PDA

View Full Version : ROCK SLIDERS - REMEMBERING WHY

KFM1961
March 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I had previously fabricated rocksliders, then my friends talked me into wheeling that day rather than install the sliders.

By the end of the day, the driver's door wouldn't open and the right side door was not happy. After some modifications with some cutdown 2x4's, hydraulic jacks, and 2lb and 4lb swinging presses doors operated correctly. Then I installed the rock sliders!

I recommend installation of sliders prior to any wheeling. The damage can either be viewed as trophy marks or an all-around error in judgement (my preference).

Damage came from various locations on the Wheeler Lake Trail.

BTW - Removal of mud flaps and plastic trim was automatic during the rock sliding process.

carpenle
March 6th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Ouch! :steer: I need to get my sliders installed, this gives me a reason to bump it up to the top of my list.

Chris
March 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Sorry to see the damage Kevin but you may have just created the "go-to" thread for everyone asking what their first mod should be!

ExplorerTom
March 6th, 2013, 01:43 PM
It was one of the first real off-road mods I did. The first was a body lift. The sliders were then custom built to match the new body height.

I haven't "cashed" mine in yet- I keep hitting other things.

Jackie
March 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
X 2 to sliders. I have a tendency to "fall off rocks-n-stuff". Skids too. (Or I might have lost my oil pan on more than a few occasions). I'm such a rookie!:p

Brad
March 6th, 2013, 07:28 PM
It was my second mod after a good set of MT's. I damaged my door after installing the sliders with a loose tree trunk on TOTW.

Metalhed
March 6th, 2013, 08:21 PM
The rock in the middle of the creek on Jenny Creek cost me $500
Sliders were next after that

Shane
March 6th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Looks like that is next on my list for sure.

The StRanger
March 6th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Still have my OEM "" running boards ''
After a weekend at C.O.R.E. all my buds called them
Redneck sliders. But my doors still work ...

Shane
March 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM
I was looking around for some for the jeep and they want a lot for them in my opinion. Now this is true that it would be cheaper to buy the sliders verses body repairs. May be I will try and fab up my own... need to buy a welder first though.

ExplorerTom
March 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Doubt I could get body work done for $325 (what I paid for my sliders- custom built)

The StRanger
March 6th, 2013, 10:11 PM
K&K Steel with a good welder.
Done deal !

carpenle
March 7th, 2013, 08:30 AM
K&K is great, that is where my sliders and rear bumper on the CJ came from.

Shane
March 7th, 2013, 09:05 AM
K&K is great, that is where my sliders and rear bumper on the CJ came from.
Is it the steel place in Commerce City? or was it the fabrication in Englewood? I found a couple of K&K.

carpenle
March 7th, 2013, 09:07 AM
http://www.kksurplus.com/

carpenle
March 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM
K&K Surplus has used steel at I believe $.50 a lbs. You have to dig through their yard, but it is amazing what you can find. They also have new stock, but you pay more for that.

The StRanger
March 7th, 2013, 09:52 PM
K&K Surplus has used steel at I believe $.50 a lbs. You have to dig through their yard, but it is amazing what you can find. They also have new stock, but you pay more for that.

Got a good stack of stuff from there
I like takin a sat morm and just go look around
I never come home emptyhanded
My wife hates that place !!!

Shane
March 8th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I will check it out. I am off next Tuesday I will try and stop by there while the kids are in school and see what they have.

carpenle
March 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM
They are open for a half a day on Sat. That is when I usually go down. I needed a small piece of angle iron, so I went to ACE and they wanted over $15, at K&K cost me $2.5. When I am looking at fabing any project, K & K is the first place I start.

WDoG
March 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Wheeler Lake is a fun trail! Sadly my Rodeo suffered some of the same damage on it. No rock guards on my Rodeo and it did some damage to my passenger door. Luckily that door was already damaged and it just added to some rock rash to it. I would highly recommend sliders on a trail like wheeler lake.

http://imageshack.us/a/img267/6676/img1873ue.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img406/2004/img1872e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img254/108/img1875g.jpg

Here is also why rock sliders is a good idea on wheeler.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/355/p1010440k.jpg

ExplorerTom
March 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I haven't done Wheeler, but it looks serious!

KFM1961
March 9th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Wheeler Lake is a fun trail! Sadly my Rodeo suffered some of the same damage on it. No rock guards on my Rodeo and it did some damage to my passenger door. Luckily that door was already damaged and it just added to some rock rash to it. I would highly recommend sliders on a trail like wheeler lake.

LOL ... I know that sound!

KFM1961
March 9th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I was looking around for some for the jeep and they want a lot for them in my opinion. Now this is true that it would be cheaper to buy the sliders verses body repairs. May be I will try and fab up my own... need to buy a welder first though.

I picked up a low-budget mig welder (120v) for $40.00 from craigslist. The steel was from DENCOL Supply for around $60, I just sent them a .pdf of the sizes I required. Picked up the pieces, welded them together. Took about 4 hours. This type of project is so much easier with a mig welder. I use my Tig if I want pretty welds, but I dont think the rocks really care!

The sliders are welded to plates that are then welded to the frame. This spreads out the pressure reducing the risk of kinking or bending of the frame rail.

Very easy project, just remember to either completely cap the tubes, or leave the ends open so stuff drains out.

PS: I RECOMMEND DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY WHEN YOU WELD ON YOUR VEHICLE ! (This may prevent you from needing to purchase a new computer(s) !)

Funrover
March 9th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I haven't done Wheeler, but it looks serious!

