PDA

View Full Version : U-turn on a steep slope

ILuvtheMountains
May 21st, 2013, 03:43 PM
I recently ran Sevenmile (for the third time in as many weeks) and have had one nail-biting moment each time and it was at the very same place. I drove up a very steep slope and the trail abruptly ended with enough room to turn around, but the area was far from flat. I could have backed down al ittle ways, but there was no place to turn around that was not on this steep slope, and I was not able to back down the entire way. I realize that you want to avoid U turning on a steep slope if at all possible, but what happens if it can't be avoided? What is the best method for completing a U-turn on a steep slope?

My thoughts:
If I am going up slope then completing as much of the turn forwards is best. Turning left makes the weight want to shift right (think rolling a car turning too fast) while gravity wants to pull me left (direction of the down hill). But then, if you don't have enough room, you must eventually go in reverse. When reversing, should I try to keep going to hopefully keep the wheels underneath the truck, or do you back straight up and then turn only when going forward to use the logic in the first sentence of this paragraph?

Does this make any sense? This is tough question to ask without using diagrams, hand gestures, etc.

Native ZJ
May 21st, 2013, 05:57 PM
scary situation, I'v been in the same predicament and it seems nothing feels good

Chris
May 21st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I hate that situation and I hate backing up. That being said I back up simply because flopping is not on my "to-do" list and if I feel too tippy I always find a better alternative.

xaza
May 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM
It's different in different situations. The key is knowing what your rig is capable of and not going beyond it. I like to turn around and run some trails/obstacles in reverse, keeps me adept for when I have to back through sketchy stuff. ie, backing down a 100 yards of sloping ice this last weekend.

Hypoid
May 21st, 2013, 10:18 PM
I'm not that fond of being off camber. I tend to go very, very, very, slow.

I think it does not matter which direction you go, when the shortest dimension of your wheel base crosses the fall line. Best you can hope for, is to keep your CG low, by not letting the body bounce.

The StRanger
May 21st, 2013, 10:35 PM
Got an old school camber level, need to find the magic angle
My dad had one in his old jeep for years and knew when stop...

The StRanger
May 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
I hate that situation and I hate backing up. That being said I back up simply because flopping is not on my "to-do" list and if I feel too tippy I always find a better alternative.

If I cant walk it and dont know how far it is Ill back up it.
Id rather back up and drive down than drive up and have to back down.
But thats just me !!

Rick
May 21st, 2013, 10:39 PM
If I cant walk it and dont know how far it is Ill back up it.
Id rather back up and drive down than drive up and have to back down.
But thats just me !!yup!!!!

glacierpaul
May 22nd, 2013, 05:34 AM
I make all passengers get out first, but every situation can be different. You may ask passengers to lean to the uphill side of the vehicle, while in reverse in the off camber turn. I think the first thing is to make sure your composure is good first, calm - slow - steady. Although sometimes you may need the speed to burn out of it too. Try that situation in a huge Ford truck :)

Robert B
May 22nd, 2013, 06:25 PM
just so you know the whole turning weight shift does not work at these speeds and I do most of my turning when backing up the hill actually and very little in forward gears........usually just the first bit and the final bit but yes they are all different and you just have to feel them out and know what your truck can handle ... if you have sliders you can tie off to a very sturdy tree and this makes the turn harder as you have a nearly tight strap but if it does try to go over it will stop when the strap is taunt and you can get it back down and try something different or finish it like that depending on the hill and situation........... best I can give you on the hypothetical standpoint

glacierpaul
May 23rd, 2013, 03:58 AM
Earth Anchor or strap held by others or vehicles too if no trees.