PDA

View Full Version : Gully's ZJ

gully369
April 29th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee that I have owned the last 9 years, and have learned to repair as things go wrong or the classic wanting more.

For starters I'm not going to go into all the past detail as it is mostly small repair things. I'll list out some of the mods I have done in the past, most of which can be found here http://ultimatejeep.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=buildups&action=display&thread=870&page=1 . Some of the highlights are WJ knuckle upgrade, WJ intake manifold and sort of flow matching, Thorley headers, Grand Wagoneer steering box, High Output alternator and wiring, and custom (ie cobbled together) lift.

Lift: Right no I'm sitting at around 4.5" of lift. I am still working on getting the lift all sorted out, I had some serious death wobble for a while, even broke a TRE driving down the road :eek:. Most of that is sorted out now, but still have some vibes around 50mph. I still don't have bumpstops sorted out which is one of the main reason's I haven't really been off road with it yet since lifting. I still need to get my adjustable upper control arms and ext brake lines on, but with the shop hearing some rear pinion noise (I can't differentiate it over the tire noise) I am thinking about just upgrading my axles.

Axles: Right now I have Dana 30/35 combo with WJ knuckles. I am looking for new ones, there is no bolt in options for a ZJ, so I need all new brackets for any axle. Stock has a WMS of 60", Right now I have spacers which also change the bolt pattern from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5. XJ fronts are the same if I can find one someone has already done or the elusive 44. I am looking for a 77 F150 front and 79 F150 rear.

Tires: In the past I have had BFG AT's, Treadwright MT (retreads), and I currently have 32" BFG KM2's

Protection: I have sliders and brush guard (not really protection). Right now for anti-protection I have a Spacers lowering my crossmember, but I have a TC skid plate but still need to install it. I really need a gas tank skid plate since the tank is plastic which is a problem waiting to happen.

That's where she sits right now, and this won't be one of those quick build threads we all love to read.

xaza
April 29th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Have you lowered your transfer case yet? A one inch drop helps get the pinion angle back from lifting it.

gully369
April 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
The KOR cross member/skid plate I have will drop it, I just need to get it on there.

Java
April 29th, 2013, 06:09 PM
why not an 8.8 rear, especially if you're only planning on 35s? cheaper and much easier to find / find parts for. just my 2c!

mattzj98
April 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM
i may know a thing or two about ZJs.. let me know if you need any help..

anyway, why lift the zj if you're going to drop tcase? defeats the purpose. Get an SYE kit, you will love it. then have Bill build you a new shaft. He will get you a deal. set pinion angle and you're done! as for axles, I can sell you a pretty built s88 that will be a complete bolt on for you with detroit lockers and gears, perfect for 35s or even 40s..

The StRanger
April 30th, 2013, 09:29 PM
That sounds like what you need
If not, instead of 77 axle look for 1st gen Bronco axles
Mey not need to shorten

tonkatoy
April 30th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Sound like you need a sye kit and cv driveshaft give me a call 303-781-0554 bill I also cary the sye kits

mattzj98
April 30th, 2013, 11:12 PM
^ thats what i said.. btw Bill.. id like a new driveshaft, but haven't been able to break the ones you built me.. any tips?? lol

gully369
May 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
I was trying to say away from the 8.8 since that is narrower than stock, I've gotten use to 63wms with my spacers even though with a backspacing of 4.5 IIRC on my rubicon wheels.

Mattjz98 - not sure what a s88 is but i really wasn't going to go with a detroit locker as this is my DD

StRanger - not sure if 77 bronco's are the first generation or not but the numbers I have written down for wms are 58 front and 57 rear, which runs into the narrow category again.

An SYE kit would be nice but not quite in the budget right now, even though it will probably save me coin in the long run in driveshafts. I am going to be really tight on the budget. I wasn't having any vibes before dropping the TC. The KOR skid supposedly gives more clearance than stock and drops the TC. My main issue right now is my rear pinion is pointing downward which the rear arms will correct. This all came about since I put rear upper JK arms on the lowers front and rear which are a bit longer than what I needed for the height of my lift.