Wheeler is a blast!

And to the OP!! DO'H!! Lessons learned. Glad you have them on there now!

Andrew
March 9th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Wheeler Lake without sliders? You're nuts! ;)

Shane
March 10th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I haven't checked craigslist yet but will be buying a mig welder at some point will also need it for when I replace some panels on the 57. When I used to turn wrenches and do custom exhaust work I had something that I picked up from Snap On that you would connect to the battery terminals it was supposed to keep from frying a computer. I haven't seen it in a while I think I gave it to my dad after I quit wrenchin wonder if he still has it. I Have never tig welded before just gas and mig, is tig hard to do?

KFM1961
March 11th, 2013, 08:11 AM
I haven't checked craigslist yet but will be buying a mig welder at some point will also need it for when I replace some panels on the 57. When I used to turn wrenches and do custom exhaust work I had something that I picked up from Snap On that you would connect to the battery terminals it was supposed to keep from frying a computer. I haven't seen it in a while I think I gave it to my dad after I quit wrenchin wonder if he still has it. I Have never tig welded before just gas and mig, is tig hard to do?

Tig, Mig, Gas, all the methods share the same basic principle, using heat to melt metal. Control of the heating rate and shielding the weld from oxygen is where each method differs. Most people I know seem to be more proficient at one method over another. This is often due to which method they use most often. All methods can be used but usderstanding which is best for an application means understanding other things, including possible damage to other components or adjacent areas. I would recommend taking some welding lessons to completely understand what is happening when welding. Its more than just sticking metal parts together. A weld that appears good may actually weaken adjecent metal if not performed correctly.

On vehicles,(including aircraft), it is important to assure positive grounding to obtain good heat control (good welding result), and reduce possible damage to other components. Isolating a circuit (disconnectig the battery) provides additional protection. The device you refer to may have been simply something to provide additional grounding protection. I have never used anything like you have described.

I have watched some very talented individuals use MIG to repair panels. But again, understanding of heat control, heat transfer, metal expansion and contraction is very important in that type of project.

To answer your question, TIG can be as easy as other methods, but they all take practice. I prefer TIG because it is the method I used most often.

WOW, that was a REALLY long answer to a simple question! Sorry! LOL! :eek:

ExplorerTom
March 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The sliders are welded to plates that are then welded to the frame. This spreads out the pressure reducing the risk of kinking or bending of the frame rail.

I probably need to fix this on mine. Mine are welded to the frame via about a 1x4" tube (3 per side) with a 1" plate gusset on the top. Cutting them off will be a pain though.

KFM1961
March 11th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I probably need to fix this on mine. Mine are welded to the frame via about a 1x4" tube (3 per side) with a 1" plate gusset on the top. Cutting them off will be a pain though.

Maybe not necessary. The frame material on my Geo Tracker is so thin it made me feel better to install plates. Yes, cutting off stuff is a pain, but with a large diameter cut off wheel it becomes just quick, dirty work.

glacierpaul
March 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Wheeler check list: sliders, lockers, skid plates, good tires, good group of folks, check. Then the tip of my valve stem got ripped off my wheel on the way out:rolleyes: Edit: my avatar is from the notch.
Glad you got sliders now! Wheeler is a fun trail for sure, cannot wait to do it again this year!!

KFM1961
March 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Wheeler check list: sliders, lockers, skid plates, good tires, good group of folks, check. Then the tip of my valve stem got ripped off my wheel on the way out:rolleyes: Edit: my avatar is from the notch.
Glad you got sliders now! Wheeler is a fun trail for sure, cannot wait to do it again this year!!

Valve stem !?! That had to have been a WTF moment ! I'm going to try to Notch this summer.

Ed Gates
July 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I'm so glad I read this post is there thin gauge sheet metal in there ever?

Captain
August 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Yeah, K&K is where I got the stuff for mine, cool place. You should have a good idea of your plans in your head so that if they don't have exactly what you planned on available, you can change your design a little. Or just come back later and see if they've got what you need. I'm willing to bet you could get some help getting them welded up just by asking too - I'd help you out but don't have a welder!

The StRanger
August 2nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
As for now i still have my "running boards"
I kind of call them my red neck sliders
They have saved a lot of Body Damage !

WDoG
August 3rd, 2013, 06:33 AM
Here are some pictures of Squishee (Chase) at Wheeler Lake. PERFECT example of why you need protection. "Bowling Ball Hill" is a steep, wet, loose rock climb of fun-ness!

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/7703/p1010439l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/355/p1010440k.jpg

Squshiee1
August 3rd, 2013, 07:04 AM
Wow, i forgot how big that rock was. i think my sliders have literally saved me from HUNDREDS of door and rocker dings.

I hit my frame, sliders and skids like you wouldn't believe. Moab was like pick on the isuzu week. But nothing has come of the constant hitting and bending..... Yet. My frame is still straight, which is surprising considering I hit a rock in the BFE in moab doing 10mph. and nothing came of that, just a little dent in my bumper.

Max
August 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
You don't need rocker armor if you have enough clearance. Higher Lift, bigger tires.

Squshiee1
August 3rd, 2013, 08:13 PM
You don't need rocker armor if you have enough clearance. Higher Lift, bigger tires.

Which is exactly why i need it!

WDoG
August 4th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Sadly I wish I had the clearance not to need them.

xaza
August 4th, 2013, 07:31 AM
There is no such thing as enough clearance to not need them. The bigger lift and bigger tires means you'll drive on bigger rocks which you will eventually slip off of.