PDA

View Full Version : Annual Cleanup Run - Devil's Canyon & Barbour Fork

Jackie
June 11th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Any interest in doing it again this year? I haven't seen any posts about it yet this year, so thought I'd start this thread. We would need people to volunteer to organize/schedule with the FS and also a leader to lead each trail. I've never done that, but I would be willing to help organize other aspects of the run...

Any interest???

Jim
June 11th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Certainly. We're committed for them. I've been slacking (thanks for the nudge!). Let me look through a couple e-mails from the FS...

Brad
June 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I have tried emailing Brandt but alas no response. I know I am committed to the sand hills run then Pete's memorial the sat after. Generally Brandt did not recommend cleaning up the day they open the trails as they still have to clear any downed trees and perform any necessary trail maintenance. I am open every Sunday (except the 23rd) if you guys would like me to lead again. :thumb:

Jackie
June 11th, 2013, 08:32 PM
We have a LOT of new members in the forum this year. For YOU - I'll give you the gist of what this is:

-The two trails we have adopted are Devil's Canyon and Barbour Fork.
-Many members decide to do both trails in the same day.
-Many peopole decide to make a camping trip out of it.
-Our group shows up at the FS office in Idaho Springs and listens to the FS safety speach. (Required).
-Then we sign-in the names of all the people in our group. (Strongly suggested).
-Signing in allows us to be FS employees making EXACTLY $0 per hour for the day! (Suks, but - hey... it's what we do!)
-We separate into groups to the two different trails and go pick up garbage.
-We have lunch - which is a whole nuther organizational thing.
-We fill our rigs full of garbage found on the trails (and sometimes you find crap like furniture and appliances that need to be loaded into a bigger rig than you might be driving).
-We use GPS spotting to mark anything suspicious like bottles filled with a liquid and report it back to the FS. You shouldn't touch anything like that.
-It's always a good time!
-The two trails are easy/medium. Families with children are welcome too. The kids get the same hourly wage of $0.00.
-VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!

Hypoid
June 11th, 2013, 08:54 PM
When do these trails open?

Rob
June 11th, 2013, 08:56 PM
When do these trails open?

The area is closed to motorized vehicles from December 15 -June 16 to minimize disturbances during the elk calving season. All vehicles must be either street-legal or registered annually through Colorado State Parks' OHV Registration Program. All motorized vehicles are restricted to open routes designated for their use. Contact your local District Office for a copy of the local Motor Vehicle Use Map. No camping or shooting at the trailhead area.

Jackie
June 11th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Well then, they should be opening soon.

Volunteers... RAISE YOUR HANDS.

Brad - Which one do you wnt to lead?

Patrolman
June 11th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I am usually down for this. Depends on what date.

The StRanger
June 11th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Im leaving out fri for spokane. Wont be back till July...

Jim
June 11th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Trail Opening: A message Brant says... the Seasonal gates on both areas are not open until June 15th, regardless of weather conditions. The closure is for a sensitive elk calving area so the area doesn’t open until that date even though the road may be free of snow…Plan you trips anytime after June 15th.

Jackie
June 11th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Well - that means we can't do this until NEXT WEEK!

Usuaally it takes more time for this group to plan than this kind of thing. So we are late to the party IMHO.:frown:

I hope everyone interested will post up soon what you might be interested in volunteering to do.:)

Brad
June 11th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I am the most experienced with Devils Canyon. Probably best to stick to what I know.

Great list Jackie! That summed it up perfectly. Also keep in mind we do pick up a lot of glass so sturdy footwear, jeans or sturdy pants and good gloves are strongly recommended.

We also need new FR 4x4 adopt a trail signage on DC as someone put a shotgun round through it and the stay the trail signage.

Rob
June 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Usually it takes more time for this group to plan than this kind of thing. So we are late to the party IMHO.

It might actually be better to do it in mid-July. We usually do it soon after the trail opens and there isn't much to clean up as there hasn't been much use since the fall cleanup.

Brad
June 12th, 2013, 06:03 AM
I agree. Seemed the fall run was a lot heavier. Would also recommend we push the fall run closer to October.

glacierpaul
June 12th, 2013, 06:07 AM
We have always split into groups at both trails I believe. So I would be Brads #2 leader for DC again, unless there needs to be a leader for Barbour Forks. The timing for planning is not so good as fires are concerned, I am of the mind we will hit stage 2 or maybe 3 this year and maybe before the end of July :(. I would be up for the 23 or the 30 of June, but when ever we decide is cool. I agree with Robs take, as the first clean up is light duty. I can utilize my J-20 again if that works for dumping at the end of the day, worked great last year!

