PDA

View Full Version : What CB do you use?

Adaa60
April 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I've been looking at cb's

My dad's Best friend owns this shop in florida called Bell's CB www.bellscb.com

dad said he would get me the cb i want + tune for a super good price as a gift for me.

I'm going to get the Cobra 29 LX with a RFX-75 Final tune and Reciver improvement mod & PA from Bells CB

i was just crouious what cb's you guys use for the trail's and the road? do you ever use your PA system if you have one installed?

Coonburger
April 10th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Robert B
April 10th, 2013, 12:56 PM
any cobra radio i have had great luck with .. :)

ExplorerTom
April 10th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I have a Midland 1001-LWX with a 4 foot Firestick antenna. Pretty standard CB with weather scan. It has the PA option but personally I don't see a need for it on my rig. The weather scan seems like a worthwhile option- although I haven't used it yet.

I don't use it on the road. The antenna is only installed when on the trail.

The tune is a good thing. There's a CB shop here in Denver that will tune up a CB for a pretty reasonable price. I've been thinking I should take mine there before this guy retires (and most likely the shop closes). He said he can take a CB that out of the box is supposed to be 4 watts (might be putting out slightly more or less) and crank it up to something like 18 watts. A guy in my wheeling group has his tuned up by this guy and his radio sounds fine when he transmits parked right next to me.

I wish I would have gone with the 3 foot Firestick. I have mine mounted to my fender so it sticks up pretty high. It hits almost every tree branch that over hangs the trail. It while it's flexible, it's not super flexible.

Coonburger
April 10th, 2013, 02:18 PM

Adaa60
April 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
i have a 1000watt max fiberglass antenna, and the guy is adding an ajustable output power switch on the side of the unit for me for close quarters use so i wont blow anyone out on the trail. but there tuning it for me so that if i break down alone i will easily have a 5+ mile reach in the mountains and supposedly 40+ miles reach on flat land.

Coonburger
April 10th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Jim
April 10th, 2013, 04:13 PM
And federal / legal limit is, IIRC, 4 watts. Pushing beyond that is over the line and, honestly, not needed. For rigs on a trail, there's, what, 1/2 mile maximum from head to tail in the group.

I'd recommend a somewhat shorter antenna or some what to NOT hear communications from afar. With my cobra my issue is cranking up squelch enough to cut out the trucks on the freeway (`wonder if they're running illegal amps) so I don't have the hassle of listening to their noise just so I can hear comms from the trail group.

EDIT: CB radio (much like current computer WiFi radio and likely all 2-way radio) is a two-way street. You want, mostly, a matched set for each participant. If one end has a loud blowhorn, folks afar can hear it, but not so much good as a legal person from afar can't blow back to complete the 2-way circuit.

Rick
April 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I use the guys in front and behind me:D I honestly dont like listening to all the chatter when Im wheelin so I turn it down or usually off

Tom
April 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I bought a refurb cobra 75 ws, 3 ft firestick, and ext speaker from amazon last year. Works great in my jk as i stash it in the console when not in use. only use it on the trail.

Squshiee1
April 10th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I have a Galaxy 949, I love that thing! It is HUGE! but it has a ton of potential!

96blkbeauty
April 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I have a Uniden PC-78 Elite.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Bearcat-PC78-Elite-40-Channel/dp/B0001YFW1C

I had it professionally peaked and tuned a couple years ago. When I first put it in, I would turn it on and listen to crap on channel 19. But now its rarely on.

RidgeRunner
April 10th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I have a Cobra 18 WX STII with a 4' Firestick antenna. I generally don't use it on the road unless i'm in a group headed to the trail. I tuned mine with a SWR meter, don't know if that's any different that what a shop does.

ExplorerTom
April 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM
It's way different from what a shop does. A shop will open up the CB and fiddle with it. The SWR is just adjusting the length of the antenna.

RidgeRunner
April 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM
It's way different from what a shop does. A shop will open up the CB and fiddle with it. The SWR is just adjusting the length of the antenna.

Gotcha, I wasn't sure.

xaza
April 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Have run a few Midland and Cobra CB's and have been very happy with both. I lived in NE before pagers and cell phones were around I could reach one end of town to the other with a 100% legal set-up. Had a amp for emergencies. I rarely if ever go out alone. I have checked and am rarely far from cell phone service making a long distance CB reach not needed. I run a Midland currently with an 18" non-ground(marine) antenna mounted to my roof rack. I have an swr meter to help with dialing in antenna but don't know anything about tuning a CB. The old guy mentioned above I would imagine is the guy in Lakewood off of Sheridan and Kentucky. Radio Service Center 918 S Sheridan Blvd, 303-569-6499. He also sells pre owned CB's that he has tuned for a very reasonable price.

