PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

Tom
January 27th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I was given a Kindle Fire for my birthday earlier this month. I must say I really like what it does do. Book reading easy, email, vids, etc. No GPS....

I'm thinking I'd like a tablet that does all the above but also has a GPS that I can upload topo maps to for off roading. I know Gary has one. Don't remember what it is exactly.

Does anyone have any recommendations: brand, price, screen size?

If I get one my Kindle will go to the wife.

Patrolman
January 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I think the Fire has maps, but you are right, no GPS. You can download the maps before you go somewhere but it won't tell you where on the map you are. My parents found that out. They also have a couple GPS's already, so no big deal for them.

Brad
January 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I believe Gary has the Samsung galaxy 10, I have a ipad 2 with GPS, wifi and 3G. There is also the new ipad mini which I like as my ipad is pretty heavy with the protective case. I love my ipad and use itopo maps which can be downloaded and used offline.

Chris
January 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I have an iPad 1 with wifi and 3G, I use it pretty much exclusively now in place of a computer. MotionX has a couple great GPS apps that are cheap and as good as any free standing GPS I've seen.

ctracy5
January 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I love my iPad 3 with 4g GPS and wifi. They are pricy but very easy to use.

Terry
January 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I have an ipad and just love it. However, knowing the OP is a photographer, I would caution that managing photos on an ipad is a bit clunky. Some photographers prefer Android devices which I understand allow file management.

Terry

Tom
January 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Was hoping for something less expensive than an ipad. anyone using an android device?

Chris
January 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I'm a long time Apple guy and my son's an Android guy who encouraged me to use Android instead so I was surprised when he told me he bought an iPad. Turns out he's gone through 3 devices in the time I've had my iPad. I have no idea if the failure rate is common or not though. Depending on what you want to do with it an old iPad 1 can be found pretty cheap. I'm assuming it's for GPS and not photo processing which isn't a practical tablet use regardless of the mfg.

blacklabel
January 27th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Was hoping for something less expensive than an ipad. anyone using an android device?

Look into a Nexus 7. Good size to have in the cab of a vehicle, very good specs, vanilla Android and inexpensive at $200. It has GPS and optional mobile data. I tether or download maps for offline use with Backcountry Navigator.

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

Tom
January 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Look into a Nexus 7. Good size to have in the cab of a vehicle, very good specs, vanilla Android and inexpensive at $200. It has GPS and optional mobile data. I tether or download maps for offline use with Backcountry Navigator.

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/Thanks Tim. Exactly the info I needed.:D

ctracy5
January 27th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Don't know who or if you have a wireless provider but I have verizon so I have only looked into their tablets and have heard great things about the Samsung Galaxy line and Motorola Xybords. They are quite a bit cheaper then the ipads.

If you don't care about using a cell network my brother has the Asus Transformer prime and loves it.

lemmy2010
January 27th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I've got the Samsung TAB2 / 10.1 - it's great! I agree with blacklabel - The Google Nexus 7 would be about the prefect size. 10" is to **** big for a GPS / map display. Finding a mount that will hold up to use off road is another story entirely ... the mounts I've had for my little GPS's were no match for fun times, and that 7" tablet is probably much heavier too.

Something like this one perhaps:
http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page.php?tabletmake=Google&tabletmodel=Google+Nexus+7&skuno=93345

GaryG
January 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Ditto on what blacklabel posted, my next tablet will be a nexus. That said, only issue I have with my galaxy is i dropped it onto my concrete driveway and it landed on a corner causing a small spiderweb set of cracks. Hoping the dust of wheeling doesnt hurt it. Been using it this way for bout a month now and no issues. Backcountry navigator with accuterra maps are the bomb.

Chris
January 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I have to say that I wish Backcountry navigator was available for non-android devices. I've seen it and it's pretty impressive.

Max
January 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I was offered a wifi iPad, but that model doesn't have GPS correct? So there's no use for it on a trail since you can't see where you are unless you use it like paper map.

Ideas?

blacklabel
January 28th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I have to say that I wish Backcountry navigator was available for non-android devices. I've seen it and it's pretty impressive.

It's great being able to select an area and download the maps for it. My only complaint is that it, along with GPS and having my screen on destroys the battery in my phone. I really need to get a tablet.

Jim
January 28th, 2013, 07:06 PM
My only complaint is that it, along with GPS and having my screen on destroys the battery in my phone. I really need to get a tablet.

See if you can turn off the cell transceiver (cell capability). when you're out of range it chews through battery. So, having GPS on (a batt hog) and an out of range cell radio - batt life is terrible. 0.02

blacklabel
January 28th, 2013, 07:08 PM
See if you can turn off the cell transceiver (cell capability). when you're out of range it chews through battery. So, having GPS on (a batt hog) and an out of range cell radio - batt life is terrible. 0.02

Hey, don't kill my excuse to get a tablet. :D

Chris
January 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I was offered a wifi iPad, but that model doesn't have GPS correct? So there's no use for it on a trail since you can't see where you are unless you use it like paper map.

Ideas?

It has GPS capabilities by triangulation while the 3G version has Assisted GPS. Basically you download the trails before leaving home and you're fine Max.

Chris
January 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM
You guys know about inverters, right? :lmao:

I leave mine plugged in all the time...

blacklabel
January 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM
The problem that I run into is even when plugged in, if I'm using my phone with GPS, screen on, etc. my battery life decreases. That's with a cell signal and plugged into a 120 wall outlet.

Chris
January 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Time for a tablet!

Tom
January 28th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Now I just have to convince the wife she really wants the kindle she bought me.

Backcountryislife
January 28th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Acer A200.

Cheapest 10" I can find with GPS. Works great in the Jeep. I use everytrail pro, with all the funtreks trail guides downloaded on it. Very happy with it, and it cost me under $200 with the newest android as of 6 months ago.

Max
January 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
It has GPS capabilities by triangulation while the 3G version has Assisted GPS. Basically you download the trails before leaving home and you're fine Max.

I looked into it a little more. I'm directing this at you Chris since you already have this setup. I read you can buy an external "dongle" or a bluetooth receiver that will give a Wifi iPad GPS capabilities. Some units will only work for jailbroken iPads too.

What mount do you use for your 4Runner and how do you plug it in?

Thanks!

Chris
January 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I've heard that too Max but since I have a 3G version haven't lookedinto it. The mounting system I use is very sophisticated: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17018-My-Cutting-Edge-Design-iPad-Mount

The 4Runner has a 115v plug so I just use that. Not much help, sorry.

Max
January 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah I remember seeing your bungee cord. Do you remember who has the stainless steel or aluminum cradle?

I see that you can use external GPS receivers from Garmin, Bad Elf, and Dual for the iPad natively.

Chris
January 29th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I think that was ColoDisco

BlackRubi
February 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM
I use my phone, but that may not be an option in this case. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Samsung dubbed it a "phablet". It has a 5.5" screen 4G and every possible app that I could need for backcountry stuff including topo maps and GPS. It also has a quad-core processor and 2 gigs of RAM, so it has no issue handling multiple programs.

Rick
February 21st, 2013, 05:55 PM
Do you remember who has the stainless steel or aluminum cradle?It was the guy with a red Jeep in Littleton. I dont believe he is on the forum anymore

Rick
February 21st, 2013, 05:57 PM
He left when a few members were going away last year

Rick
February 21st, 2013, 06:31 PM
It was the guy with a red Jeep in Littleton. I dont believe he is on the forum anymoreStephen was his name. http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?12348-JK-Jeep-Rubicon-unlimited-build-aka-Mall-Krawler/page3

blacklabel
February 21st, 2013, 07:41 PM
I use my phone, but that may not be an option in this case. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Samsung dubbed it a "phablet". It has a 5.5" screen 4G and every possible app that I could need for backcountry stuff including topo maps and GPS. It also has a quad-core processor and 2 gigs of RAM, so it has no issue handling multiple programs.

I want a Note II bad but I'm on unlimited data with Verizon and don't want to lose it so I'm having to wait until used prices come down before I pick one up.