Java
June 12th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I'm in, these runs are a lot of fun. If needed I'd do a trail mess up run so we can start the cleanup earlier.

carpenle
June 12th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Depending on the dates, I should be able to make it.

Robert B
June 12th, 2013, 12:08 PM
i can lead the BF team like last time if its needed :D so I guess jim or brad or whoever gets info from the forest service first keep me in the loop :)

sunk
June 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I would not be able to attend if this is planned at the end of June (Hawaii). If this is planned for July I know that I will be able to make it.

Last year we planned it right after the gates opened and we found several downed trees, I do feel that we should be available for trail maintenance as well as clean up.

KnuckleHead
June 12th, 2013, 07:09 PM
If the rig is ready ill fallow Brad again on DC. Maybe we will come across another tv like last year.

xaza
June 12th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I am on-call next 2 weekends, should be able to make it if it is planned beyond that.

Jackie
June 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM
It looks to me like Brad and Robert are our fearless leaders! Thanks to you both for volunteering. Maybe you guys could put your heads together and pick a date.

Robert B
June 12th, 2013, 10:01 PM
sounds good !! I will check a few things and then hit brad up

Patrolman
June 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Keep in mind that 2 weeks from this weekend is the Brody Memorial. Other than the next 2 weekends, I am likely free.

Jim
June 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Regarding signage... We had this thread from a bit ago - worth checking out again...
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18367-New-Stay-The-Trail-Posters

Would folks like me to see about obtaining signage or is someone "on it"?

glacierpaul
June 13th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Regarding signage... We had this thread from a bit ago - worth checking out again...
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?18367-New-Stay-The-Trail-Posters

Would folks like me to see about obtaining signage or is someone "on it"?

Jim, we have to all sign waivers at the rangers office, they will give us the signage the morning of the clean up, as well as a good prep/safety talk :).

AccordRanger
June 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM
If this is mid-late July I may have the exploder up and running. So hopefully I can make it.

Fordguy77
June 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Should be home for a while, and depending on the date, have a variety of rigs to choose from! Be great to get out and wheel again. That said if it happens soon, I can steal Kateys Dakota.

Brad
June 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I am looking at July 20th. I will check with Brant if that will work.

Jim
June 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I am looking at July 20th.

That date is open for me. I stuck a tentative for cleanup on my cal.

Rob
June 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I am looking at July 20th.

There's a run scheduled for that date.

Hypoid
June 13th, 2013, 11:00 PM
We set up a poll on another board. The dates with the most votes were selected/scheduled. As it turned out, we had three clean up days over the season, with more people having the opportunity to participate.

Just a thought. :)

Brad
June 14th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Hmmm. Did not see that Rob.

Pathrat
June 17th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone.
Having done a few of these runs, and knowing how you get yahoos up there around 4th of July, how about the 27th? There should be stuff to clean up after six weeks of the trail being open and a major holiday.

Pathrat
June 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM
And I thought I would cash in on my Stay the Trail FB page fan of the week with the post I just put up:

Hi! My off-road club here in Colorado adopted a few trails and it will soon be time for the first of our annual clean-ups. Apparently someone decorated our Stay the Trail sign with a shotgun blast. What is the best way for us to get another trailhead sign? Thank you

Brad
June 17th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I am leaning that date too however I am scheduled to work. Should be able to find a way to get it off though. ;)

Shane
June 17th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Dont mind helping out just depends on the dates. How are the trails?

Shane
June 17th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Checked out traildamage jeep should make it.

ExplorerTom
June 17th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Depending on date I'm interested.

While on Twin Cone my 7 year old daughter asked about the "adopt a trail" signs that we saw. She suggested that "we" ( as in the family) adopt a trail. I told her that you guys adopt trails and we can tag along to see what's its like first. She was happy with that answer.

glacierpaul
June 18th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Tom, that is awesome your kiddo is thinking that way:thumb: Tell your daughter being a steward to our mountains and trails is something you can do with out a club. I have taught my kids to pick up all trash and we even do our own clean up runs alone. We usually find lots of brass casings too, which is one of the rewards for cleaning up, since we get to recycle it for $$, so they literally get rewarded darn near every time we go out.

Shane, your Jeep should have no problems on either trail.

Stephanie, we get yahoos up here on a daily basis :)

Rick
June 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Depending on date I'm interested.x2!

Racerchef
June 18th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Well then, they should be opening soon.

Volunteers... RAISE YOUR HANDS.

