PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrap for wheels

sunk
May 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM
So I am looking to vinyl wrap my current wheels on my car so that they are black. They are inexpensive and look fairly easy to install, but I cannot find many reviews for longevity. I would assume they get beat up, but they are cheap and I can change the color when I get bored with it.

I have seen several DIY kits available and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them.

AccordRanger
May 20th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I don't know about vinyl kits. But I would use plasti dip. It's about $6 a can at Home Depot. It peels off like vinyl if you do about 6 coats. Hasn't chipped yet even with all my playing in the dirt.

Jim
May 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM
http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2011-12-10--trail-bunce-school/img_3997.jpg

Deanna had this on her rig. I think it was the spray plasti dip. Not sure she's online here though. She liked the stuff and said "IF" it becomes chipped you just start a peel and the stuff comes off in sheets (so it's easy to re-do) - but doesn't get chipped easily.

Chris
May 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Kaleb used it in his Hummer grill too, not bad looking if done right. It's all the rage on 4Runner forums for blacking stuffout but most, if not all, of the references I've read are on trucks that never see dirt. I can't imagine it'd hurt to try, I understand it really does peel off.