PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Lost Friends Memorial Run

Bunyon & Babe
March 16th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Last year Annie and I led our first run . We named it " Lost Friends Memorial Run " . That name came about when I was thinking of run we could lead . As I went through some of my favorites I began to realize things like : " the last time we were on Glacier Ridge , Jim M. was with us ,,,,, the last time we were on Hancock, Dougie was with us ,,,, the last time we were on # 10 hill , we were in Pauli's rig ,,,, the last time we did the Browns / Breakneck loop we were with Butchie and we were taking Kurt's ashes up to a special place ,,, the last time I was up there , Steve was with me ,,,,,,,,"

One of those friends had to move away . All the others have passed away in the last few years . The more I thought about it the more I realized these mountains around here are full of memories of working , hunting , wheeling ,climbing , prospecting , hiking and camping with friends that have moved away or passed away .

As we said in our last years post for this run ,," perhaps you too have had a good friend move away ,or sadly , pass away... "

Now sadly we will be adding another friends name
to our list of "passed away " for this years run-- our friend and a friend to a whole lot of folks on this forum,, Pete Brody.

We would be honored if you would consider joining us.

This years run is posted up on the calender for Saturday July 20th 2013 . We will be doing the Swan Loop

Chris
March 16th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I'm penciling this in Jim, I can't plan that far in advance since we have a few road trips planned this summer but I like the idea. Much more to my liking than the other one posted for Pete.

Bunyon & Babe
March 16th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks Chris. I know you knew him much better than we did. I hope we get a chance to share some memories .

4Runninfun
March 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I'll be there if possible. Hard to commit this far in advance.

Brad
March 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Sounds good Jim! I cannot plan that far ahead myself but if I can I will be there! :thumb:

glacierpaul
March 18th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Nice to hear from you Jim!!! The planned date is Aidan's birthday weekend, I am sure rafting will be out of the question again this year :(. Hopefully we will do this with you and Annie! Hope you 2 are well! Give the kiddos a pat for us!

otisdog
March 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I will try to make it for sure - for Pete and I like the Swan trails.

BigE
March 18th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I would love to go to remember everyone but I have to work on Saturday. I will be there in spirit for all that have moved and or passed away. We all miss Pete and everyone else and I hope they all know I am there in spirit!!!!! Have a blast and I can't wait to see the pictures!!!! :thumb:

94ToyBear
April 9th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I'm sure I can make it. Ill now better in July.

The StRanger
April 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I'll try to make it. I lost a pal last fall

Bunyon & Babe
May 13th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Sam . It really sucks to lose a friend . Really sucks .

The StRanger
May 13th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Yup. And it was sudden
Waitin for him at work mon morn
Found out he passed on sun night...

Bunyon & Babe
May 14th, 2013, 12:11 AM
DAMN , that sounds very unexpected .

colozj93
May 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM
This run is marked on my calendar. I have lost a few this year and would love to do a run for for brody. I got the privlage to go on a hanful of trails with him a few years back.
Not to mention in memories of my dad who passed in December and way too young

Rick
May 14th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Not to mention in memories of my dad who passed in December and way too youngsorry for your loss.

glacierpaul
May 15th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Condolences Sam and Josh!

Chris
May 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks Chris. I know you knew him much better than we did. I hope we get a chance to share some memories .

Sorry, I won't be able to make this since I'll be in New Mexico.

Bunyon & Babe
May 16th, 2013, 11:49 PM
We hope you'll get to do some nice trails while you are down there . We'll do this run again next year too so maybe you can make it then !

colozj93
June 16th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to find good camping around this run with car access any good spots

otisdog
June 17th, 2013, 06:10 AM
I'm trying to find good camping around this run with car access any good spots

The only place I can think of nearby is the FS camground right at the top of Kenosha Pass. Jefferson is a few miles farther south. The east side of Georgia Pass is car accessible to the top. Might be some places along there.
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Kenosha_Pass_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72081&topTabIndex=Search
Jim

colozj93
June 17th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks. I will check it out. We have someone following us up to go camping with a BMW