Hypoid
April 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM
You guys are making me feel inadequate with my WalMart special.:erm:

If you want range, get a ham radio. One guy who used to be on this board showed me his ham radio, he used it to call his cell phone sitting on the console. He told me that nifty service cost around $20 per year. He also told me that if you can transmit to a repeater station, your range exponentiates. :)

CS79bronco
April 10th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I have a couple old Cobras that are supposed to be kickin out 20+ watts. They also are boosted on the receive side so they pick up from a good distance. Not good for trail use however.

The StRanger
April 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Im thinkin I should go check. I dont know right off what I got.
The only time I use it is on the trail or open road

City & truck stops are bull Sh*t

All it is is noise..

Coonburger
April 10th, 2013, 11:12 PM
personally i love using mine all the time when i am driving and just to get the good deals from the truck stops never know what they got up for sale. those stressing bout the watts thats why he has the adjustable output so he don't blow you away on the trail. to each their own though

AccordRanger
April 11th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I have a cobra 19. It does great and is small enough to put pretty much anywhere I want.

carpenle
April 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM
From my research, the antenna is the most important part of the set up. It is also important to get the antenna tuned to the radio. I also have a Cobra 19.

WDoG
April 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I'm using an old Realistic TRC-417

Old but still kickin. Haven't had much of a chance to use it. Can't wait for snow to really melt and get on the trail with some people.

http://www.cbmuseum.nl/images/realistic_trc417.JPG

Adaa60
April 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Ok so my new cb is on its way! they tested, tuned, tweaked and peaked it for me! and i told bell's about the fact i was gonna use it in the trail rig so he did some custom mod's that he does for the mud bogger rigs to help like special rubber bushings inside of it to protect it from vibrations and jolts. they also tested it for trail distance and said they set it up 2 ft from another radio antenna and it talked perfectly fine without drowning anyone out.

its putting out 35 wats max and avg of 21.3 watts

should be here in 3 days! so excited!!!! but i will need to meet up with one of you guys to tune my antenna i guess. i dont know how to do it.

This is what the new radio looks like

its a Cobra 29 LX

i think my favorite thing about this radio is how modern it looks, its auto scan, and the Weather Alert. even if your not using it, the cb will go off and brodcast emergency weather alerts if the weather station tells it too

Minnesota
April 11th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Cobra 29 WX NW ST (https://www.cobra.com/detail/25-wx-nw-st-with-weather-and-nightwatch.cfm)

I dig having the NOAA weather radio reception. I had an old P/A horn lying around (and plenty of room under the hood), so I I can throw down the occasional heckle. :rolleyes:

I visited the CB Store at Johnson's Corner for my antenna setup. Super nice folks.

Adaa60
April 11th, 2013, 07:15 PM
yea, im gonna score me a pa as well. figured why not! my horn dosent work and a pa is so much more personal =)

Adaa60
April 11th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I have a Cobra 18 WX STII

Hey i have an extra one of these in my back seat with a bad speaker if you want it for extra parts

Jim
April 11th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I have an SWR meter you can borrow.

Adaa60
April 12th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I would need someone to show me how to tune with it if I Barrow it I would not know what to do with it. Although there's always YouTube!

glacierpaul
April 12th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Great reminder for me to get the Cobra cb out of my travel trailer, and into the Jeep!!

@ Minnesota (Dave) Aidan says 'meow' :) the PA is great for amusing kiddos on the trails too! Lookin forward to wheelin with you again Dave!

Edit: sweet cb Rob!!

sunk
April 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Ha, I just warm up the pipes then roll down the window...

Hey Rob, all I do all day is work on public safety radios. You could borrow that meter and I could should you how to use it, or, just stop by the house and I can get you all set up.

WDoG
April 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Quick question about antennas. So I don't think my antenna is tuneable? No screw like the Firestiks. I'm not even sure I'm getting out to anyone. I rarely hit anyone around the city.

sunk
April 12th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Quick question about antennas. So I don't think my antenna is tuneable? No screw like the Firestiks. I'm not even sure I'm getting out to anyone. I rarely hit anyone around the city.

I plan on doing a write up about CBs in another thread.

So there are lots of things that make a CB work. You must have the correct frequency antenna, just some long looking antenna may not be the correct freq. That leads into problems with your CB, but first you need to understand that most CBs are low power (usually 3 watts). If you cannot tune your antenna (adjust the length for the center freq) then you could damage your Power Amplifier inside the radio. How does that happen? "All" that power has to go somewhere, to test this you need a SWR meter. Using the meter your can determine the VSWR (standing wave ratio) or power forward to power reflected. If the antenna is not tuned you will get reflected power and that power is dissipated inside the radio and will damage your PA. The result is no power out.

Some antennas that do not have the adjustable screw need to be cut to length. Do you know a pt# for your antenna?

Jim
April 12th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Using an SWR meter (the process is a 10 minute job start to finish [if you get the results you want])

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

YouTube results:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swr+meter

WDoG
April 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Its just some antenna. I was thinking about just getting a firestik and being done with it. Something that is adjustable and known to work would be nice.

Looking forward to the write up.

carpenle
April 12th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I also have a swr meter if anybody wants to borrow it.

Funrover
April 12th, 2013, 10:04 AM
All in one hand held Cobra!

scout man
April 12th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I have that same CB (un-tweaked) in my DD, but the version with bluetooth. I love it personally, but it gets bad reviews. Mine is mostly used for the bluetooth though, but comes in handy as a CB from time to time as well.

Patrolman
April 12th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I have a slightly older style Cobra with the weather radio. Have had one in each rig for about 5 years and it is the best thing ever for traveling in the back country.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_546624_-1?kwid=ps_pla

xaza
April 12th, 2013, 07:23 PM
With so many vehicles being fiberglass anymore, grounding your antenna can be an issue also. I had that issue with mine, was trying to run ground wire up to antenna but ended up being just plain ugly. Went with a marine antenna, does not require antenna to be grounded. If you have a non adjustable antenna you can still adjust it, kinda. By adding a spring it will increase length of antenna, so with a small selection of different length springs and an swr meter you can likely dial it in. Also depending on what channel you use the most, you can focus your tuning to work best on that channel.
Here is my antenna, sorry can't link to exact one. Mine is the no ground plane roof mount FG2-DD http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

My CB is a Midland 5001Z from Walmart (better price than Midland)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-40-Channel-CB-Radio-With-Digital-Tuner/10603642

Max
April 13th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Anyone in Boulder have an SWR meter I can use?

Tom
April 13th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Max,

I'm in longmont and can loan you one

Max
April 14th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks Tom, I'll keep it in mind.

Fordguy77
April 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Im running a Cobra 29 WX NW ST with a 4' firestik nestled in a tuffy console.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo28/3c/17/bd9897c57fa0__1277218534000.jfif
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo23/a2/e5/63b3d232ad1f__1277410465000.jfif

The StRanger
April 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I mounted mine on the back of the console..
If they cant see it, they cant steal it.
And I run the duel 4 foot firesticks off the trail box !!

ExplorerTom
April 14th, 2013, 10:25 PM
^^mine is in a similar location:
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/TJUrbanek/Explorer/253c47791470d2cbf0419d357128a860.jpg

The StRanger
April 14th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I thought of that but I stack too much junk in console
And I didnt like opening the lid all the time

ExplorerTom
April 14th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, that is a pain, but really once I turn it on, it's on until we're off the trail. And it's loud enough that I can hear it. I can route the mic cable out the front and it's wired to constant power.

Plus I really couldn't find a better location. In the dash below an aftermarket head unit would be the best, but I have the factory head unit.

The StRanger
April 14th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Wished I had some pics. Mines in the back seat, Bolted to the back of the console
A quick peek to get the chanel and its good to go. Dropped the cables through the drain plug.
Inside the frame to the front plug in the bed to each side of the trail box right to the antanna mounts.

Adaa60
April 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM
YEA!!!!!

IT CAME IT CAME ITS HERE ITS HERE

and installed. still need to tune my antenna but i was able to talk to keith at his house from my store

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l578/Badaa60/IMG_20130415_135449_920_zps50e2f874.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/Badaa60/media/IMG_20130415_135449_920_zps50e2f874.jpg.html)
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l578/Badaa60/IMG_20130415_142553_855_zps5dd5577d.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/Badaa60/media/IMG_20130415_142553_855_zps5dd5577d.jpg.html)

Jim
April 15th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Congratulations!

_Tundra_
May 7th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I plan on getting one soon, myself.

I'll go with a cheapy like a Cobra. I enjoy driving saying "What's your 20?" :D

Java
May 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I got a setup off amazon for less than $50.00 with free shipping, works great.

this was the list from 2012, Amazon.com. not sure what current prices are-

Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads 3.79

Midland 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio 28.98

Midland 18-2442 Mobile CB Antenna 15.16

Total: $47.93, free super saver shipping