PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Transmission help

xaza
June 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Wifes 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 has started having some issues. Took to a stealership and they wanted to replace tranny, took to tranny shop they wanted to rebuild it. Trouble codes are for pressure issues and torque convertor lock up. It is dying when slowing down and has once overheated. Have tracked issue down to be the tcc solenoid (I think) but I can't find anything to tell me where it is. Found the part at NAPA (I think) for $120 and that sounds a lot better than a tranny swap. Anybody here familiar with this tranny and the location of solenoid? There is also a mechanical valve that is controlled by tcc solenoid that can be sticking and it is recommended to pull it and clean it. Location of that? I figure it is right behind solenoid. Any help is appreciated.

Rick
June 5th, 2013, 09:01 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=2001+jeep+grand+cherokee+tcc+solenoid+loc ation&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DlKvUeGfDuPbyAHg-YCwDw&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=638...... This might help?????

Rick
June 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/yet-another-grand-cherokee-tranny-issue-31703.html

xaza
June 5th, 2013, 05:50 PM
that second one is one of the ones I found to help me web diagnose my problem, thanks Rick...first one got me some good pics. Still unsure if the valve body has to be removed, ?

Rick
June 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM
:thumb:

Popsgarage
June 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
It should not have to come out. The solenoids are underneath and in front of/behind the valve body if I remember correctly. What trans is it. AW4? The AW4 has some neutral safety switch issues. Said switch mounts on the side of the trans and tends to get so filled with gunk that the contacts no longer touch. I think Matt's done this on his ZJ and has posted a write up on it. This is all dependent on what trans the rig has, AW4 being one of the most common autos.

xaza
June 6th, 2013, 06:48 PM
It is a WJ, has 45re I think

Popsgarage
June 6th, 2013, 10:49 PM
That one I can't help ya with.