PDA

View Full Version : 1990 XJ Window Regulator/Motor Needed

carpenle
July 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM
My passenger front window is not going down, I tested the switches and they seem fine, so I think I need a new/used window motor. Anybody have one in their garage?

xaza
July 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Would be a good idea to check with test light at motor. XJs have a problem with switches loosing their ground and not working anymore, even though switch is switching. On mine I simply created a new ground at the door that switch was not working, passenger front IIRC. I think the driver door runs ground through window lock switch, been a few years since I had my problem.

Hypoid
July 8th, 2013, 11:19 PM
My '90 was always breaking the wire at the motor housing. Since those are set in epoxy it's a real pain to work around. I did redneck a fix that does not involve replacing the entire regulator. If your wires are broken at the motor housing, let me know. :thumb:

carpenle
July 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Well Mike the wires are broken at the motor housing you are correct. What did you do to fix it?

Hypoid
July 9th, 2013, 09:30 PM
The first time I was in a hurry, put an eye on the broken wire and drove a drywall screw into the epoxy were the wire came out. That was short lived.

The second go-round, I got the brush holder/field coils from the junkyard and installed it on the back of my existing armature. That was more involved, but easier than removing the entire regulator. I took some pictures for a write up, I'll see if I can finish that.

carpenle
July 10th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Look forward to the write up. I was able to get the wire soldered back in, but not sure how it will hold up. At least it is working for now.

Hypoid
April 12th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I took some pictures for a write up, I'll see if I can finish that.Done! http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19904-Ghetto-Fixes!&p=260807#post260807