PDA

View Full Version : Axle Shaft noise in Rear Diff

Shane
June 26th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Since I have had the 2000 Grand Cherokee it has always had a little noise coming from the rear diff. I replaced the axle seals and bearing last week because the axle seals were leaking and had a little bearing noise LR. So replaced axle seals and bearings on both sides. The problem RR axle grab it at 12 & 6, 9 & 3 no movement. LF axle 9 & 3 no movement at 12 & 6 movement and you can here the axle inside the diff at the ring gear. I wont be able to pull the diff cover till saturday still have to use it for work will the van is back in the shop. Rear diff is a D44 with limited slip. It is not causing any drivability issues or vibrations as of yet just noise. Any thoughts I no it is had to diag with out pulling the diff cover just need to know what I should be looking for or if someone has had this same issue. Thanks

Rick
June 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM
pinion bearing?????

Shane
June 26th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I was possibly thinking side bearing? I think that might explain the axle movement you are at 12 and 6. It is werid some times it is more prominate then others. It is louder when I first start to drive it in the morning and less proinate later in the day?

Java
June 27th, 2013, 06:50 AM
a loose bearing cap might do it too, but that's just a guess. have you opened the diff?

Shane
June 27th, 2013, 08:07 AM
have you opened the diff?
Not yet, planning on it this weekend I have to drive it for work while the work van is in the shop. Hopefully it is nothing to serious my pockets are kinda J Empty E P right now.

glacierpaul
June 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Not yet, planning on it this weekend I have to drive it for work while the work van is in the shop. Hopefully it is nothing to serious my pockets are kinda J Empty E P right now.:lmao: man do I know that!

Shane
June 27th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Ok so after a little bit of thinking (head is still smoking), if the axle seals and bearings have been replaced before is it possible that they put the longer axle shaft on the right and the shorter on the left? If I remember correctly the longer axle shaft should be on the left and the shorter on the right. When I did the seals and bearings I pulled the right axle first replaced the bearings and seal then installed before I pulled the left. This would make sence why I would have movement on the left axle shaft Any thoughts?

Java
June 27th, 2013, 08:25 PM
do you have measurements for them? you could pull one and measure it. if not, pull both and see. if so, that would be a GREAT fix, no $$$$$!!!!!

Shane
June 27th, 2013, 08:45 PM
i don't have the measurments, I think I will pull the left axle and measure it on Sat morning. Hopefully that is all that it is.
I would still have empty pockets:frown:

Hypoid
June 29th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I'm not even taking a guess at this one. I would like to see pictures of what you find. :)

Shane
June 29th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Well pulled the diff cover off of the rear axle and had the wife shake the tire at 12 and 6. You can see the axle moving up and down at the spider gears so it looks looks like the side gear it taost. From all of the noise it makes it did not have to much metal on the magnet. It also toasted the new bearing on the left side which is to be expected with as much movement that it had. So now I need to see if I want to rebuild that one or take the chance of getting one from a yard. I dont know how to attach a video of the axle movement or else I would. Thats it for now.

Hypoid
June 30th, 2013, 09:47 AM
That makes me wonder if something is bent.

There is no shortage of theses axles in the yards. The $125 to get out the door includes brake parts as well. :)

Shane
July 1st, 2013, 07:30 AM
This Was the only way I could get the video I took uploaded to were it would play right. You can see all of the movement it has on that left side.

https://vimeo.com/69446774

Hypoid
July 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM
That looks pretty worn out!

I heard the LKQ is having a half price sale, on the 4th of July...

Shane
July 1st, 2013, 08:04 PM
Besides being worn out it isn't even the original diff for the vehicle. The factory diff for the jeep was a limited slip and it and has one legger. Still did not do to bad in the sand hills though. Not going to push my luck driving right now just have to wait till I get it fixed hopefully only down for a couple of weaks.