PDA

View Full Version : Often forgotten

Funrover
March 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I do have a few pairs in my Rover at all times, however, I didn't always. Just a quick reminder/idea!

http://expeditionportal.com/expedition-gear/clothing/1990-work-winch-and-recovery-gloves.html

Chris
March 12th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Switch to synthetic cable. ;)

Shane
March 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I am sure that this could be a topic of discussion after I get my lift hopefully by the end of next week and after getting or fabin some sliders ( after reading carnage thread ) I am planning on getting a winch. Which will hold up better steel cable or synthetic?

Chris
March 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I'm sure steel will hold up much better. I rarely use my winch (knock on wood) but when I have with the synthetic it was so much nicer. No wire strands cutting/sticking my hands, extremely light to pull out, easy to connect, etc. I'm not sure if it's that easy to justify the cost but I sure am glad I did!

Rick
March 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Which will hold up better steel cable or synthetic?this will be an on going debate. I like cable due to the weight of my truck,thats just me,I do know synthetic is a lot lighter in weight and a lot easier to roll back in,keep it covered so the sun and elements dont shorten its life. If I had a jeep or something similar I would probably go synthetic. You will be getting responses on this Im sure.

Funrover
March 12th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Switch to synthetic cable. ;)

LOL!!! I use the gloves for other options more than winching. But I like the way you think!

Which will hold up better steel cable or synthetic?

Ah yes, the winch debate! While cable is great, sturdy and proven reliable I still go for Synthetic (When I get my own winch that is).
A few reasons:
1. Weight - The less I have to huck up hills, the better.
2. Safety - In the unfortunate circumstance that the line should break, the synthetic is less likely to cause bodily injury (yes I know to put a jacket, blanket, etc on a cable)
3. Friendly to hands by comparison.

That all said synthetic has a major drawback. Sand, mud etc gets into the fibers and can cause wear much faster than on cable.

Jim
March 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Plus UV degrades plastic/petroleum molecular strands. At JeepForum there's talk of synthetic having a recommended 10 year lifespan / replacement timeframe. Now factor "cost per year" for synth vs. steel.

Assuming I won't have a catastrophic failure with steel (where a human would be hurt), I'll stay with a well maintained steel setup.

4Runninfun
March 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I think your decision on which to go with should depend on your intended usage. Are you someone who likes to push the envelope frequently and uses your winch often while out wheeling? Or are you someone who see's it more as an insurance option?

For me, I have yet to use mine for a recovery. It's there just in case. And therefore I'm sticking with steel cable. It can stay on the reel for a long time without use and I don't have to worry about it. Unspool it every now and then spray some WD-40 and wind it back up. Done.

On the flip side for frequent use, lot's of on/off synthetic is the better way, in most cases.

Another consideration is do you often wheel in small groups, large groups or solo? If you wheel with groups, especially large groups where you may not be familiar with everyone synthetic is a huge piece of mind. Since in most cases if it breaks, it won't recoil and take someone out who may not be familiar with winch safety.

ExplorerTom
March 12th, 2013, 01:35 PM
2. Safety - In the unfortunate circumstance that the line should break, the synthetic is less likely to cause bodily injury (yes I know to put a jacket, blanket, etc on a cable)

Synthetic line is suppose to fall to the ground if it breaks.

Synthetic line also floats. But if you're utilizing that feature, you've screwed up BIG.

Shane
March 12th, 2013, 01:37 PM
it more as an insurance option
I am new to 4wheelin and I think it would be more the case of I would rather have one and not need than not have one and needing it. I am seeing about a 200.00 price difference between them so I guess it would also depend on the amount of money when I finally get to that point.

ExplorerTom
March 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Harbour Freight sells a line of "Bad Lands" winches. Like everything else in the store, they are cheap. But some guys over on the Explorerforum have tried them and except for some wiring issues right out of the box, they seem to perform.

Shane
March 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I was just looking at the HF models and they have similar specs as the RC model I was looking at. I think that I might check into the harbor freight one unless some one has had a bad experience with one.