Brad - Which one do you wnt to lead?

I would help out. Just depends on date!

dr350jja
June 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
No date set for this yet?

Brad
June 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I heard from Brant, but it was for the 20th. Why don't we just set it for the 27th.

Rick
June 18th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Why don't we just set it for the 27thjust put it on th calendar with a question mark

ExplorerTom
June 18th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I heard from Brant, but it was for the 20th. Why don't we just set it for the 27th.

July 27 works for me.

xaza
June 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I am on-call week of July 20th, 27th works good for me :D

Jackie
June 19th, 2013, 06:48 AM
27th is looking good for me.

Brad
June 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I posted it up and sent a message to Brant.

Brad
June 20th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Heard back from Brant. He is going to be helping another volunteer group and has asked me to give the safety speech and take care of the paperwork. So we are good to go!

Rick
June 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM
:thumb:

Pathrat
June 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Stay the Trail will be sending me new posters to put up.

Jackie
June 23rd, 2013, 08:38 PM
I'll try to remember to bring a staple gun! I remember it being an issue in the past.;)

xaza
June 23rd, 2013, 09:08 PM
We had some employee changes at work and am not sure exactly how it will effect my on-call weeks, will still try to be there

Brad
June 23rd, 2013, 11:08 PM
I'll try to remember to bring a staple gun! I remember it being an issue in the past.;)
Somehow I forget mine every time. :thumb:

glacierpaul
June 24th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Somehow I forget mine every time. :thumb:

That's why I always have my De Walt cordless tools, and a box of screws with me :) and some assorted nails.

Brad
June 24th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Good idea, adding that to my list!

glacierpaul
June 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Wouldn't it be great to have ALL of our tools at our disposal while out and about :). I wish the had a tool APP:lmao:

Jim
July 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hey folks, I wish to put up a request: Matt Taylor of Clear Creek County Mapping Department wishes to join in / ride along on the cleanup run. He lives in the area and has never been on the ?Devil's Canyon? trail and would like to see it. In talking with him for a bit, I'd be happy to have him ride with me but I will be out of town. Might someone be willing to lend a seat to him?

Some background: I met him at the Larimer County "request for info" meeting for target shooting changes:
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19237-Front-Range-Target-Shoot-public-feedback-wanted

If one or two folks pipe up with an open seat I'll exchange his contact info to work out the simple details.

Thanks,
Jim

glacierpaul
July 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Matt is a friend and past customer of mine, as well as a neighbor albeit from York Gulch :). If I am able to do it, I can take him along with me.

Jim
July 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks Paul.

To those who are "in", should Paul not make the cleanup, anyone else have an open seat they'd share?

Brad
July 9th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I always have extra seats. Neil might be joining me but Jenn has plans. :thumb:

Jim
July 9th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks Brad. I'll send some info to Matt.

Backcountryislife
July 15th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I could always carry another as well, Abby always sits in back with Tuck.

Pathrat
July 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
***I have Stay the Trail posters x 2. I would like to send them to someone who is definitely going. Please let me know via email: pathologyrat@yahoo.com
thank you***

Chris
July 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
For those who haven't made a run yet this is a good chance to get the wheeler badge. ;)

Brad
July 22nd, 2013, 05:07 PM
I ran up to the ranger station today and picked up the newest MVUM'S.
i also have the documents for everyone to fill out. :thumb:

Shane
July 22nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
I have to work this Saturday so not able to participate on this one, Will their be any more events like this later in the year?

Brad
July 22nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Yes, there is a fall clean up run as well.

Shane
July 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
I will keep an eye out for it.

The StRanger
July 22nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
I think I finally got the wife to join me on this one
So I'll have three and a box of " cookies "

Rick
July 22nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
I think I finally got the wife to join me on this one
So I'll have three and a box of " cookies "
Sweet!cookies at last:lmao:

The StRanger
July 22nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Now for what kind !!!

glacierpaul
July 23rd, 2013, 07:04 AM
For those who haven't made a run yet this is a good chance to get the wheeler badge. ;) and the volunteer badge to boot!:woot:

Jackie
July 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
I might have to show up just to see that cookies do exist!!!

(Not sure we can make it yet).

Chris
July 23rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
I haven't RSVP'd but plan to be there with Barb if things don't get in the way!

carpenle
July 23rd, 2013, 04:59 PM
I should have the jeep fixed, so baring any issues, I should be able to make this run.

xaza
July 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
Wife and daughter will be at their bow safety class that day, guess I will have to plan on getting to fall cleanup. Speaking of Fall Cleanup, are we going to run it a bit earlier this year?

