PDA

View Full Version : The Jeep is gone, but I'm not going anywhere.

Jeremy
March 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM
After spending a lot of time going over my budget and bills looking for a better solution my JKUR was traded in last week for something with significantly lower payments and much better gas mileage. (A Jetta GLI, for those interested.) The cost wasn't an issue living in Texas but with state income tax here, plus a new house, it just left me with less cash at the end of the month than I was comfortable with.

It was a tough decision, as I've only had it for a year and really loved it, but at this point it was the right decision. Luckily it was still worth significantly more than I owed on it. Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to get back into a Jeep again, though I may go for something older that I don't have to worry about breaking.

The Jeep may be gone, but I still have my Subaru Outback. While obviously not up for rock crawling, it does pretty well at pretty decent speed on the rougher "dirt roads" we have here, so I won't be completely pavement-bound. I recall seeing a few other Subaru owners around here, so does anyone ever do any Subaru-oriented (rally-style perhaps?) runs?

carpenle
March 5th, 2013, 02:49 PM
That is too bad! I understand you have to do what you have to do.

Patrolman
March 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Sounds like you probably made the right decision, as tough as it is. And if you buy an older rig, you can build it up a bit they way you want. There is something to be said for not having a payment each month!

There are a fair number of folks here who have Subie's. Some folks have taken theirs on a couple easy runs, usually in winter. I used to wheel my Brat, but the Forester is just for commuting.

ExplorerTom
March 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM
And if you have an older rig, you don't care so much when it is covered in Colorado Pin Striping (tree branch scrapes) or you contact a tree or rock with sheet metal.

Car payments suck.

Hypoid
March 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM
And if you have an older rig, you don't care so much when it is covered in Colorado Pin Striping (tree branch scrapes) or you contact a tree or rock with sheet metal.

Car payments suck.Not to mention, you don't need full coverage for an ol' beater.

Jeremy
March 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I'm glad to see that my thought process is sound!

I heard today that CORE has a couple dirt race tracks that might be entertaining in a Subie. When they open up maybe I'll head out there.

Chris
March 6th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hey Jeremy, sorry to see the Jeep go but it sounds like your priorities are in order.

Search the forum for Kubo, he's a former member and Subaru Brat owner. His screen name was SubaCool. Also try Mitch? Someone else might recall his details better. Kubo took his Brat to CORE anda few other trail runs and was in to other race stuff.

ExplorerTom
March 6th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Does the SCCA still do RallyXs? I know the local chapter used to. Probably still do- I think I saw a dirty WRX with some kind of "rallycross" sticker across the windshield.

Java
March 6th, 2013, 10:39 PM
I have a forester (wife thinks it's hers) that we take on all sorts of things, I'd be into a subaru run. You can always rent a Jeep in Moab too! FWIW an XJ is the cheapest thing to buy/build, and also one of the best. you could probably put together a trail rig for what you put down on the rubicon.

carpenle
March 7th, 2013, 08:37 AM
My buddy just picked up a stock 96 XJ for $800. Cheep way to get into another jeep.