PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Please,,,,

Sean Bailey
April 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I would forever be indebted,,, if someone out there with wiring skills could help me with the wiring and hook up of off road driving lights. I have them wired in but can't get them to work!!!!:frown: Thank you

offroadwonder
April 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
If you weren't an hour+ drive, then I'd see what I could do. Wiring can be a PITA, but it is usually pretty straight forward.

Maybe you can post some pictures/diagrams of what you're trying to do.

Patrolman
April 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, being so far away is a hassle. Maybe someone else is closer?

Adaa60
April 27th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Sean. if you would like to drive out here to our store, i would be more than willing to give you a hand setting them up and getting you lit.
no pun intended

Sean Bailey
April 27th, 2013, 04:33 PM
thanks where is your store located. I have 5 Hella lights mounted on the front of my jeep but for the life of me i just cant get them to light up . any help would be greatly appreciated .

Adaa60
April 27th, 2013, 04:36 PM
im at the corner of 84th and sheridan in westminster today, will be here till 6:30pm

if not that im looking to go out on a run tomorrow preferably to spring creek if you wanna meet up there we could play and work on it.

or on monday i'll be at my aurora store off of chambers and colfax ave in aurora from 11-5

xaza
April 27th, 2013, 05:29 PM
If you could describe a little more as to what you have done, we might be able to help more. Where did you tap into for power? Where is the ground? Are there 2 or 3 connections on switch? A very typical problem is a bad ground. Always good to file away to clean metal. How are the lights wired together, parallel or series, if series one light out all lights will go out or all lights downstream of broken light(depending on how ground is wired). Some pics are always helpful. Do you have a light tester? It is a must for working on electrical and is less than ten bucks.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Innova-Transparent-handle-test-light-circuit-tester/_/N-2714?itemIdentifier=186543_0_0_

Hypoid
April 27th, 2013, 07:59 PM
If you have not let the smoke out of the wires, you are doing OK. :)

Try sending a PM to Bloodbane. He lives close as anybody I can think of.

RockyMtnHigh
April 27th, 2013, 08:42 PM
but it is usually pretty straight forward.

It is pretty straight forward, below is a link for a basic wiring diagram from Hella:

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaUSA/WebSite/MiscContent/Download/Drivers/Lighting/BasicWiringDiagram1.pdf

Where I have seen a lot of people experience problems is the wire they tap into on the back of the headlamp, which runs to the switch in the kit.

If you have the daytime running lights, the color combo is as follows for a 2nd gen Taco:

The white with green stripe is the ground on both left and right lamps.
On the left lamp: low beam is green with a white stripe...high beam is red with a blue stripe.
On the right lamp: low beam is blue...high beam is red with a white stripe.

At least from what I found on the net.

If that's not it and you followed the diagram I would suggest checking the fuses. If I remember correctly I had 4 lights running to the same relay, if you have an extra you might want to swap it out.

Clickpopboom
April 27th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Best way is to run their own power wire and relay them. This does 2 things: it keeps you from hacking up the factory wiring harness, and the relay takes the heavy amperage off of the switch to keep it from burning out prematurely.

http://www.weendoggy.com/images/relay_wiring.jpg

RockyMtnHigh
April 29th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I was wondering what became of this and checked in...I really shouldn't respond to posts half asleep. I thought offroadwonder was the one asking for help with the Tacoma.