, usually pbj and some fruit.

Day One:
B-fast is usually before we hit the road
Dinner - Fajitas (everything is pre-grilled and frozen in zip locks in advance so it is just warmed up on the stove) with brownies for dessert.

Day Two:
B-fast - eggs and turkey bacon (cooked at home so just warmed).
Dinner - Dogs and burgers (frozen to last longer) with fruit salad and remaining brownies (we make a LOT beforehand).

Day Three:
B-fast - typically there is bacon left, and I include bagels/muffins and fruit
Dinner - typically pasta/sauce with garlic bread.

Day Four:
B-fast - oatmeal packets and fruit
Dinner - It varies, but often times we eat leftovers from other meals.

Day Five:
B-fast - oatmeal packets again; I bring multiple flavors.
We typically leave by the end of Day 5, so dinner is on the road.

Rick
January 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Generator w/ my trailer so not much changes from home( micro,oven and stove) I roughed it enough in my twenties and thirties and now enjoy the being outdoors part

BlackRubi
January 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I find it impressive that they have a gluten-free section. Ashley was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease, so this has become our life. It makes things a little more difficult and expensive. I hadn't thought about camping food, so thanks for the links!

Patrolman
January 13th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I got my driveshafts done at Englewood driveshaft, and attached to their shop is Farris Survival. I was in there a couple weeks ago and they have a selection of camp/survival foods, including gluten free. Just a shout out for the little guy.

Jackie
January 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I like to pre-cook some things at home and put it in appropriate sized baggies so I don't need the excess containers. Home-made chili is always good. Or home-made chicken soup. Freeze some of it so it lasts longer and acts as ice in your cooler. Boiled eggs for a quickie breakfast addition, and a nice cold turkey salad that I make for either a lunch or a dinner. Other than that - we grill meet and potatoes & vegies or use our stove to make pasta dishes, grilled cheese sandwiches etc. Our goal is always to keep dish ware and cook ware to a minimum.

Funrover
January 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I find it impressive that they have a gluten-free section. Ashley was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease, so this has become our life. It makes things a little more difficult and expensive. I hadn't thought about camping food, so thanks for the links!

Glad it helped!

The StRanger
January 13th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I used to do back packcooking with the Boy Scout.
Need to fix stuff that just needs water.
And cooks with little heat ....

ExplorerTom
January 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Just booked our first outing of the year- Memorial Day at San Luis SP near the Sand Dunes. Last year we only got out once because the state was on fire and all the fire bans. What fun is camping without a campfire to cook on and sit around at night?!?!??!

anyway, I have been pretty boring when it comes to camp cooking- boil some brats on my Coleman stove and them put them over some coals to finish off, some potato/butter/garlic thing wrap in foil on the fire, corn on the cob, grilled sandwiches, maybe some stove stuff (Mac n cheese, spaghetti, eggs), and pancakes on a griddle on the Coleman stove. And lunch is usually cold sandwiches or whatever- no cooking involved.

But I'm interested in improving.

Funrover
January 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I used to do back packcooking with the Boy Scout.
Need to fix stuff that just needs water.
And cooks with little heat ....

There is most definitely a time and place for that, however if I am bringing the camper and the better half that doesn't work.

Chris
January 14th, 2013, 12:14 PM
:lmao: Looking at my new trailer I think I'll just move everything in it since it may be better equipped than my home kitchen.

A microwave that works? Popcorn!

ExplorerTom
January 14th, 2013, 01:15 PM
At some point though, if your camp set up is as good as home- why go camping? Isn't part of the fun of camping cooking with less than ideal means? Primative even?

Microwave popcorn? Please. Get a couple of the Jiffy Pop things that you're suppose to use on a stovetop- shake that over the flames for a few minutes.

I've known people that have all the comforts of home in their trailers- satelite TV, air conditioning, shower, ovens, microwaves....... might as well stay at home instead of spending thousands of dollars on a trailer.

Chris
January 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I understand your point Tom and I have yet to use my "new to me" trailer. I have no interest in all the amenities but after a couple weeks in my popup last summer I really wanted one with a shower and toilet! Maybe spending days on end in 100° weather suits you but not me and being an "old guy" there are some luxuries I now want. Additionally, having those will make it possible to spend more time away from home. We have a trip to both the grand Canyon and Yosemite for this summer. No, I don't want TV type stuff and I find A/C rediculous but after pulling in to the Badlands last summer and hoping it would cool down to 100° by midnight I just might find times I will use it. :D

BTW, Jiffy Pop is hardly primitive! :rolleyes:

Rick
January 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM
might as well stay at home instead of spending thousands of dollars on a trailer.and that is why you stay in your tent

Jim
January 14th, 2013, 02:42 PM
If camping when fire bans are in place... I'm thinking either hot / warm manifold cooking or a small microwave connected to the inverter. I'm not a camp food person (typically day trips and at home each night) but I'm hoping to get out a few times this summer and start learning.

Funrover
January 14th, 2013, 05:26 PM
:lmao: Looking at my new trailer I think I'll just move everything in it since it may be better equipped than my home kitchen.

A microwave that works? Popcorn!

So you're cooking on the camp get together,Sweet!! :lmao: