PDA

View Full Version : Starter stays engaged or no start???

Funrover
April 12th, 2013, 08:59 PM
93 Range Rover LWB 126,000 miles

Some back story. Not long ago I put in a new blower motor/heater core. Before putting the dash back in I tested the new items. After hooking up the battery to start it the starter stayed engaged. Took the key out, just kept going. Undid battery. Looked around didn't see any wires crossed etc. Hooked back up and did fine.

Now forward about a month. Wife was going to visit family. Stops to get gas and the truck will not turn over. Nothing. She has power but nothing is happening. Her Uncle drives down to help and found a broken fuse-able link. No biggie, quick fix and it all works.

Yesterday the starter once again did not disengage, but when the key was removed it stopped. Today it would not turn over for a couple tries. Then all the sudden fine...

Please help me, where do I start on this?

My thoughts are ign. switch, but I have read some about solenoid wire causing issues.

The StRanger
April 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM
With the dash part, the steering column its should be a plug & play
I think Id lean towards the starter solenoid

Brad
April 12th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Starter relay? Ignition switch sticking? Sounds like the power to the starter is not turning off when you release the key.

Have you looked up the circuit in Rave?

Funrover
April 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Starter relay? Ignition switch sticking? Sounds like the power to the starter is not turning off when you release the key.

Have you looked up the circuit in Rave?

For some reason RAVE doesn't work on my computer... GRRRRR!!!!

glacierpaul
April 13th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Damnit anyways! Good luck Aaron!

Adaa60
April 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM
i would test the Starter solenoid first try to get it to stay engaged on you and then check to see if its actually getting the signal to be on or not. if its getting power then i would go up to the relay. if its not then its just sticking. take it apart and clean it out. most of the time they can be rebuilt. i had a honda that got mud and dirt stuck in it and one day it would not engage i took it apart cleaned it all up with a wire brush and she worked great again.

Funrover
April 14th, 2013, 12:22 AM
i would test the Starter solenoid first try to get it to stay engaged on you and then check to see if its actually getting the signal to be on or not..

It seems to act up for the wife. Behaves for me. I swear these Rovers have their own personalities.

Hypoid
April 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM
That leads me to think the problem is in the switch or lock. I might have experienced the same phenomenon...

Funrover
April 14th, 2013, 01:57 AM
That leads me to think the problem is in the switch or lock. I might have experienced the same phenomenon...

I hope not the ign. switch.....

glacierpaul
April 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
It seems to act up for the wife. Behaves for me. I swear these Rovers have their own personalities.

I don't think this happens with just Rovers :)

It does sound like the ign. switch. Maybe the wife has a lighter touch and your man handling it :).

zukrider
April 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM
im leaning to the electric portion of the ign switch. either the keeper springs have gotten weak, the pivot is worn allowing play, or the solder has gone bad. im not a rover dude, but id start there.

easy to just delete the key and run a push button.

Funrover
April 21st, 2013, 07:46 PM
Well the problem is solved. I did the test explained here -> http://easyautodiagnostics.com/bad_starter_test/starter_oncar_tests_1.php to make sure before putting on the new starter. Upon removing the starter drive slid down to the nose cone. It was not connected to anything. Put the new starter in and now the LWB starts beautifully!

glacierpaul
April 22nd, 2013, 06:22 AM
NICE!!

xaza
April 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Good to hear, glad you got er fixed

Brad
April 23rd, 2013, 05:58 AM
Excellent! :thumb:

upnover
April 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM

Yes they do!!! I have two LR DII's and they PMS together.

Funrover
April 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
Yes they do!!! I have two LR DII's and they PMS together.

ROFLMAO!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: