PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Turn Signal Bulbs

Chris
March 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I have an aftermarket front bumper and have an ongoing issue with the turn signal bulbs exploding. :eek:

At least once a month a bulb will go out, when I pull the bulb it's not just burned out but it's shattered. It's happened on both sides and seems to be totally random. One bulb a month isn't a big deal and I'll re-wire the sockets, which is simply a couple connections, but I'm curious what's happening. If I run through water or wash it the left side will blow. I'm suspecting there's no venting too.

Adaa60
March 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM
HEy chris,
i had a similar issue with an older first gen rx-7 a few years ago. i had installed JDM marker lights and they kept blowing bulbs on me. not burning out but exploding them as well, everytime i washed it or drifted it they died. i took these two steps to solve the issue. First i wrapped the mounts for them with a few folds of electrical tape to add a little of shock resistance when i was drifting, it gets really really bumpy. then i ran my own ground wire straight to the frame close by. I also found a low amp resistor at radio shack that was perfect for the bulbs i was running and soldered it in to the power wire on each light. total time spent was about 20 min's and total cost was less than $9 i never blew anouther one

Patrolman
March 19th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Sounds like the water is getting on the hot bulb. Is the turn signal also the parking light? One option would be to convert to an LED. They don't burn hot and are more durable.

The StRanger
March 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Agreed with he water. Wet and hot makes for sad glass....
Find the leak, a little sealant, A LED bulb and youre good to go...

Popsgarage
March 20th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I agree with Jeff and Sam, Chris!

Chris
March 20th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Interesting, thanks everyone. Odd thing about the water is the bulb is quite protected with an overlapping lip that should keep water out. Jeff, it's the running light and turn signal.

ColoJeeper
March 20th, 2013, 08:36 AM
What's a turn signal? :lmao::rolleyes:

Chris
March 20th, 2013, 08:54 AM

One of those things Colorado drivers ignore more than red lights! :rolleyes:

The StRanger
March 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM

OMG, Are you one of those ?????

sunk
March 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM
The glass bulb is exploding?!! or is the filament burnt out?

Water on a high performance bulb is never good. You also need to watch out about touching the bulb with your fingers. The oil from your fingers stays on the bulb and heats up, after a little time, it will be the hot spot on the bulb and blow out.

If the filament is blowing out you need to check your grounds and your B+ source. A bad ground may work for a little then the resistance in the circuit will build and cause the filament to act like a fuse able link.

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
These are the old 1157's Adam, never thought of them as high performance. There's not much of the bulb left after it blows. It's hard for me to believe that water is getting into the bulb, makes me wonder of water's shorting something in the wiring.

I forgot to mention that other 4Runners with the same bumper have the same issue.

sunk
March 21st, 2013, 01:44 PM
Bring it by this weekend we could look at all of the wiring...

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the offer Adam!

This weekend is busy, I'll get back to you on another possible date soon.

sunk
March 21st, 2013, 01:47 PM
Is the ground for the lights part of the light case? If it was, the ground would be provided by the case and if it is mounted to your fancy bumper, it may not have a good enough ground. I dont see how that would blow out the entire bulb...

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM
The case is a small plastic enclosure, we just cut the wires to the old light and spliced to the new. That's pretty much the extent of my ability!