Chris
March 12th, 2013, 03:51 PM
LOL!!! I use the gloves for other options more than winching. But I like the way you think!

I should have added that everyone still needs to carry gloves since winching isn't the only time they're needed.

Plus UV degrades plastic/petroleum molecular strands. At JeepForum there's talk of synthetic having a recommended 10 year lifespan / replacement timeframe. Now factor "cost per year" for synth vs. steel.

10 years sounds good to me Jim. Hell, I'll be thrilled if I'm wheeling in 10 years!

For me, I have yet to use mine for a recovery. It's there just in case.

Agreed, in my mind it's like the Hi-Lift, if you carry it you won't need it. At least that's what I hope.

We violate the cardinal rule and wheel alone pretty often so being well-eqipped is important. We only needed this winch once when we buried the 4Runner in mud. I have to say it was a treat not having to haul a heavy steel cable when in that kind of setting.

Rick
March 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I think it would be more the case of I would rather have one and not needLast 2 runs Ive needed it and really wasn't planning on it for the trails we went on

Brad
March 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I am thinking of adding this line, pricey but strong!

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=19180&cat=300&page=1

i have a set of leather gloves and a set of welding gloves in the rig. I also have a set of the brown mechanix gloves in my hike out bag.

4Runninfun
March 12th, 2013, 07:27 PM
We violate the cardinal rule and wheel alone pretty often so being well-eqipped is important.

We break that rule almost constantly. I think the last time I actually went with a group was '09 when FR4x4 did Illinois Gultch. So I agree with you being well equipped and prepared are important when going solo. And a winch is definitely a huge asset.

I will also say to those of you who are deciding between getting a winch or getting another piece of equipment for your truck, remember a good come-a-long will do almost everything a winch will do. It will be slower but a come-a-long is in expensive and can be tossed in the back of any 4x4, and even though I do have a winch now the come-a-long is still in the truck.

Shane
March 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
That is something that I have in the garage and did not even think about. Good point.

carpenle
March 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I have a 8274 on the CJ with 150 ft of steel cable, it has always worked when I needed it. I just purchased a smittybuilt winch with syn. line, but do not have it installed. I am interested to see the difference.

glacierpaul
March 15th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Last 2 runs Ive needed it and really wasn't planning on it for the trails we went on

Rick, I was the one who lugged your heavy steel cable through 3-4' of snow, I would have loved for it to have been synth, I could have ran thru the snow:lmao:

I have used both and am hooked on synth, I care less about price, I am a guy who works with his hands so no more pokies for me thanks, and the weight on long line pulls. I plan on using synth on my big Ford. Go to MasterPull's website they use synth in all kinds of applications. The price of synth will come down over time too. Safety First! The useage is the same as steel except the synth is rated 45% stronger than steel!
Edit: I still wear gloves when using synth too:)

Rick
March 15th, 2013, 09:54 AM
the synth is rated 45% stronger than steel!Did not know that!

Rick, I was the one who lugged your heavy steel cable through 3-4' of snow,And I thank you!

glacierpaul
March 15th, 2013, 09:59 AM
www.masterpull.com
Edit: 80% lighter and 30-60% stronger than steel!
Rick: I would do it all over again if needed!:)

Fordguy77
March 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM
www.masterpull.com (http://www.masterpull.com)
Edit: 80% lighter and 30-60% stronger than steel!
Rick: I would do it all over again if needed!:)
To add onto this, the synthetic line is rated higher at a smaller diameter, meaning instead of having say 3/8 steel at a 100' you can have more strength, and length ie 150' on a 5/16" diameter syn line.

Max
March 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
How does synthetic hold up when it gets wet, or freezes in the cold?

glacierpaul
March 16th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Been there, it does frost up, I have not had it frozen solid, just had to pull a little harder to unspool. The fibers still look fine after this scenerio. I have had this happen with my atv winch line when it was steel too. I still use my winch all year round pulling dead trees, my plows when stuck and such, have not had any problems. I have the warn Spydura synth rope on my Rubicon and my atv, love it.
Edit: I am ordering those covers for them to help protect the line from the elements.