PDA

View Full Version : Middle St. Vrain/Coney Flats - 7/4

JFjeld
June 26th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm off 7/4 and will have family visiting from out of state. I'd really like to hit Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats, provided they are open. I've not run these trails before, and I don't run trails solo.

Anyone else interested?

Max
June 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM
If I don't have anything going on on the 4th of July and you still haven't found a trail buddy I'd come along.

dscowell
June 26th, 2013, 02:02 PM
If I don't have work or anything in the mourning I would love to join if I can get another family member to go with me. By then I'm thinking I should have a little bit of lift installed as well!

JFjeld
June 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Its been brought to my attention that these trails are not currently open per the http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5339508 website. I'll keep an eye on the status and plan to call the Ranger Station to confirm whether the trail is open next week. If its closed, I'm cool to do a different moderate trail in the area.

GaryG
June 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Love those trails, its been middle of July when we've run them before, the water crossing up on top can be very deep early.

alexb
June 26th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Someone (Rob?) said that they were going to open on the 29th of June.

Brucker
June 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Gate is closed still as of Sunday. Web site lists it as closed due to wet conditions.

Max
June 26th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I am confident that it will be open this weekend, and definitely by the 4th.

Rob
June 26th, 2013, 10:13 PM

Yep, and I just checked the Longmont-based club's website. They're still scheduled for the opening run this Saturday. So they should be open on the 4th. I'll go if it's posted as a run.

JFjeld
June 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Yep, and I just checked the Longmont-based club's website. They're still scheduled for the opening run this Saturday. So they should be open on the 4th. I'll go if it's posted as a run.
How does a run go from 'planning' to 'official'? I'm planning to run a trail for sure that day. If for some reason Middle St. Vrain/Coney Flats are closed, T-33 Plane Crash and/or Ironclads would be the backup plan. I'm pretty sure someone from last weekend's run (Silver JKU Rubicon on 37s) had indicated he ran T-33 and Ironclads already.

glacierpaul
June 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Jason, click on 'trail forums' at the top of the page, click on trail run planning, viola!

JFjeld
June 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Jason, click on 'trail forums' at the top of the page, click on trail run planning, viola!
Right...this thread is already in the 'Trail Run Planning' section. But how does it become an official run? Do I just add it to the 'Trail Forum | Planned Trail Runs' section, do the mods have to agree to the run, etc?

Rick
June 27th, 2013, 10:25 AM
do the mods have to agree to the run,Nope. click calendar then post your run on the day you want with all info

Mr6dwg
June 27th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I know there is a run going on Sunday. I was going on Saturday with a different group. I will update here when I get back home as to whether or not the trail opened. Also, if you want to go on the 4th, I would probably be up for doing that too. I will look for your run if you post it.

JFjeld
June 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Alright, folks, our July 4th run is on the calendar. I've included the pertinent information and my cell phone. Look forward to seeing you.

Jim
June 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM
But how does it become an official run? Do I just add it to the 'Trail Forum | Planned Trail Runs' section, do the mods

It's all you baby (or whomever jumps to get it done first) - no mods needed!

When a run looks to be solidified via the "planning" forum / thread, then create a "Planned" thread and also a "Calendar" entry. The Calendar entry is the formal listing - What Trail, Meeting Place & Time and Who's in. The "Planned" thread is hashing over any last points and thoughts now that a run has been formalized on the calendar. Sometimes not much happens in the Planned thread - sometimes a LOT happens.

EDIT: It is handy (but not required) to list the "Planned" thread's URL in the Calendar entry and vise versa - this way folks can single-click between the two areas.

Max
July 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
How long does this trail normally take? I haven't done it recently and it never mattered before.

Rick
July 3rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
How long does this trail normally take?8 rigs and no issues I would count on at least 3 to 4 hours maybe less.....Its not that long of a trail,but everybody likes to play on the obstacles and at the creek crossing so that takes up time

GaryG
July 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
How long does this trail normally take?
Last July was just over 4 hours and we did it fast

xaza
July 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM
Depth of water at crossing can be concerning, I have a little truck...pretty dry year so we should be good. If I have to turn back at crossing I wouldn't expect you guys to do the same unless you had to. Fairly short trail even if you take MSV all the way to end and double back to Coney.