PDA

View Full Version : Snapped wheel hob or spindle

llamabox
March 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I felt a snap and when I parked it I see the rear drivers side wheel is sitting cockeyed. Having just moved here we are in a hotel and don't know who to call. If I was at home with a garage/driveway I would take the weekend to try and fix it before taking it to a shop Monday as a last resort. All I have is a bottle jack and a few hand tools in the truck. Everything else is in storage. Anybody got any ideas? I'm at 25 and Arapahoe Rd.

Patrolman
March 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
I assume this is for the Rodeo? I think the rear axle shafts are pretty easy to replace since they are a removeable 3rd if I remember right. They bolt onto the flange at the end of the axle instead of having a c-clip. There are other guys on here who are Isuzu experts.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
That sucks Jason! Do you have time to try and fix it if you have tools? I'd be happy to bring the tools you need and lend a hand tomorrow (Sunday) but I'm not sure how much help I could provide. Would the hotel pitch a fit with you working on it there?

llamabox
March 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Yea, I have time. Called my foreman and told him I might not make it monday if it has to go in the shop. But I haven't asked the hotel if it is ok or not. I'll get right on that.

Hypoid
March 2nd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Find out what the problem is. After that, we can search the local junkyards from home, and go to the ones that look promising.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Good idea Mike! :thumb:

I'm available Monday too Jason, I'll check back later...

llamabox
March 2nd, 2013, 04:50 PM
Ok so I went out to back it into another spot that was more level so I could jack it up, take the wheel off and see what seems wrong. I got about 2ft before it snapped clean off. It not sits on the ground.
And the office is being very understanding. They said it would be fine to have someone come help me get it fixed.

Hypoid
March 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
DANG!!!!!!!!!!! You are lucky to have parked with the wheel still on the truck!

The N. Denver U-pull lists 19 Rodeos, 12 are '92 to '94.

Do you have a repair manual for it?

Jackie
March 2nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
Is this your only vehicle, Jason or do you have another mode of transportation?

llamabox
March 2nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
I do have the Haynes manual for it. And yes this is our only transportation.
We just got to Denver 2 weeks ago. I started work last week, my woman starts this coming Thurs and we are supposed to be moving into a house in a few days as well. If anybody is available tomorrow I'll supply lunch/dinner and beers.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm guessing you need to start at the junkyard then to your truck. Do you have an idea of what tools you'll need?

I can help tomorrow until about 3 and Monday until about 1.

Where are these trucks you mentioned Mike? Address?

Patrolman
March 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah, the axle shaft sheared off at the hub. That is a bummer and you are really lucky! Hope everything gets fixed. Just buy a complete axleshaft from the yard.

llamabox
March 2nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
The only tools I have are misc sockets, pliers and such. I do remodeling for a living so I have 3 tool boxes/bags full of stuff that won't help with a car problem. I can always buy sockets, wrenches and such. Of course the repair manual is kinda generic for multiple models but it looks like for specialty tools I would need a slide hammer to pull the axle out of the housing. And a seal driver tool? to remove the seal from the bearing holder.

If it is the drive axle. From the pics above and what I can tell it looks like it is the brake drum. Like the lugs and all from the from plate on the drum just sheared off.

Hypoid
March 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
I gots permission! :princess: I should take her to breakfast before I run off.

Chris, I searched the N Denver U-Pull: http://www.upullandpay.com/denver/home

Jason, I charge blood, sweat, and tears. The more you put into your own project, the more likely I will be to help. I think You'll get off cheap. ;)

Patrolman told you right, just buy a complete assembly. Damage like this is only the start. Even if there is no other damage, there are shards of steel floating around inside that axle, destroying everything else that goes 'round. A complete axle will cost about $125, out the door.

I have tools, I have experience with replacing the entire assembly. I'll PM my cell number after I post.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
I don't have a slide hammer and I think a seal driver isn't necessary though these can be rented about anywhere. I have plenty of sockets, wrenches, etc but since I need to Toss them in a bag from my tool chest I'd prefer to narrow it down to the needed ones. I can wing it and hope to grab enough.

Hypoid
March 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Chris, a slide hammer won't do anything for a broken shaft.

If the budget is that low, I can bring a slide hammer, but, I strongly recommend replacing the entire unit.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
I'm slow at the keyboard Mike. We could meet at the yard, probably be best if I pick up Jason since you're a lot farther away than I am. What time would work to meet Mike?

Jason, I'm up I-25 in Aurora so not real far from you. We just need to work out the timing now.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
Chris, a slide hammer won't do anything for a broken shaft.

Doh! :lmao:

Thanks for wording that gently Mike.

Hypoid
March 2nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
I'm slow at the keyboard Mike. We could meet at the yard, probably be best if I pick up Jason since you're a lot farther away than I am. What time would work to meet Mike?