Rob
July 23rd, 2013, 11:39 PM
Now for what kind !!!

Lots. :)

Brad
July 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Only a few days away! We need to shore up some of those maybes! :thumb:

The StRanger
July 24th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Lots. :)

Woww. Bakers choice ..
Cool !

Rob
July 24th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Woww. Bakers choice ..

Can you get chocolate in there somewhere? :)

The StRanger
July 24th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Can you get chocolate in there somewhere? :)

Just chocolate...

Rick
July 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Im pretty easy about cookies,I do like a good chocolate chip or white chocolate chip though:woot:

The StRanger
July 25th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Ill come up with somethin !!

The StRanger
July 26th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Hows about a Batch of, Peanut butter, A batch of Chocolate Chip for Rob & a batch of White Chocolate & Macadamia nut for Rick ( never done them before )

The StRanger
July 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Hear we might have Rain tomorrow afternoon .

Rob
July 26th, 2013, 11:22 PM
You're my new best friend, Sam. :)

Cr33p3r
July 27th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Come on 7 am so I can get home and get the truck loaded to go!

glacierpaul
July 27th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Come on 7 am so I can get home and get the truck loaded to go!

Cool Sean, look forward to meeting you! If you can, bring the sand blast gun.

40% chance of rain showers after noon, we have been getting rain daily up here. :)

Rick
July 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Hows about a Batch of, Peanut butter, A batch of Chocolate Chip for Rob & a batch of White Chocolate & Macadamia nut for Rick ( never done them before )YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AWESOME COOKIES! Thank You,they were very Good!!!!!!!! Also Great to meet you Sam!!!

Jim
July 27th, 2013, 05:39 PM
AWESOME COOKIES! Thank You,they were very Good!!!!!!!!

How'd the Dark Side treat ya?

:D

Rick
July 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
its funner over there!!!!:D

SubAlpine
August 21st, 2013, 09:20 PM
I am so sorry to be a noob here. I did not see the dates for this run in the first page, and dont have the time to read through all 5 pages. I am interested for sure! You are either a part of the problem or part of the solution.
Thanks all...

Jim
August 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM
When is the fall cleanup run to be?

xaza
August 21st, 2013, 09:43 PM
I think we were going to try to plan it a little earlier this year. That helps since Fall cleanup tends to have a lot more trash than Spring because of amount of time trails are open between. Trail closes Dec 2 so Middle of Sept would be about middle of open season.

Backcountryislife
August 22nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
Myself, I'd wait a bit longer... we did the "spring" cleanup just a few weeks ago. I'd rather do the cleanup closer to the end of when people usually stop coming up (like october at least).
Also, not sure why but it seems to be seeing less use this year... no idea what that is about. Maybe people are scared of the wild horses??? :D
I'm up there 2x a week riding bikes & I've seen minimal trash compared to the past.

Brad
August 28th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I was thinking October. Probably late. Weekend after the Moab run?

Backcountryislife
August 28th, 2013, 02:36 PM
That sounds more ideal to me. I'm going to be in Moab 1st weekend of oct, might just have to come back again that weekend too!

Hypoid
September 9th, 2013, 11:09 PM
I think we were going to try to plan it a little earlier this year. That helps since Fall cleanup tends to have a lot more trash than Spring because of amount of time trails are open between. Trail closes Dec 2 so Middle of Sept would be about middle of open season.Have the contact person check the Adopt-a-Road agreement that they signed. The one I signed for RMFTC says:

Provide a record of volunteer names, number of hours worked (including travel time to and from project), and work accomplished for each trip/volunteer day on the adopted road to the Forest Service before September 30th each year.

Brad
September 10th, 2013, 12:10 AM
I will email Brant tomorrow and check.

Brad
September 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
Heard back from Brant. As long as we are planning on a October clean up run he will just add the hours to this years total. The fiscal year ends September 30th for the forest service as well as the govt. I am going to post another planning thread for next month.

Backcountryislife
September 21st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Just curious, what exactly is the purpose of the hours/ volunteer tracking from this?

sunk
September 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
So is there a date for the fall cleanup yet?

Max
September 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19867-Fall-adopt-a-trail-clean-up-run

Funrover
September 23rd, 2013, 01:14 PM
Trail is a bit rougher right now since the rains

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19876-Babour-Forks-9-22-2013

94ToyBear
October 24th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Ill have a free seat if anyone want to tag along. I'm in denver if you want to head from here.

94ToyBear
October 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I confused this for the other run sorry.