PDA

View Full Version : throttle position sensor question

Coonburger
April 2nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
alright while putting a new tv cable on the chevy i noticed this little box connected inline to the tps sensor. its about 2 inches long and 3.4 inch wide. Has two LED lights red and green. Now it was showing red. I have googled like a mad man and i cant find anything on this thing i pulled it out noticed no difference. Now iam haveing a weird shifting issue when going from 1st to 2nd when iam light on the thottle. Dips the rpms like the torque convertor or something is loading up. Is this inline thing with the tps sensor a odd ball inline tester? i thought with a 90 chevy all the shifting everything is conntrolled by the tv cable. Any thoughts?

Coonburger
April 2nd, 2013, 01:35 PM
FOUND IT!!!! good ol jegs , http://www.jegs.com/i/Caspers+Electronics/182/102015/10002/-1 anyone use these?

Robert B
April 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
srry i have none of this electrical crap in either of my cars lol

Popsgarage
April 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
I've been a GM fan for years and have done a bunch of work and research on mine and have never seen that particular product. Must be for the auto's not manuals. Figure out what was wrong?

Coonburger
April 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
adjusted the new tv cable and shifting great just does that weird shift once in a while. always 1 to 2nd. when it shifts it drops me a few rpms and its not crisp. It is a POS 700r4 so who knows. Thinking something might be sticking once in a while. Run something through the tranny maybe?

Popsgarage
April 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Did it do it before you replaced the kickdown cable?

Coonburger
April 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
yup the old one was all jacked up had to hold it on with zip ties. put the new one in adjusted it shifts right on time. 1 to 2 around 18 to 20 mph and so on so forth. yeah it did it before but it was alot more noticeable.

Popsgarage
April 4th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Possibly a trans issue, but it could just be that the TV cable needs a bit more tweaking. Call a few trans shops and get their input on this one.

Coonburger
April 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM
figure if it was slipping though the rpms would go up not down, its like it lugs the truck down for a quick sec.

Brad
April 4th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Is there a adjustment on the Kickdown cable?

Coonburger
April 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM
the tv cable controls line pressures where it shifts and does the kickdown for it. all adjusted to where all it needs to be
edit* just tried pulling the plug for the torque convertor to see if they was locking up during that shift for some reason and still doing it

Brad
April 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I understand the process, my question, is there a adjustment on the cable itself? I had shifting issues even when I had mine adjusted to spec and found several people had my same issue, a small adjustment later and my trans shifts much better.

Coonburger
April 6th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Southpaw came over and took a look at it and he dont think its the tranny, thinking its the tps sensor messing up. Said all the shifts are right where their suppose to be and shifts good besides that power loss right when it shifts into 2nd.