PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 4/27

alexb
April 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm looking to go out on Saturday 4/27 for a run. I've got a stock Jeep Wrangler and looking to bring a friend of mine as a passenger. Wondering if anyone wants to go out that day? I'm in Longmont.

Jackie
April 13th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Alex - post up a run. Do you have a trail in mind?

xaza
April 14th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Lefthand Canyon is right close to you and manageable with a stock wrangler, probably just not Big Mama Hill.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=6

Tom
April 14th, 2013, 07:59 AM
i might be interested. probably not left hand though too many horror stories.

ExplorerTom
April 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I just ran LHC yesterday. We came down The Squeeze and I don't know if I would have been able to go up it. I was teetering on 2 wheels coming down. Maybe there was a different line. We tried to do Big Mama Hill but a Wrangler had tipped on its side so we backed down. We saw them later on at the 5 Points Kiosk. We then went up Fireman Hill and started to go down the trail that loops around on the left side of the map (Castle Gulch) but it looked as though no one had been on it in awhile (no tracks in the snow) so we turned around and headed down through the Squeeze.

Without a locker, a good line going up is critical. I had to readjust my line a couple times and use the "bump" method to get up and over rocks.

If you go, go early. We were leaving the trail around 2 and it was getting crowded. We were on the trail at about 9:30.

Max
April 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I don't understand everyone's problem with Lefthand Canyon. For every one person that has a problem with it, there are lots more that have a great time. I was up there two weekends in a row, once by myself, and had a blast. I was the first one on the trail and explored every trail on the West side that (explorer)Tom is talking about, 288A,B,D, 286,E,B by myself. It was great fun, I've never been through The Squeeze before, we always run Fireman Hill.

Seriously, LHC is just like any other trail. The only thing I can think of is that it gets more crowded than other trails before of how close to town it is, and because it's the open all year.

Cheers!

Jim
April 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I _might_ be interested. The jeep's on the road but I'm hearing a new squeal (quiet, but noticeable) noise from the drivetrain that I'd like to pinpoint.

LHC's fine (no big momma for me as I'm rear wheel drive only for now). I might take the bypass on fireman too. If exploring the northwest trails at LHC I'd bring chains if the snow is deep enough. I've never been on those trails so I'd like to check'm out.

My only issue with LHC is the garbage. Other than that, I might simply plan on some target practice myself (and clean up after myself [and others]).

ExplorerTom
April 14th, 2013, 10:54 AM
There wasn't much snow on those NW trails- just enough across to determine if anyone had been on them. We could have easily driven the trail, but we decided against it for a variety of reasons. But we did say that we'd like to go back and run it. And we only drove on one short section of solid snow the entire day on a different section. Some other areas were damp and at the bottom, there were 2 sloppy mud sections.

And we picked up other people's trash too.

I think I saw that place were that XJ was broken down on someone else's trip report and I noticed that I wasn't able to see that someone had performed a fairly large trail side repair- ie they cleaned up after themselves.

The shooting area certainly looked like a trash dump though.

Adaa60
April 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM
yea that was big mamma hill they broke on and they totally packed out there mess

i LOVE LHC and i can get there in 45mins so if any of you go and need help just shoot me a call i can come get you out if you have issues!

Jim
April 14th, 2013, 02:45 PM
So Alex, what're your thoughts? Lefthand Canyon?

Pole Hill is still listed as closed. Rock Creek / Bunce School (northern section down to the meadows gate) / IronClads??

This early in the season LHC is one of the few that comes to the surface.

zukrider
April 14th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Bunce, Iron Clads, TA-33 plane crash will all be doable, though bumpy. MSV is good to go, but if your inexperienced, id shy away from Kelly Flats. maybe an up and back from Kelly.

even a trip to Empire and the surrounding trails would be a nice time. just go prepared!

Rob
April 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM
T-33A and MSV are still closed. Miller Rock is always open; could work if there's not much snow and it's not icy.

Max
April 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18728-Boulder-Ranger-District-Road-Status

Tom
April 14th, 2013, 06:35 PM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18728-Boulder-Ranger-District-Road-Status
last time the ranger district road status was updated was 2/22/2013

The StRanger
April 14th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Donk know if its still snowed in But
I still want to do Jenny Creek

RidgeRunner
April 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Jenny Creek is definitely still snowed in. There is a thread over on CO4x4 from a guy who's jeep was stuck up there until last week or so. He had to strap an extra set of tires on the outside to get off Rollins Pass Road. Cool trick, glad it wasn't me. Gonna be a while before it's passable.

Jim
April 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Anyone have a clue as to snow up near Jenny. It's fairly high in elevation and fairly "tree'd in" as well.

The StRanger
April 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Jenny Creek is definitely still snowed in. There is a thread over on CO4x4 from a guy who's jeep was stuck up there until last week or so. He had to strap an extra set of tires on the outside to get off Rollins Pass Road. Cool trick, glad it wasn't me. Gonna be a while before it's passable.

I seen that, I can still see a summer run and BBQ on top !!

Jim
April 14th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I can still see a summer run and BBQ on top !!

I like that idea!

The StRanger
April 14th, 2013, 10:40 PM
I like that idea!

