PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination

sunk
April 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Man am I good at this.:thumb:

I purchased my 1 ton axels around 2 years ago:eek:. I have slowly been purchasing the parts needed to rebuild the Dana 60. But more importantly, I have had a lot of the parts for a long time and on occasion go out to the garage and tinker with it. So far I have torn down the Drivers side and replaced the kingpins. I just purchased the crossover steering kit and should be able to make a little progress this weekend. It never ends and I keep telling myself that they will be under the truck by this summer.:erm:

Do you have a project you have been putting off? I figured we could start a "contest", the person with the longest running active project should win some menial item. Post yours up, if you can best everyone I will purchase you a FR4x4 sticker.:D

Who knows, maybe this will be the thread that inspires you to get that project completed. Hell, I might lend a hand, anything to put off working my own crap!

scout man
April 25th, 2013, 09:07 AM
my fuel injection has been sitting on the floor of the garage for around a year now, and I too have a dana 60 sitting in the garage that I keep going back and forth on whether or not I will use.

sunk
April 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Does your Dana 60 have to be narrowed? Or will you go fullsize?

ColoJeeper
April 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Been putting off putting the new tube fenders on my JK for a couple weeks now, so not long, but have decided that I should address my procrastination issues as well. Will probably start tomorrow. :erm:

4runner freak
April 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Mine has been out of the garage 3 times over the last ~4 years.
I bit off way too much for one down time.
Double trannys, e-lockers front and back, OBA(not even close to done), new tranny tunnel, custom cross over steering, drivetrain crossmembers, new drive shafts(still need to finish the front 2 piece)
I was hoping to have a boy's weekend and have a couple people over on the 4th, but plans may be significantly changing for the future(Almost for sure getting 2 little girls, that will become permanent family)
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?1930-Hey-Guys-Gals-Again-x3&p=5766#post5766
Here is a video of it at 180:1
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/4runnerFreak/4runner%20Pics/th_MVI_1137.jpg (http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/4runnerFreak/4runner%20Pics/MVI_1137.mp4)

sunk
April 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Mine has been out of the garage 3 times over the last ~4 years.

That might have mine beat. Is it on the road now?

4runner freak
April 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM
That might have mine beat. Is it on the road now?

Nope. Still in the garage!
I'd love to get it out this summer, but time and laziness are getting in the way.

Funrover
April 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I have been driving my project since High School. Does that count? LOL

scout man
April 25th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Does your Dana 60 have to be narrowed? Or will you go fullsize?

Full size. I had convinced myself not to use it because it was going to be a lot of extra expense, and then I went and broke an axle shaft which now has me thinking about it again.

Popsgarage
April 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM
My avatar pic was driveway art for about 3 years and it's been street art fro about 2 years. Finally got a junkyard engine in it with a bunch of go fast parts that have been sitting on the garage shelves for the past 12 years. It's got some weird driveability issues and then it wouldn't even start. Has spark , pump runs but won't fire. I think the pump is not enough so I ordered one and have yet to install it. It runs and then it doesn't. Loaned it to a kid that used to work for me and he ran it out of oil and fried the rear main bearing. Axles sat in the back of it for 2 years and the ORD crossover steering and PSC steering box sat in the garage for over a year, the ORD dual transfer case set-up has sat on the bench collecting other clutter for about a year.Meh, I'll get it done when I get it done.

Fordguy77
April 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Uh all of my rigs? haha The 77 has sat for 4 years, and the ranger for 3, both with blown engines. Both should be on the road by this summer. And have nice new motors to put into them, However i wouldnt say that they are the most active projects at the moment, as the last few years ive been spending 250+days out of town on the road working.

Popsgarage
April 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
You and I should start a club Chris!!!!!!!!!!!

Fordguy77
April 25th, 2013, 05:46 PM
You and I should start a club Chris!!!!!!!!!!!
We should! We both seem to end up with most of projects being yard and street art for some periods of time. But hey, who can blame us, i mean look at how awesome our art is!

Popsgarage
April 25th, 2013, 05:53 PM
True!

Clickpopboom
April 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I decided to refinish my vintage Craftsman metal toolbox- it has been sitting in primer for almost 8 years now, and is now in a storage unit back in Idaho.

Rob
April 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Uh all of my rigs?

:lmao: Chris might win just for sheer volume, if not length of time.

I have a pair of lower-gear third members sitting out in the garage instead of sitting under the FJ40. Been there for a few (many?) months. I'm not so much procrastinating as waiting until after :princess: gets her new kitchen (next month).

The StRanger
April 25th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I keep pickin stuff up for Everything. My wife calls me a Auto Horder.
Iv got a 3 inch body lift thats been in the bottom of my box for about 4 years.
Got a 9 inch full size & a D44 full size for about 3 years. Ghosthunter has a D35 & feaf springs for the Crypt
Its been about 2 years
Have An injected 5.0 & 2wd AOD for about a year..
Should I keep going ....

Patrolman
April 25th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I finally put the dual t-case in my 4Runner this winter. I had the t-case and driveshafts for about 5 years and the adapter for about 3 years. Glad I got it done.

