PDA

View Full Version : When it rains it pours...

4Runninfun
June 2nd, 2013, 11:59 AM
ugh. well I got the transmission in my truck squared away. And things are much better now. But while addressing that issue I found another! :bang:

looks like bad spider gears. When I turn the differential open I can hear them making noise. When I lock it up it goes away. I have the 3rd pulled and I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Anyone familiar with toyota 3rds willing to help me pull this apart and take a look?

RidgeRunner
June 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
You say it goes away when it's locked. What kind of locker?

Where are you located?

4Runninfun
June 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
it's an ARB.

I'm in monument, but willing to travel.

RidgeRunner
June 2nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
It's been a while since I pulled an ARB apart but I'm pretty familiar with Toyota diff set up. I'd be happy to help you take a look at it but I'm in the middle of putting the head back on my 22re, and I'm up in Thornton. What's your schedule for getting it looked at?

ARBs are supposed to be pretty bombproof but I have heard of a few broken spider gear pins. Pretty rare though.

Give me a call if you'd like. If I don't answer, I'm probably up to my elbows in oil, but I'll call you back. 3o3-8I7-9o45

- Dave

Patrolman
June 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
I am familiar with the toyota diffs, but not the arbs. Do they still use a spider?

4Runninfun
June 2nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks again for the call Dave!

After tearing everything down, it looks like the pins holding the spider gears have been worn a bit. Nothing terrible just enough to allow the gears to move a little more freely, and make a little noise. So looks like I've dodged a bullet.

Jeff, yes the ARB's still use spider gears. The carrier is fairly similar to a regular toyota carrier with the exception of the locking mechanism of course.

Patrolman
June 2nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Glad it should be an easy fix!

RidgeRunner
June 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Glad I was able to help.