Once the weather turns I'll put somethin together ...
I like runnin trails Iv never been before !

glacierpaul
April 15th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Anyone have a clue as to snow up near Jenny. It's fairly high in elevation and fairly "tree'd in" as well.

Around 3-5' with drifting, only speculating because of what I have, Jenny is just over a couple hills from me. We got 12+" Sat. night, 2" last night, 3-5" today and 5-7" with chances for snow into Sunday. But when the sun does come out this snow is melting fast.
I did not make it up there last year, will for sure this year.

Adaa60
April 15th, 2013, 11:43 PM
So any idea yet on where u wanna go?

Jim
April 15th, 2013, 11:46 PM
With the snow, postponing a week is a consideration. I'm not saying it's needed - but if you wanted to consider a date change - it's an option - it's all your decision.

glacierpaul
April 16th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Front Range got over 2' since Sat. night. Over a foot forecast for the next 2 days over 9,000ft.

alexb
April 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Is t-33a gated?

alexb
April 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I think that Left hand canyon sounds like the best trail for the date because of gates and snow. I'm looking forward to trying some of these other trails as the weather warms up.

Is a 10 am start time good? Meet at the trailhead?

Java
April 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Is t-33a gated?

I'd be into that!! I'm watching this, I'm a strong maybe for that weekend.

ExplorerTom
April 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Is a 10 am start time good? Meet at the trailhead?

IMO, from my experience last weekend, starting at 10am will mean you will run into a lot of traffic coming down. Earlier is better in that regard.

Jim
April 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM
If memory serves me, T-33 is a spur off of the Bunce School Road trail.

I do not recall a specific gate for T-33 but there is a gate at the south end of Bunce and a gate farther north on Bunce called "The Meadows". One of those gates needs to be opened to get to the T-33 spur and I'd imagine both gates are opened/locked at the same time.

In the LHC trail runs' I've been on, we have met at the trailhead though a recent run or two has met at the "eastern intersection" out by the restaurant. I'd be game for either but IIRC there's a tad more parking at the trailhead but then there's cell service out by the restaurant.

zukrider
April 16th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Left hand is dangerous when slick. have you all ever been up by empire? some of the best and safest snow wheeling we have. rock creek is a drive, but good as well

alexb
April 16th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Where in Empire? Where is rock creek? I am ignorant :)

Jim
April 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
www.TrailDamage.com (http://www.TrailDamage.com) is a good resource to bookmark

Rock Creek is reasonably close to Longmont. Head up the St. Vrain canyon to Allenspark and you're essentially there. Though, you'd be passing Bunce / Ironclads and somewhat Miller Rock on the way too.

Aside from the full TrailDamage site, here is their interactive (zoom in/out & pan) "Colorado Trailheads" link:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

Rob
April 16th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Rock Creek is reasonably close to Longmont. Head up the St. Vrain canyon to Allenspark and you're essentially there. Though, you'd be passing Bunce / Ironclads and somewhat Miller Rock on the way too.

All three are on the Boulder RD MVUM. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5165768.pdf

zukrider
April 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Godd call Jim, thanks, i was tied up a bit, and didnt have time to link.

Empire is the tiny little blink and your out town on US40, just after you get on from I70

and apparently, Traildamage isnt playing nice tonight.

Max
April 17th, 2013, 06:41 AM
If it helps or you want to call the Forest Service, T-33 is FS202 and FS203. "Open May 15 through November 30" according to my Charles Wells book. Current conditions: "Roosevelt N.F., Boulder R.D. 303-541-2500".

alexb
April 17th, 2013, 06:34 PM
So I have now learned lots more about mvums and gates and what not.

Looking at Trail Damage and trying to find trails open in late spring: what about doing Dry St Vrain and Rock Creek on 4/27?

I figure if there is time and interest and trail/weather cooperation we could do some of Miller Rock as the first two could be quick based on trail conditions.

Any one game?

Dry St. Vrain http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=360
Rock Creek http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=244
Miller Rock http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=104

Also, thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

glacierpaul
April 18th, 2013, 05:43 AM
If it ever stops snowing :)

alexb
April 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM
If it ever stops snowing :)

Longmont is forecasting 68 degrees and Allenspark is forecasting 55 degrees. I'm hoping for the best. :)

Rob
April 18th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Anyone game?

I might be up for a run up there.

Jim
April 19th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I kept thinking 4/20 and not 4/27. By 4/27 the snow should at least pack down a little :)

I'll be keeping 4/27 open on the calendar.

alexb
April 19th, 2013, 03:58 PM
I added it to the site calendar. Hope to see some of you out there.

Jim
April 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM
The site's work'n for ya / "ya done well"...

I like your fresh look at a Lyons meeting spot.

EDIT: Dry St. Vrain has been on my mental "ToDo list" - I'll be looking forward to it.

Tom
April 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
If it keeps on staying warm. Great choice of trails.

Max
April 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Regarding the meeting spot, my worry would be not enough parking for everyone. It's downtown Lyons, so there may be lots of people already parked there. I say try it out! If it doesn't work out we can meet in the old spot or another one altogether next time.

Tom
April 19th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Regarding the meeting spot, my worry would be not enough parking for everyone. It's downtown Lyons, so there may be lots of people already parked there. I say try it out! If it doesn't work out we can meet in the old spot or another one altogether next time.
There is a park n ride in Lyons right near the park