PDA

View Full Version : Best Mosquito Spray?

Java
July 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm staying in a yurt in State Forest State park shortly and when we were up there recently the mosquitos were insane, we got swarmed in the early evening and morning. What would you recommend for a spray? I always use Off, wondering if there is anything better. the caveat to it is that they have a lot of bear issues at the yurts and it can't be scented at all.  you can't use citronella candles for the same reason. thanks!!

Squshiee1
July 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Just look for the ones with the most DEEEEEET! I don't have much experience with bug spray, i guess its somthing about my blood type that keeps them away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2tFcuPnDo

dscowell
July 2nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
I use bullfrog that doubles as a sunscreen always seems to work good

something I really wanna try is these guys.
http://www.exofficio.com/
They make bug repellent clothes with no smell and clam to last a long time. I want to eventually get there bandanna to see if it really works!

Rick
July 2nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
that video is hilarious!!!!:lmao:

Java
July 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
I use bullfrog that doubles as a sunscreen always seems to work good

something I really wanna try is these guys.
http://www.exofficio.com/
They make bug repellent clothes with no smell and clam to last a long time. I want to eventually get there bandanna to see if it really works!

they just opened a store in Cherry Creek, I'll have to go and see them. thanks!!

Rick
July 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Drink Beer,eat Garlic and smoke a cigar and everything will stay away from you:D

Java
July 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Drink Beer,eat Garlic and smoke a cigar and everything will stay away from you:D

you'd think, but I'm married anyway... :2thumbup:

Squshiee1
July 2nd, 2013, 05:05 PM
Those are 2 of the best comments i've seen in awhile. :lmao:

Brad
July 2nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Great video! I use a picaridin spray as it is gear safe. Works pretty good, only bite I got at the sand hills was through my sock, must have missed that area. :thumb:

Chris
July 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
you'd think, but I'm married anyway... :2thumbup:

:lmao: If there was a "Best of FR4x4" that would be on top. Good one Paul!

Shane
July 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
It even works on the wife :D

Shane
July 2nd, 2013, 07:28 PM
We use bite blocker it is the only kind that does not contain deet. here is a link to check it out http://www.biteblocker.com/intro.html. We have been useing it for about 6-7 yrs never got a bite!

RockyMtnHigh
July 2nd, 2013, 10:21 PM
I really hate using anything, but there are those times when I have to, especially when fishing. My first choice is a Avon product called Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus it works pretty good and also acts as a sun block. When that doesn't work and it's rare, I also carry a bottle of Repel 100% deet.

Rick
July 2nd, 2013, 10:23 PM
Skin So Soft Bug Guard Pluswe use that .....good stuff

Rick
July 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
we use that .....good stuffOh yeah and Beer ,garlic and cigars:eek:

Jackie
July 2nd, 2013, 10:31 PM
Avon "Skin So Soft" works great, but it is so smelly. The bears would love you!

Rick
July 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
The bears would love you!good point

RockyMtnHigh
July 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
The bears would love you!

See below...

Oh yeah and Beer ,garlic and cigars:eek:

The beer and garlic (whiskey in my case) counter act the smell of the Skin So Soft, tobacco seals the deal!

:lmao:

Tom
July 2nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
Mosquitos. Colorado doesn't have any stinking mosquitos. Visit MN. You need 100% deet there. I have not required anything since moving back 13 years ago.

Jackie
July 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Haha! From a fellow Minnesota gal, I can appreciate your comment!

otisdog
July 3rd, 2013, 07:36 AM
http://homes.yahoo.com/news/10-ways-to-combat-mosquitoes-naturally-160831018.html

Java
July 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
Mosquitos. Colorado doesn't have any stinking mosquitos. Visit MN. You need 100% deet there. I have not required anything so moving back 13 years ago.

I've never seen them anywhere in CO like North Park, we weren't prepared for it last time. I never use anything in CO either, but luckily I have a small 98% Deep Woods OFF deet spray in my hiking pack / emergency kit that got us through. Had to douse the dog too. The only worse I've seen was in the Florida Everglades where its like you get attacked by a cloud.

southpaws3
July 3rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
we use "Off clips" we have one on each of us and one at each corner of our camp site . Works great we just returned back from IOWA and we have no bug bites , ticks , no creepy crawly issues '

Rick
July 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
"Off clips"wondered if those worked or not.......might pick some up tonight on the way out to the Lake...