The other parts to go on the 4Runner include a 2nd fuel tank that I bought 7 years ago, and a full-floater rear axle that I need to build up. I bought the housing and shafts 8 years ago. Worst part is that I bought another matching axle 3 or 4 years ago for my truck. Once I finish one, it should inspire me to complete the 2nd axle to go in the truck. I also have a engine swap to do on the truck now. Engine has only been sitting 4 months in the garage, so at this point I am ahead of schedule!

In regards to vehicles, I bought my 69 Patrol in 1997 and drove it for about 4 years on/off. Parked it in the garage in 2002, and it finally rolled back out last Fall when we moved. It is now BEHIND the garage. I also have my 72 240Z behind the garage that has been there 8+ years, and my 76 Scout that has been there 6+ years. 92 Ford Festiva is sitting in my driveway waiting for an engine swap, and my Cushman Trackster is sitting on the trailer just waiting for an engine tuneup. It saddens me sometimes to think about them, but now that I have a functional garage to work in, they should each get some attention in the next year or two.

It always seems like other priorities come up, but in the end, I enjoy the rigs I have and wouldn't change a thing!

The StRanger
April 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM
It always seems like other priorities come up, but in the end, I enjoy the rigs I have and wouldn't change a thing!

Yup ...

Popsgarage
April 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM

Yup X2!!!!!!!

Popsgarage
April 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Chris might win just for sheer volume, if not length of time.

And this is too true!!!!!!!!!!

glacierpaul
April 26th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Which vehicle do I start with. The non-running 1980 J-20, for 10 years? It is at Kysar's Place in Rollinsville, going to get fixed this summer so it can be driven again! All my vehicles and my motorcycles need some work, now just time and money together at the same time....:) Really it just needs a tune up and the oil pressure line to the dash replaced, to drive. But I want to restore and upgrade this bad boy. It is a beast! Like the frozen crusted snow on the side? probably still there :) that is from sitting against the hillside for 10? years. and the dirt stained tires....

sunk
April 26th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Hmmmm. I think I need to re-evaluate my "contest". At what point does a Single project become a whole vehicle that needs to be rebuilt? And then, when does it become "art"???

I know that if I get more than 1 vehicle going at one time that I will not get anything done.

glacierpaul
April 26th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Hmmmm. I think I need to re-evaluate my "contest". At what point does a Single project become a whole vehicle that needs to be rebuilt? And then, when does it become "art"???

I know that if I get more than 1 vehicle going at one time that I will not get anything done.

That seems to be one of my probs, too many vehicles/toys, and wanting to make them better.

Haku
April 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'm definitely a big procrastinator, sometimes because of laziness and sometimes because of waiting for money or parts. I was expecting my 4 link project to take a month or two, and its been a little over a year since I've had it on the trail or done anything more then drive it around the block. Its getting close, but I still have to spend money on it to finish it, which is why its in stasis for the moment. Probably doesn't help that I'm starting another Toyota project, which I also have parts for that I haven't installed either.

Its definitely easy to make the decision to sit on the couch instead of work on a rig, but it sure feels a heck of a lot better to have actually done something with your day when you get off your ass.

Fordguy77
April 28th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Well I do believe i have somewhat of an answer for your questions.

A project becomes Art once you reach the 0 divergence point on either the Time or Money continuum with no projected idea of when one or both of the trends will reverse in direction and allow you to complete the project.

And for a simple project to become a entire rebuild is also pretty simple. Take my 77 Ford for example. I have owned it for 5 years, and gone through 3 transmissions and 1 motor. In that 5 years, it has collectively been on the road for maybe 6 months. When I lost the motor in the 77, I decided that if I was going to rebuild it, it was going to be done right.

So when I went to pull my motor, I soon found out that my Engine puller barely allows my Engine to clear the radiator support and grill assembly. Making it a slight pain in the ass, because you actually have to "roll" the motor over the support as not to hit it. And this was with my tires off and the axles less than a 1/4 from sitting on the discs. Well i figured since I need new suspension anyway, and it would be easier to put the motor back in, that i should pull the front axle. And while its out it only makes sense to rebuild it, since its so much easier to work on.

While this change was taking place, the transmission had to be pulled, and after having such freak accidents and teenage destructive syndrome, it only made sense to get away from the Automatic transmissio ns, So then the 4Spd swap project got tacked on to the axle rebuild along with the new motor and suspension. And if i am doing the 4 spd swap, Suspension , Axle Rebuild, and New engine it only made sense to pull the rear axle as well.

So now from the one project of having to replace my motor, it has turned into a project to replace/rebuild my entire drive-train along with it. Its weird how things compound so quickly...

And this is just one of the projects, without bringing up the 70s F100 Restoration, the 72 Fury 2 restoration, both the 4runner and Landcrusier builds, and the 91 Ranger. All while trying to keep The 04 Focus and 98 Dakota on the road, and pursing the purchase of my first house. Needless to say I am fortunate to still live at home with a supportive dad as far as my hobbies go. And a few of these projects have been going on since i was 16... Not doing to bad with project accumulation/procrastination if i do say so myself.

Hypoid
April 28th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I don't want to talk about it right now...

Rob
April 29th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I don't want to talk about it right now...

:lmao: