PDA

View Full Version : Birfield eliminator kit or Birfield service ?

Bunyon & Babe
May 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Toyota ..... looking for a fix on Toyota front sas . Need to have oil seals replaced and the Birfields re packed / serviced . Anyone know where to get this done or anyone on the forum who does this ? Has anyone used /replaced their Birfields with the Yukon Gear Birfield eliminator kit ? Just wondering if it would make more sense to do this since it all has to be taken apart anyway . Would appreciate any thoughts /experiences with this . Thanks

4Runninfun
May 15th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I've done the whole R&R on the front axle on mine. It's a time consuming job but not all that difficult. I've got space and required tools if you want a hand let me know. As far as the birf elim. kit. I haven't seen one first hand. If I was going to spend the money I'd go longfields.

Rick
May 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
pm sent

Java
May 15th, 2013, 02:54 PM
did a service on my FJ60 and helped another member on here do his, it's not too hard but boy is it messy. there is only one specialty tool you need, it's a very big socket for the retaining nut. there are a few good videos on youtube of how to do this. birfields are pretty tough, if you haven't had any problems yet I'd just service them and spend my $$ on spare shafts, just my 2C. if you do it, buy a box of gloves and more paper towels than you think you need, I can't stress enough how messy it is!!

Chris
May 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I did it on my FJ62 as well, as everyone says it's not hard but messy as can be. I never heard of the birfield eliminator kit myself and agree with Paul on saving your money and buying spare shafts if yours are anything like the hefty 60 series shafts.

Haku
May 15th, 2013, 05:54 PM
That Birfield Eliminator Kit is worthless, and I definitely don't recommend using it. They use Dana 44 shafts, which aren't any stronger then the Toyota ones and no one really uses that kit. The only person I have seen do it had this happen....

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/ocdropzone/locker%20install/brokenBEFA.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/ocdropzone/locker%20install/brokenBEF.jpg
I'n not saying that is inevitable, but they definitely are more destructive when they fail and I think sticking with the way the Toyota engineers designed it is better.You still have to do all the same stuff with oil seals with anyways, so it doesn't really help with your situation.

If you are upgrading shafts, there is only really once choice in my opinion and that is 30 Spline Longfields. They are sort of pricey, but worth every penny and have a true lifetime warranty on them. They will ask questions because they like to know how it happened, but will always replace them even if you sell your truck to another person later. There are similar products from Nitro and Trail Gear that are the same shafts, but the small increase in price with Longfield for their customer service is worth every penny.

The stock birfs generally hold up to 35" tires and smaller, but it might be peace of mind insurance to upgrade them. Step up to 37's and I would say they become mandatory. The 30 Splines are as strong as a Dana 60 shaft and are a direct fit.

As for the Axle R and R, its a greasy messy job, but its not really that hard. After doing it a few times, I can manage it in a few hours, but the first time will probably take you most of the day. You can also get away with doing one side at a time, so you don't have to do it all in one stint. Technically you are supposed to use a trunnion alignment tool(which Marlin sells if you want to do it), but I never have used one and haven't had a problem. Hardest part is getting everything clean of grease, and getting the shaft back in the birfields after you clean them out. Otherwise, its just bolting and unbolting and making sure you put it back together in the right order.

I'd be happy to help you out and advise you if you wanted some help. I have a 54mm socket you can borrow, but they aren't that expensive and you can find them at most Auto Parts store (I know they have them at Tool King for sure) and they are good to have anyways. You'll need a brass drift to knock the bearing races out, but otherwise a normal set of sockets and some jack stands are all you need to do this job.

The other thing you need to make sure of is that you use a quality rebuild kit that has good Japanese bearings in them. The sure bet is going with Marlin Crawler, and staying away from the Trail Gear one which I've heard people have major problems with. You can source the Marlin kit from Marlin themselves, or there are resellers elsewhere. I think its "Maintenance May" at Marlin, which means they are doing specials on those kits. If you haven't had the wheel bearings replaced recently, its probably worth getting the full kit, but if they have been done in the last 3 years you can probably just do the one that replaces the trunnions and has new gaskets, seals and felts.

The late Mr. Brody used to host days where the Toyota guys got together to do this together, and I'd be down for hosting that myself as long as it doesn't conflict with work. This is a good thing to know how to do as an offroad Toyota owner, and its totally something that a shade tree mechanic can do.

Chris
May 15th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I think most people prefer Marlin's seals too which are said to be better than Toyota. True on the time, I did one side at a time, first side took a good part of the day, the second half as long. Purple Power is great for degreasing but will also take your shin off. Not that I learned that the hard way. :erm:

Haku
May 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Trail Gear actually came out with a new comparable seal to Marlin's, but Marlin is the tried and true version and it comes in their rebuild kits, so its a pretty easy choice IMHO.

Definitely the case with Purple Power. That stuff is great, but don't get it on you and don't breath it in when it sprays. I actually had good luck leaving my birfs in a bucket of Gasoline overnight to get rid of the old grease. Brody's old trick of just using the new grease to push the old out works pretty well too, and you don't have to disassemble the whole birfield to do it. It doesn't get absolutely all of it out though, but enough to do the job. Getting the shaft back in the birf when reassebling is a pain for sure, and takes lots of greasy fiddling and messing about with a hose clamp and screwdrivers. One of them literally took me 45 minutes of frustration to get done once.

Bunyon & Babe
May 16th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks so much for the advice guys .4Runninfun and Haku , thanks for the offers to help me out .I'll be getting the Marlin kit for sure after reading these posts . Haku ,if you would be up for hosting a Toy day for this , I'll buy all the beer and pizza . I'll get back with you guys when I get the kit delivered and see if one of you is still available for doing this . THANKS

Haku
May 16th, 2013, 11:44 PM
For sure....just let me know. Hahaha....you get to do all the greasy stuff though :p

Bunyon & Babe
May 17th, 2013, 12:03 AM
NO problem !! Goes with the territory of learning how to do it :lmao: Thanks , I'll be in touch when the kit comes .

Rick
May 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I'll buy all the beer and pizzaalways willing to learn:D:D:D

Rob
May 17th, 2013, 09:05 PM
as everyone says it's not hard but messy as can be.

X3

True on the time :erm:

Especially if you forget to put the brake dust shield back and get everything back together to the hub (because Chris wasn't on top of his supervising duties that day :D. )