Tom
July 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
I've never seen them anywhere in CO like North Park, we weren't prepared for it last time. I never use anything in CO either, but luckily I have a small 98% Deep Woods OFF deet spray in my hiking pack / emergency kit that got us through. Had to douse the dog too. The only worse I've seen was in the Florida Everglades where its like you get attacked by a cloud.
Still doesn't compare to MN I suspect. Portaging a canoe one time, inside was covered black with mosquitos. Not to mention the biting black flies that draw blood.:D

dscowell
July 3rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
Portaging a canoe one time, inside was covered black with mosquitos. Not to mention the biting black flies that draw blood.:D

Man you make MN sound like the worst place in the world to be

Chris
July 3rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
Man you make MN sound like the worst place in the world to be

As another former Minnesotan (25 years) I can support Tom's comment of mosquitos and black flies by water. Unfortunately the Land of 10,000 Lakes makes them unavoidable. On the other hand the sub-zero temperatures compensate for the nasty insects! :D

Tom
July 3rd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Man you make MN sound like the worst place in the world to beLet's see I left 13 years ago and haven't returned even though my wife's family is there and she visits twice a year. When I left I said I would only return when someone died.

Couple of jokes told to me by natives says it best.

1. There are only two seasons in MN: bugs and winter.
2. You know why birds fly upside down over MN? There's nothing worth sh*tting on there.

:D:D:D

Jackie
July 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
Britton and I left MN 30 years ago when we were only 20 - 21 yrs. old. We've gone back for funerals and occasional holidays. That's it. Sometimes Britton takes our youngest girl up to visit her gramma for a few days in the summer, but that's it. For me, now, I'll committ to Thanksgiving weekend and I'm outta there!

(Dishes done. Bags packed. Thank you. Bye, bye.)

xaza
July 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I always thought the skeeters were bad in Nebraska but with the lakes I bet Minnesota is pretty bad. Is it a short bug season there since it takes so long to thaw out? Y'all have chiggers there too? NE has tons of em and they are way worse than a skeeter bite any day.

Tom
July 4th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I always thought the skeeters were bad in Nebraska but with the lakes I bet Minnesota is pretty bad. Is it a short bug season there since it takes so long to thaw out? Y'all have chiggers there too? NE has tons of em and they are way worse than a skeeter bite any day.
Bugs june through sept. Biting black flies wounds fester for weeks. Chiggers, I suspect. They have em in IA. I never had a prob with em.

glacierpaul
July 4th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Listerine mouthwash does work too. It will leave you sort of sticky, but it is not harmful to ingest or get on you or animals or food. You can spray gear, clothes, surrounding area(picnic tables, chairs, tent, etc.) It does require repeated applications, so I have a little squirt bottle. I do use Deep Woods Off as well, put it on and done. I have also wondered about the clips.
Tom, living up here by alpine lakes sure has plenty of skeetters, have you forgotten :), I do realize there are worse places, but we absolutely have skeeters and fairly big ones up here.

Chris
July 4th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Britton and I left MN 30 years ago when we were only 20 - 21 yrs. old.

Barb and I moved to MN after getting married and stayed for 25 years. It was a great place to live and raise our kids but winters got long and Barb worked out a job transfer here so we left. We brought our family with us so there's never been any reason to go back. I plan to revisit the North Shore which is absolutely great. In all seriousness the mosquitos aren't any worse there than anywhere else in the Midwest from my experience.

Tom
July 4th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Listerine mouthwash does work too. It will leave you sort of sticky, but it is not harmful to ingest or get on you or animals or food. You can spray gear, clothes, surrounding area(picnic tables, chairs, tent, etc.) It does require repeated applications, so I have a little squirt bottle. I do use Deep Woods Off as well, put it on and done. I have also wondered about the clips.
Tom, living up here by alpine lakes sure has plenty of skeetters, have you forgotten :), I do realize there are worse places, but we absolutely have skeeters and fairly big ones up here.
I know there are skeeters in CO. I'm just giving flack cause in all truthfulness I've had virtually no prob since I left MN and they suckeed me dry there. :lmao:

Chris
July 4th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I moved here in 2001 and have gotten exactly one mosquito bite, I love CO!

Brad
July 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Originally from Wisconsin so I get the Mosquitos. I believe it's in our DNA to hunt them down. :D

Jackie
July 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM
For some reason, skeeters like me a lot. I do not like them in return.

I bet I could count on one hand how many bites I have gotten in my 11 yrs. in CO.

Sorry.... MN = :erm: (for many reasons). Bye bye.