PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues 88 Jeep Cherok

BlueHeep
March 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM
So heres the deal, after replacing the computer, TPS, IAC, and CPS (crankshaft position sensor), assorted relays, checked all fuses, fuel pressure, and injector pulse i am at a loss. The jeep will crank, start, run and die unless the key is held in the start position. But otherwise as soon as the key is let go of it dies. Any ideas? Im about to strap some c4 to it :bang:

Fordguy77
March 28th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Sounds like the problem lies in your ignition mid might be failing...or some wiring between the ignition me somewhere else.

xaza
March 28th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Yep, sounds like an ignition switch. Got to take apart steering column to access it. When you turn the key forward to on position does stereo, wipers and such work?

Adaa60
March 28th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Yep, sounds like an ignition switch.
3rd that as well, had one go out on an 2nd gen rx7 before some times it would start and run some times it refused to stay running after you let go of the key. spent more than $400 trying to fix before i tested the switch.

Hypoid
March 29th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Got to take apart steering column to access itActually, the '87 to '90 uses a GM column. The lock is at the top, the switch is at the base of the column.

I agree that the switch is suspect.

NO, wait, the Jeep is a pile! I'll give you $50 for it... :D

glacierpaul
March 29th, 2013, 05:52 AM
:lmao: good one Mike! I agree it is the ignition as well.

BlueHeep
March 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
NO, wait, the Jeep is a pile! I'll give you $50 for it... Good one haha, well i tried the igniton switch with no luck sam problem, could the rod be bent?

Hypoid
March 30th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I have wondered the same, but the switch has to be adjusted as part of the installation.

If you have a Yahoo! account, check into the "RENIX Power" group. There are some helpful publications there. :)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower/

BlueHeep
March 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks Mike! I'll have to get an account and check it out