PDA

View Full Version : Need to unlock the steering.

AccordRanger
May 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I need to get the Ranger moved to the front garage but the problem is I can't find the keys to unlock the steering. I must have gave the guy I sold the f250 to the set I had. What's the quickest and easiest way to unlock it?

RidgeRunner
May 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Pretty sure you're SOL without a key. As far as I know there is no override for the steering lock. You might be able to access it if you take apart the steering column.

AccordRanger
May 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I've been told take a screw driver in the ignition and hammer it in. Will this work? I know it will destroy it, I'm ok with that I just need to move I ASAP.

offroadwonder
May 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Most vehicles are locked near the steering wheel in the column. The easiest way I can think of to get past the lock is to remove the steering wheel and take out the locking plate. To get to the locking mechanism itself would require removing the key cylinder which requires the key. However, I've only dug into non-airbag equipped vehicles. So your Explorer could be very different.

AccordRanger
May 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
It's not the explorer its my ranger. Which doesn't have an air bag so I may have to do it that way.

Rick
May 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Go buy a new cylinder pop the old one out put in new with key and Wa LAAAA

AccordRanger
May 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'm parting it out so I don't want to buy a new cylinder.

Jim
May 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Then go the 2am auto theft route... whack-n-destroy.

Tom
May 9th, 2013, 04:23 PM
What Jim said.

Big screw driver pounded in the key slot and vice grips should do the trick.

offroadwonder
May 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Yep, if destruction is no object... this is the easy-peasy route. My way is completely reversible.

AccordRanger
May 9th, 2013, 05:13 PM

What Jim said.

Big screw driver pounded in the key slot and vice grips should do the trick.

Yep, if destruction is no object... this is the easy-peasy route. My way is completely reversible.

Tried the destruction route. Didn't work. Then tried to get a slide hammer an yank it out. No one had the right attachments. So ended up taking off the steering wheel. Got it done!

Jim
May 9th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Got it done!

Best result!

xaza
May 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Couldn't you just raise front wheels off ground with a couple jacks and roll it out the way? Did that when some idiot parked in front of my garage at my condo, in a private parking lot blocking my Jeep in. Lifted front wheels off ground and dragged it with the Saturn to make enough room. Called cops to come and get it towed but since it was private property and I only owned the apartment they wouldn't. Was parked there for over 3 hours....some people are idiots....some people ramble in threads too...my bad

Jim
May 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Couldn't you just raise front wheels off ground with a couple jacks and roll it out the way?

NICE option!

AccordRanger
May 9th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I wish it has to go through the alley and into the drive way.

scout man
May 9th, 2013, 07:44 PM
My steering has been locked in my scout since my disasterous Spring Creek run. I just took the steering wheel of, pulled the pin that locks into place, and made sure the pin couldnt drop back in! It still there, just being forced into the unlock position.

88Toy
May 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Couldn't you just raise front wheels off ground with a couple jacks and roll it out the way? Did that when some idiot parked in front of my garage at my condo, in a private parking lot blocking my Jeep in. Lifted front wheels off ground and dragged it with the Saturn to make enough room. Called cops to come and get it towed but since it was private property and I only owned the apartment they wouldn't. Was parked there for over 3 hours....some people are idiots....some people ramble in threads too...my bad

Next time, drop it right in front of a fire hydrant then call the cops!

Clickpopboom
June 7th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Knock the tie rod ends off and turn the wheels manually