Bunyon & Babe
June 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Ditto on the top of Kenosha , but also there is a nice Forrest Service CG (Aspen CG and Lodgepole CG) at the entrance to Jefferson Lake, County road 37 , just off County road 35 ,the road going toward Georgia Pass from the town of Jefferson . There also are some nice spots about 2 miles off Hyway 285 on County road 56 ( the first left after Kenosha Pass) *** Probably your best bet though is along County road 54 itself . That is the road that actually goes up to Georgia Pass . There are numerous , nice places along the road to camp and the road is passenger car accessible (although bumpy in spots) all the way to the top on the Park County side. Get there before the weekend crowds and you'll be able to get a spot next to one of the many creek crossings the road makes on the way up.

colozj93
June 29th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Most of the friends have 4x4 but a few have cars like BMW 3 series and a couple of Hondas maybe. are any large enough for multiple families or are they all smaller and multiple sites needed

Bunyon & Babe
July 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM
Good sized , ( FAMILY SIZE ) camping spots are along CR 54 in at least a few locations ( 2 separate spots ) on the way up to Georgia Pass by the creek crossings . Each location is big enough for at least 6 or more tents. Lots more sites along the road that are big enough for 1 to 4 tents . Like I posted earlier though , get there before the weekend crowds for the best pic of them !! Cr 56 has some big sites too but no creek. Sites off of CR 56 are big enough to host BIG events like Rendezvous and such ( up to 200 or more tipis and baker tents )

Shane
July 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Trying to get my sliders done before the run, does this run require them at some point? Thanks

otisdog
July 11th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Trying to get my sliders done before the run, does this run require them at some point? Thanks

#10 Hill is pretty rough but with some careful driving and spotting you should be ok. If I'm not mistaken we would be coming down it from Glacier Ridge. It is a short section of rough trail also known as SOB Hill. I've been up it but never down.
Jim

Shane
July 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
#10 Hill is pretty rough but with some careful driving and spotting you should be ok. If I'm not mistaken we would be coming down it from Glacier Ridge. It is a short section of rough trail also known as SOB Hill. I've been up it but never down.
Jim
Thanks for the info I was trying to find #10 hill on traildamage couldn't find it, now that I know it is also called SOB Hill. It looks like It would not be a bad idea to have them done by then.

The StRanger
July 11th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Another name for the run. Found out today I lost my 2nd cousin the personal demons
Very sad !!

Rick
July 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Found out today I lost my 2nd cousin the personal demons
Very sad !!:frown:

glacierpaul
July 12th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Sorry for your loss Sam! Been thru this myself with lost family members and friends :(

Bunyon & Babe
July 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Ditto on what otisdog says . #10 hill and one other real short spot coming down into the North Fork drainage are the only rough spots but a little careful maneuvering and you shouldn't have any issues . So sorry to hear of your loss Sam . It really sucks .

colozj93
July 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM
what is the exact meeting spot in Jefferson. my cb quit and I wont have one to radio when I get into town

Rick
July 19th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Start - 9:30 AM across from the Jefferson Country Store , Highway 285 , Jefferson ( South Park ) in Park County ( you really can't miss it, Jefferson is tiny,you blink and you'll pass it

Bunyon & Babe
July 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks to Rick :thumb: for answering . I need to turn this thing on more often :oops: ,,,,YES for the "Don't blink " . There is a good sized spot right across the street from the Jefferson Country Store to meet , and right next to that spot is the county's Road and Bridge Shop for that end of the county ... = big parking , plenty of room !! Jefferson Country Store serves up a pretty good breakfast for those showing up early and hungry !!!! Jefferson is TINY you will have no problem finding us . ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 9:30 AM ,,,,, See you all there ,,,,,,, Have a safe drive up,,,,,,,:2thumbup:

colozj93
July 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
awesome im leaving now to the campsite so no more computer. thanks for all the info as I found a good campsite got it reserved and now we are out the door. my a bunch of friend and cant wait to meet you all and make some more.

Rick
July 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
You all have a great time and be safe....Maybe next year I can make it:thumb: