PDA

View Full Version : Brakes!

Brad
February 22nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Maybe just a reminder but I was working on my Disco and found both front calipers leaking from the piston seal. :eek:

Everyone check your brakes regularly. $300 in parts later I will have refreshed calipers and high performance rotors and pads. Put a delay in my bumper toys but at least I will be able to stop! :thumb:

ExplorerTom
February 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Remember to torque those caliper attach bolts too.

While on a Red Cone trip, one of the rigs in our group locked up the front wheels on that gravel road in from the highway. He had changed rotors the day or so before and didn't tighten those bolts. The bolts fell out and the caliper was wedging itself between the wheel and the rotor. A sheriff stopped by to make sure everything was good. We decided to leave him there on the road, the rest of the group would run Red Cone and then come back for him and get him on a trailer. After the sheriff left, he somehow found both bolts laying on the dirt road (I know- how unreal is that?!?!?!) as he drove back out to the highway. He returned the bolts to the driver who was walking back to the highway to get cell phone signal. The bolts were re-installed and he met us at the saddle area just after the steep section on Red Cone. So instead of heading back to 285, we went over to Montezuma/Keystone.

Brad
February 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Yes! Very good point Tom. I have never left any loose but always double check your bolts when you are done.

Funrover
February 25th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Phew, glad you caught that! The ol DI should stop much better now!

Patrolman
February 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
On some vehicles you can actually buy a new seal that fits the caliper piston. Much cheaper if the caliper is still in good shape. I have had good luck in the past.

Brad
February 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM
The reman calipers are only $60 each after the core charge, and since I hate doing caliper rebuilds I just bought replacements. :thumb:

Patrolman
February 25th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah, you can't complain about that price!

The StRanger
February 25th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Yup. There the same stuff as Tires & boot
If tires wear out & boot, Belts need replaced
So do the caliper boot & seals

Clickpopboom
February 27th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Anytime you're into the brakes remember to put an ample amount of high pressure grease on the caliper slides. Seized/seizing slides due to lack of grease is one of the most common causes for brake failure/premature wear.

Even if your pads are "lifetime" it's a good idea to lube the caliper slides once a year, and to check the dustboots on them each time you do it. If the rubber boots aren't soft and supple, it's time to replace them before they crack and allow contaminants into the grease.

ExplorerTom
February 27th, 2013, 03:22 PM
^^Great advice. I had to regrease the slide pins on my Protege yearly. If not, the rears would lock up to the point where on snow they would just drag.

Brad
February 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I agree! I use silglyde:

http://www.amazon.com/SILGLYDE-LUBE-COMPOUND-8-OZ/dp/B000KXLR5E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Clickpopboom
February 27th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I agree! I use silglyde:

http://www.amazon.com/SILGLYDE-LUBE-COMPOUND-8-OZ/dp/B000KXLR5E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

I haven't tried the silglyde, I've always stuck with the CRC- it has the fancy paintbrush built into the lid, which is nice because I hate the feel of that stuff on my hands.

Brad
February 27th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I haven't tried the silglyde, I've always stuck with the CRC- it has the fancy paintbrush built into the lid, which is nice because I hate the feel of that stuff on my hands.

Insert icky feel joke here! :D

i got the calipers today, just waiting on the EBC performance kit which should be here tomorrow or Friday:
http://www.roverparts.com/product/img/Icn/9983EBC.jpg

:thumb: