PDA

View Full Version : What's in Your Emergency Bag?

Clickpopboom
March 23rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
I decided today was a good day to organize my preparedness kit. It got me wondering what everyone else keeps in theirs. I'm always up for new ideas...

Here's what's in my bag:
-Water
-Food (snacks, peanut butter, and a few cans of soup)
-Thick Blanket for keeping warm and to throw over recovery straps
-2 pocket knives and a leatherman
-Flashlight
-6 Channel Handheld CB
-3"x3" GPS
-Extra Batteries
-Duct Tape
-Super Glue
-Nylon Cord
-First Aid Kit
-Tylenol, Benadryl, and Dayquil
-2 10' ratcheting tiedowns
-20' Recovery Strap

ExplorerTom
March 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
I don't have a "bag" but all three of my vehicles have a small, basic first aid kit, flashlight and jumper cables. The 2 vehicles I drive (which are older) also have a tool kit and some knives. My 4wd also has a recovery strap, CB, shovel, blanket and a change of shoes.

I figure since I'm in town 99% of the time, I won't be stranded in the vehicle- I can walk to someplace. If it's -20 and I'm in a snow bank and can't get out (and for some reason my phone doesn't work), I have a nice jacket and hat and it won't be more than a couple miles walk to someplace warm. When I went to high school in Green Bay, I'd walk 1.5 miles in negative weather all the time.

If it's road trip time then I'd toss a few other things in as a precaution.

Fordguy77
March 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
I have 2 different "kits" you could call emergency bags.

For the Daily Driver
-Full set of clothes for all weather conditions
-First Aid Kit
-99% of the time my lunch box for work, with extra food and water
-AAA roadside assistance membership(has paid for itself over and over again)
-"Essential" Tooling for my car. IE only sockets, wrenches, drivers, in sizes relevant to my car to make repairs.
-Misc Common Parts. IE cv joints, wheel bearing, plugs, plug wires, coil pack, hoses and splice kits
-Enough fluids and filters to do a full service on the side of the road.

In the Off Road Vehicles-
-Full set of clothes, tarps, blankets for all weather conditions.
-First Aid Kit
-5 gallons of drinking water
-5 gallons of gas
-Full Set Of Chains
-Fairly complete set of tools to wrench on just about anything
- 3 ton come-a-long with a wide assortment of straps.
- Enough fluids for road side repairs
- Misc Common Parts
-2 Person Tent
- -35 degree sleeping bag
-small camp stove
-2 days of food when planning on going out
-Jumper Cables
-AAA Membership for tows :D

Thats about all i can think of at the moment.

Serious Offroad
March 23rd, 2013, 08:13 PM
Beans
Bullets
Bacon
Bourbon

xaza
March 23rd, 2013, 08:30 PM
I have 2 bags in my off road vehicle. An emergency bag and a winter bag. My winter bag has an extra sweatshirt for everyone in my family, extra jacket for potentially stranded cold person. Extra pair of warm socks, 2 extra sets of gloves, beanie and face mask. Small warm blanket and extra set of clothes and snowboarding pants. We always pack food (with extra munchies) when we go out. All time kit contains recovery strap, tree strap, d-rings, snatch block and other recovery items. Always leave at least one toolbox, high lift jack, chains and cumalongs in back too.

The StRanger
March 23rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
I have my Oh Sh!t bag. If it all go's south in a hurry its Valcro'd to the console
Meds, Glassas, Knife, dry matches, kindleing, Pistol, bullits, Foil blanket & bag...
Alavanch becon !!!

Adaa60
March 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
im working on a bug out bag that stays in the jeep in case of TEOTWAWKI. so far it has food & water. cookware exc, tools tent diapers wipes hatchet, buck knife, large "zombie" knife, change of clothes for each person, coats, S.P.O.T. beacon, first aid kit W/ feild surgery tools and USMC feild kit. im adding to it as i go.

Jackie
March 23rd, 2013, 10:48 PM
in case of TEOTWAWKI

:lmao:

This time of year, I just make sure I have a full tank of gas and my credit cards and cell phone as I won't be off road (on purpose, that is).

When it warms up, I pack a lot more than that, but still working on it.

The StRanger
March 23rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
I have 2 bags, One for Emergencys That has all that stuffIf ihe rig brakes I can camp
The Oh Sh!t bag is if it !!! sinks in the Ice, Roll to the bottom of somewhere, Burns. Etc)
That oh Sh!t bag .

scout man
March 24th, 2013, 11:47 PM
most people that have wheeled with me know my scout is well prepaired as far as tools and spare parts go. Perhaps excessively. I also have a cook stove and sleeping bag in there at all times as well as warm clothes. When I know I am going on longer trips I significantly beef that up. I also have knives, shovels, axe, etc in there, and always have a knife (and more) on me.

My truck is a little less prepared, but I always have a hatchet, a knife, jumper cables, tow strap, winch (new) with snatch block and shackles, and some tools. When going on any kind of a trip I beef up the tool, recovery, and food supply. I also have other preparations in there at all times that the internet world doesnt need to know about.

MelloYello
March 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I like Frank's 4 "B's" to life.
and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jpAEodepTI&feature=youtu.be

KFM1961
March 25th, 2013, 08:58 PM
In a tool box, enough for two to comfortably spend 48 hours stranded; food, water, lighter, blankets, flashlight, stuff to kill something for dinner if required, extra clothes, hats & shoes (in case anyone gets wet). A different box holds 4 wheeling gear; chains, straps, first aid kit, tarps, tools, come-a-long, shovel, tire plug kit, cell phone charger, CB radio (hand-held & car unit), duct tape, electrical tape, mechanic gloves, rubber gloves. Hi-Lift jack and Jerry can of fuel stored external on the vehicle. The cooler is always fresh stuff packed for that trip. A charged camera so I can make my adventures appear more dramatic than they actually are!

Chris
March 25th, 2013, 09:49 PM
A charged camera so I can make my adventures appear more dramatic than they actually are!

:lmao: :thumb: :lmao:

glacierpaul
March 28th, 2013, 06:41 AM
:lmao: :thumb: :lmao:

X2!

I live in the mountains, so I am always prepared:) We even have bug out bags hanging on a coat rack, along side other bug out bags :) can you ever be too prepped?

The StRanger
March 28th, 2013, 10:39 PM
X2!

I live in the mountains, so I am always prepared:) We even have bug out bags hanging on a coat rack, along side other bug out bags :) can you ever be too prepped?

Nope !!!