PDA

View Full Version : Steering components - Brands/etc

ctracy5
March 4th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I got a call from the shop doing the alignment and they informed me that my trooper had some loss steering components (I a 23 or so year old vehicle with 160,000 on go figure) so they wanted to hold off on doing it until I came in and and talk to them. Basically they said I need everything, idler arm, center link, and all four ball joints.

Keep in mind I am getting the alignment now and replacing this parts when cash allows, I am just getting ideas on what I should really get. This shop uses and obviously recommends Napa parts, 12 month 12,000 mile warranty but rather pricey. I was shopping online and found Moog and several other brands for a lot cheaper.

He said that moog has been going down hill over the last 5 or so years, open to suggestions and opinions.

xaza
March 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM
the moog tie rods that came with my Rustys steering lasted only a couple months and few hundred miles. I was dealing with a death wobble issue though, so that'll wear down parts quick.

Chris
March 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Sounds like a good shop, many would just align it and take your money w/o saying a thing. You'd be wasting hard-earned money if you had them align it with bad parts Chris. I'd say buy the parts as you can afford them, put them on yourself (not real hard but may be a b!tch to free the old rusty parts) then have it aligned. Don't buy cheap (Moog) since that'd mean doing it all over again wasting more money. Just my 2¢!

ctracy5
March 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I need the alignment though you can look at the tires and visible notice they are leaning to the outside like \ /, He was saying if it was gonna be a while before I get he parts, and it most likely will be, that they can get it pretty close. I realize that it will not be prefect but it will be better then what it is now and Jeremy at the shop agreed. He was pretty honest and said the parts really weren't that bad and was more for my info then to try and scare me into buying more parts.

I really like the shop and plan on doing business with them again as things come up. Little pitch John's 4x4 (http://www.johns4x4.com/)

Just looking at Napa and they list 3 different center links for this guys and of course mine is the the $296 one not the $126 one, but the ball joints are actually a good price $48 for the uppers and about $90 for the lowers not to far off what I was seeing everywhere else online, Better then the $399 from Indy4x for ball joints. Plus the Idler arm is about $72 so again not to bad. Hopefully something that can happen later this year. :thumb:

But again if anyone has had good, or bad, luck with any brands of steering component let me know.

Thanks guys.

Java
March 4th, 2013, 07:05 PM
can't go wrong with NAPA. Carquest is good too. IMO you can all of that yourself, shouldn't be any harder than your lift, and all of that should be inthe Chilton manual. If you need hands / tools you're on the right forum...

CS79bronco
March 4th, 2013, 08:04 PM
You might check rockauto.com & see what brands they carry. They should be noticeably less than the local parts stores even with shipping.