Jason, I'm up I-25 in Aurora so not real far from you. We just need to work out the timing now.Chris, that would be awesome! I would probably be available after 9:00 AM.

Patrolman
March 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
There are apparently 2 different model axles, GM or Dana, used in the Rodeos and at least 3 different ratios. Here is some info:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=38702

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 07:40 PM
Chris, that would be awesome! I would probably be available after 9:00 AM.

Should we meet at 9:30 Mike? Will that work for you Jason? It would mean me picking you up at 8:30.

Hypoid
March 2nd, 2013, 07:47 PM
I could make it that early.

Get some good pictures of the axle under Jason's truck. I think that if we can match the R&P ratio, and the track width, we'll be in good shape. :)

Jackie
March 2nd, 2013, 07:47 PM
Sounds like you guys (Chris & Mike) have this "rescue" covered! :thumb: Lot's of good karma to you both.

Chris has my # if you need a parts-runner or something, give me a call. I can offer up my van if cargo space is an issue.

Best of luck, Jason. You're in good hands with these guys!

llamabox
March 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
This is so great of you folks offering up help to a newcomer. Being new to town there is a lot of stress already so this really means so much. The sense of community out here is way better than what I found in the mid-west.

Chris the time's sound fine to me. I'll pm both of you my cell #.
Mike I agree about replacing the entire piece. If we are able to do so that will be the plan.

RidgeRunner
March 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Sounds like you guys have it covered. I'd come help but I need to spend some time with the fam.

Chris
March 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
I could make it that early.

Get some good pictures of the axle under Jason's truck. I think that if we can match the R&P ratio, and the track width, we'll be in good shape. :)

We'll see you there Mike, if we have to wait it's no big deal. Jason, can you get some photos?

I'll PM my phone Jason and see you at 8:30, PM your hotel too.

ctracy5
March 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
I love this group:thumb:!!!

Java
March 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
Chris & Mike, that is AWESOME!! :thumb:

Popsgarage
March 2nd, 2013, 08:20 PM
I've got to help some friends install some glass at their shop or I'd be there as well. Mike and Chris sound like they've got it handled and the folks here are good people. Mike if you need any tools I'll text you the door code for my garage. I've got the Snap-On battery powered impact sitting at the front of the garage. It'd make it a whole hell of a lot easier.

scout man
March 2nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Wish I could help too, but I have some fab I have to do tomorrow. That said I am only about 25 min away from you, so if you come up with a tool or something you need give me a call. Chris has my number.

Clickpopboom
March 2nd, 2013, 09:31 PM
I'm not too far away- off of Arapahoe and Parker. Unfortunately all of my tools are still back in Idaho, including the electric impact, axle nut sockets, etc. Let me know if you guys need any help.

The StRanger
March 2nd, 2013, 10:18 PM
If I could I would...
But Im Locked in to teach Church
Im locked in till bout 5...

Hypoid
March 3rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
It's gonna be a great day!!!!!!!!!!

llamabox
March 3rd, 2013, 07:33 AM
I know. It's getting close to 50 already.
I had a thought. Do one of you have a jack with wheels or some kind of dolly to move this off the incline?

Hypoid
March 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
I don't have anything I trust to move the vehicle. I do have a small floor jack, wheel chocks, and jack stands. I think we'll be OK.

EDIT: Headed out for breakfast. :)

Chris
March 3rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
We can level it with jacks. I better get off this and get my ass in gear. :thumb:

llamabox
March 3rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
New pics.

Chris
March 3rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
Update: I left Mike & Jason at 4 as they prepped Jason's truck for the new axle from the junk yard. Hoping everything goes smoothly for them and that when it's done they can share the rest of the story and the news of the upgrade. Thanks mike for going above and beyond and nice meeting you Jason!

Java
March 3rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
damn, that is some good breakage! what kind of axle is that?

ctracy5
March 3rd, 2013, 08:19 PM
on a 92 rodeo it should be a dana 44

llamabox
March 3rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
It was a GM, but now it's a Dana 44.
Everything went together great except 1 thing. Wrong type of E-brake. Quick drive around and it feels good and tight. I can't thank you guys enough. If you ever need me I'll be there in a heart beat.

scout man
March 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Nice work Mike and Chris! You would totally be co-members of the month this month, if such a thing still existed!!

Chris
March 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Good to hear Jason, what's the ebrake issue? Long day for you two!

Jason didn't mention he also has disc brakes now along with a Dana 44.

Jackie
March 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
Great work Mike and Chris. :smokin: Glad you're back on the road, Jason :thumb:.

llamabox
March 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
The e-brake from the one we pulled was in the center console. In my truck it is under the dash/steering wheel.

Chris
March 3rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Gotcha Jason, glad you and Mike got it wrapped up! Does this mean you'll head back for the console and ebrake handle?

The StRanger
March 3rd, 2013, 08:54 PM
But do'se it match at the backing plate !

The StRanger
March 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Im soooo glad this all came together

CS79bronco
March 3rd, 2013, 10:48 PM
Great job Mike & Chris. Glad you got it done.

ctracy5
March 4th, 2013, 07:13 AM
These dang isuzus every year and model have different everything lol. Glad to hear you got it up and running hope to see it getting dirty soon :thumb:

Rick
March 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Great job Mike & Chris. Glad you got it done.X2!!!! great group we have here

Chris
March 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Great job Mike & Chris.

I just want to be clear that Mike & Jason did all the work and deserve all the credit.

carpenle
March 4th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Great job Mike, Chris, and Jason! I am glad that you found the parts at the junk yard.

CS79bronco
March 4th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I just want to be clear that Mike & Jason did all the work and deserve all the credit.

OK, great job on the work, Mike & Jason! And thumbs up for Chris as "supervisor". lol

Patrolman
March 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Great job guys!

I bet the e-brake thing is just a matter of where the cables merge in the middle of the rig. You can probably leave the handle under the dash, and just replace the pair of cables that split to each side of the axle. Saves you from having to change out the entire setup.

I assume you confirmed the ratios too? What ratio did it end up having?

Chris
March 4th, 2013, 01:57 PM
It is and was 4:10 Jeff and you're probably right on the cables. I suspect Jason & Mike weren't in the mood to try ad puzzle that out in the dark.

Chris
March 4th, 2013, 02:04 PM
And thumbs up for Chris as "supervisor". lol

Pretty much right Charles! For those that don't know me I have resigned myself mostly to supervisor status rather than back surgery followed by surgery on both shoulders making me spend 2+ years sitting around doing nothing. :brody:

llamabox
March 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Well put a good 30 miles on it today and everything feels great. The whirring sound I had assumed were the roads here has gone. The brakes are nice and tight.
Many thanks again for all the help. I owe one definitely.

Chris
March 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM
No change in the slipping feeling Jason?

llamabox
March 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Nope. I'm pretty sure 1st is slipping.

Chris
March 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Bummer Jason, I was hoping...

Clickpopboom
March 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Nope. I'm pretty sure 1st is slipping.

Automatic trans right?

Patrolman
March 4th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Check the fluid level and condition, change or add if necessary. Worst case, you can try to adjust the bands on the tranny. Steve probably has more auto tranny experience than anyone else on the site. Maybe he can chime in.

scout man
March 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Steve who? I dont know what your talking about, I never touch transmissions. :redface::bang:

Yea, I agree with Jeff at this point. Start with the easy stuff, check the fluid level. Too much or too little can cause a slip. After that I would start looking at bands needing adjustment. A quick internet search on the specific transmission will probably generate instructions. If not, a transmission manual for that type is worth its weight in gold. usually have a trouble shooting section too that will tell you exactly what the culprit could be for your specific symptoms.

Rick
March 4th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Check the fluid level and conditionX3!

Hypoid
March 5th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Yup, the tranny slips.

It's been awhile since I worked on a car from the rust belt. Most of the smaller bolts snapped right off, we left the shocks attached to the bottom plates after rounding off the first nut. We got just enough done to get to work the next day. :)

The parking brake cables were not the only variable I overlooked; my heart sank when Jason said the driveshaft was too long. That turned out to be the slip shaft needing to be pushed back in, but still, I should have checked on the pinion length to see if it was different.

Because I like pictures, you can see my deeeeee-lux patch over the hole from the drain shop. :D It turns out the cover also, is unique. I couldn't just slap on an extra I have sitting around.

Fordguy77
March 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Glad to see you guys got it all fixed, and that the helping hands still exist out there in our community!

Popsgarage
March 5th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Glad to see you guys got it all fixed, and that the helping hands still exist out there in our community!

Amen to that Chris!

llamabox
March 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I did notice one issue today. Now my speedo registers 5mph slower than my GPS says. It was pretty much right on before.

Rob
March 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Nice work, guys. :thumb:

Chris? Supervising? How odd. :lmao:

Hypoid
March 16th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I finally got around to pulling the cover off the 10-bolt. There are a lot of sparkles in the gear oil, the spiders gears have noticeable play from side to side when you turn the pinion, a lot of shavings on the magnet stuck to the cover. I'd say it had a good life. :)

I also counted the gear teeth: 9 teeth on the pinion, divided into the 41 teeth on the ring gear=4.56 gears. Oops... I guess it's a good thing that 4-wheel drive does not work.

On to the pictures.