PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Feb 3

xaza
January 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
My brother and I are looking to get out this weekend and hit something with a bit of snow. Thinking Central City area. Is there much snow that way? Got some 33s shoved under my truck so not looking to do much flexing, if I can stop myself anyway. Throwing a feeler out there, if there is some interest I'll post it as a run. Got other trail ideas post em up, not looking to go too far, still not sure the condition of my wobbles.

Here's some pics of our last trip there, come to think of it...was last time we used a hi-lift as a winch :lmao:

Chris
January 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Central City area sounds good Cliff. I just installed a switch to turn some of my "nanny" controls and I'd like to see what kind of difference it makes (or not) so I'll be watching this.

glacierpaul
January 31st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Central City should be fine, up my way we have had quite a bit of wind and blowing snow, but I bet most things are still fairly passable. There is a post on CO4x4 about a possible run this way. I am wanting to get out on maybe Sat, but more likely Sunday for Yankee, Cumberland and surrounding stuff in the Rubicon, even was wanting to see how far over to Apex/Mammoth the trail goes.

ExplorerTom
January 31st, 2013, 11:37 AM
I'm heading up a group going down to some trails outside of Woodland Park on Saturday.

xaza
January 31st, 2013, 06:10 PM
I am up for some exploring Paul. My brother and I have been all over those hills around Central City and if there is one we haven't been on you're the one to show us! First time playing in the snow with gears and lockers, wish I had my 31s (much more tread) but hopefully I will get better than 7 mpg with the 33s :lmao:. "Nanny controls" ?

xaza
January 31st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I'm heading up a group going down to some trails outside of Woodland Park on Saturday.

You should post up a thread for a run down south. Seems to me we don't have many runs down there and some great members who live there, might be some interest. Hitting the Gulches?

glacierpaul
February 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Still snowing and windy, supposed to get another 2" today. I think we have gotten around 6+", the wind makes it hard to accumulate evenly. After plowing this morning, I may take a quick run up to Yankee again and see how the drifts are looking on the East side of Yankee. I am still thinking on doing a Sunday run.

xaza
February 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Which side do you want to start Paul? I normally go in through Central City and pop out Fall River Rd...if we can make it. Keep on snowing, getting close to enough for some fun! :steer:

Chris
February 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM
Just noticed your "nanny control" question Cliff. My truck has all sorts of computer controlled features running interference between me and the motor. One example: When it senses wheel spin it'll cut power to it to help me maintain control. While this is great when I'm slipping on the freeway it's not so good wheeling in the snow.

I don't need a "nanny" helping me control my truck.

Jackie
February 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Mine has that too, Chris until I put in 4-low or disconnect the sway bar. Then the "nanny" goes home.:lmao:

Jackie
February 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
Pickle gulch might be a fun one to consider. I have no idea what the snow conditions are but... http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=47

It's a fun trail in summer. That's all I know!

Chris
February 1st, 2013, 08:31 PM
Mine has that too, Chris until I put in 4-low or disconnect the sway bar. Then the "nanny" goes home.:lmao:

Not the case with mine Jackie, it should be but it's not. Thank goodness for people smarter than myself!

xaza
February 2nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
I am leaning toward entering Bald Mtn Rd and working toward Miners Gulch and see how it goes for getting to Mammoth. ? Gas station entering Central City is a good meeting spot for us Denver folks, is there a better meeting spot closer to the trail that would work for you Paul?

glacierpaul
February 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
My plan is either to head over to C.C. from my side or go Bald Mtn. to meet up with you. My dilema, do I wheel over to you then double back, or take the easy route over and do the route from C.C.(man it sucks having these decisions to make:)) I am thinking to make sure I meet up in time I better take the easy route over to meet you guy's, that way we can get stuck together :). The wind has drifted the snow like mad this week, so I am expecting the trail to be way more challenging than when I posted my recon trip. The rising sun club (posts on CO4X4 too)ran it last weekend and have pics of their venture. On a side, if we start from C.C. the route is definitely more challenging than running it from my side back over to C.C., uphill vs. downhill. If you guy's have a preference, I'll leave that to you guy's as I am up for meeting where ever.

Colin
February 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
A group of my friends and I ( the Colorado School of Mines4x4 club) is planning on running it from the C.C. side, If we all want to meetup that would be fun:D.
We are meeting on the Mines Campus at 8:30 (the D lot http://inside.mines.edu/UserFiles/File/facilities/CSM%20PARKING%20MAP_101112.pdf (http://inside.mines.edu/UserFiles/File/facilities/CSM%20PARKING%20MAP_101112.pdf))and we will be at the dirt parking lot by all the cemeteries on the C.C. sideand ready to wheel around 9:30.

glacierpaul
February 2nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
I will be at the cemeteries around 9ish. Should be a fun day!

xaza
February 2nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
I prefer the uphill route as well. 9:30 at cemetaries sounds good to me. How many trucks in your group Colin? Which route do you guys have planned? CB channel 4 sound good? Getting excited! It's been just over a year since my last trip here, and over 2 months since getting out anywhere

Colin
February 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
At least 4 with me, and channel 4 sounds good, also we dont have route completely planned out.

xaza
February 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
ok going to post it as a run.

Rick
February 2nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
I'm comin!!!! Il be up at the cemetary around 9ish

Rick
February 2nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
my cb is broke

Rick
February 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
CO rd 3 and Columbine Campground Rd at 9:00 am / on trail by 9:30???? is that the cemetery????

glacierpaul
February 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Rick, I do not have my cb set up yet, and yes where you mention is it. You are basically on the trail once you head toward Columbine Campground off CO 3. You will see me for sure, I plan on heading up there early(before 9) and cruise thru the upper cemetary real quick. Cool that you are coming! I made me 2 sets of chains today to fit the 32" tires and got all my gear loaded. Excited for sure!!

xaza
February 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
I talked to Rick, he is meeting us at gas station off 119 before Central City. We will meet the rest of you at the cemetaries.

Chris
February 2nd, 2013, 09:01 PM
Are you talking about the cemeteries above Central City, I'm confused.

xaza
February 2nd, 2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah right where there are three cemeteries all together. Catholic Cemetery, city cemetery and Independent Order of Oddfellows Cemetery. Right as you turn off main road for Yankee Hill trail on trail damage
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php?lat=39.8143900000&lng=105.5538500000
If you want you could meet with us at gas station off hwy 119

xaza
February 3rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Heading out, Chris if you can make it you can call me, my number is on rescue list

Rick
February 3rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
leavin in 5min.

Chris
February 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks but I'm not going to be able to make it.

xaza
February 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM
I made it home

glacierpaul
February 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Got home about 15 minutes ago. OMG what a day!! more to come tomorrow. Glad we all got out safe!

ExplorerTom
February 4th, 2013, 06:09 AM
The guy that lives in that area got home around 3am?!?!? Can't wait to hear the story for this trip!

Rick
February 4th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Can't wait to hear the story for this trip!A LOT OF DEEP SNOW!!!!!

Rick
February 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM
It was quite the adventure. Started at Yankee Hill then headed over to I believe Mammoth Gulch?Thats where it all begins.Got going down that road around 2:30 w/ really no issues until it was to late to turn around(downhill and in the trees) One section took us almost two hours to get up and then darkness. tried winching up another rd to get out but some spots were 4"deep. ended up turning around after caving in my whole passenger side doing it. One rig left on the trail w/ 2 blown tires. got off the trail around 1230 or 1 am.More to come Im sure w/ pics. Damage= caved in passenger side, broken mirrors,broken glass on driver side, broken tail light,ARB hose melted so will be re locating that. Just found parts on Craigslist for reasonable cost.

Rick
February 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Thanks but I'm not going to be able to make it.Wise man!!!!!

Tom
February 4th, 2013, 08:35 AM
OMG. I thinking about joining you. Glad I didn't.

Jim
February 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
:eek:

Wait'n for more details and photos - but it seems photos might not have been captured.

ctracy5
February 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear everyone got home alright!!

glacierpaul
February 4th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Posting the start of the trip report.

Rick
February 4th, 2013, 05:59 PM
almost have it all fixed total cost 110 bucks, tomorrow some bondo, primer life is good!!!!