PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Testing Help

Tater
March 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ok; I admit to being the new guy but today I woke up with a goal of getting my Jeep registered in its new home of Colorado. I learned that I must get an emissions test performed. Thanks to the internet I found the closest one and went down to wait, and wait, and wait in line. When I made it to the front I was informed that my tires were "too big".

Short story long I have come to realize I need smaller rear wheels or I cant get an emissions test and therefore cant register my Jeep in CO. Do people with larger than 33" tires (the lady told me that was the largest size the dyno would handle) keep a spare set for this purpose OR is there another solution.

Thanks for any help -

Tater

Tom
March 7th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Not from what I've heard. Part of the reason I went with 33s. You are at the right place though. I've heard here of people who have an extra set loaning them for emissions testing. Why don't you post up exactly what you need, eg details of your jeep bolt pattern etc and see what comes up.

Chris
March 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM
What Tom said ^

Tater
March 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Thx for the input. I drive a 2009 4dr Wrangler Unlimited. I understand the pattern to be 5 x 5 1/2. I would be happy to pay (rent) the use of a set of rear tires to get over this hurdle if someone has them available.

- Tater

Jackie
March 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM
You'll probably find some loaner-rollers here. But I think a few of the tire stores also offer "low rent" or "loaner" tires just for this purpose. Just call around near you. I think Discount Tires does it.

Jim
March 7th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I have a set of 31's (standard jeep pattern).

I think their web site lists 34's and that they will only test larger than that if they were factory stock. Aftermarkets, we get to swap for a test.

Rick
March 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I would be happy to pay (rent) the use of a set of rear tires to get over this hurdle if someone has them available.Go to High Country 4x4 off Hampden & Santa Fe. They rent rollers for a fair price plus mention you are w/ Front Range 4x4 for a discount.

Chris
March 7th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Their website says something about measuring under 34" but they won't measure and go only by what they read on the sidewall. I argued with the manager who assured me they would change the web site. :blah:

Jim
March 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Their website says something about measuring under 34" but they won't measure and go only by what they read on the sidewall. I argued with the manager who assured me they would change the web site.

Yep. I read that too and at the place mentioned just letting air out... Oh, No No No, can't do that because it say's 35 right here.

EDIT: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?17741-Advice-on-emissions&p=213757#post213757

Cr33p3r
March 8th, 2013, 01:07 AM
I just did my emissions test today and it was funny I am at the end of the line of 8 cars and they moved the cars in front of me and brought the Ranger in and in under 4 minutes the testing was done and passed with flying colors. It was pretty cool that they wanted to get my truck in and out so quickly but I think it helped that 90% of the techs wanted to check it out and did so.

I have a set you can barrow on 5x5-1/2 bolt pattern the tires are 285x70x15s and there is a testing station about 4 miles from my house.

carpenle
March 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I know it does not help you, but I have a set that are 5x4.5 XJ pattern if anybody ever needs to borrow them.

GaryG
March 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Tater, I have a full set of 33" Duratracs sitting around that I can loan out. 5x5 bolt pattern they'll need to be spaced out, and I have the spacers as well. I'm in SW Lakewood, PM me, we'll see what we can work out.

MelloYello
March 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Big O tires rents rollers for $30. They take your off and put theirs on. They keep yours for collateral until you return.

Tater
March 9th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Wow, thanks to everyone for the info. I will reach out to those of you with loaners and see when you're available. Hope to see you all soon at an event. Thanks again.

Tom
March 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Wow, thanks to everyone for the info. I will reach out to those of you with loaners and see when you're available. Hope to see you all soon at an event. Thanks again.
told ya

Beefy
March 11th, 2013, 12:16 AM
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss177/BeefyBeefo/2c909a9d.jpg

Good times! Haha. Some of the looks I got that day were priceless.

Funrover
March 11th, 2013, 10:32 AM
You can always tell emissions day!! :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao:

Cr33p3r
March 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM
You can always tell emissions day!! :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao:

Yah you can!